www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album? 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Bastard.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Fear Of The Dark was always crap too, BTW. A few decent songs between the two albums, but moslty pub rock filler.

Crap is a bit harsh, but it isn't very good, that's for sure. I liked songs like Be Quick or Be Dead and For Here To Eternity in the early 90's, but they sound like shit to me now.

I'm very critical of their post-Dickinson reunion albums, but I'd take every single one of them over FOTD, including Book of Souls, which I'm hardly crazy about.

So yeah, maybe it is a bit crap after all! :lol: Or just very bland/ordinary.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:14 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Remember Tomorrow
Prodigal Son
Children Of The Damned
To Tame A Land
Back In The Village
Sea Of Madness
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Sign Of The Cross
The Clansman
Out Of The Silent Planet
-
For the Greater Good of God
-
-

Taking a guess on some of those albums I barely ever listen to. And there's 3 I don't own so can't comment.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:48 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This is, if you're just taking one track from each album, it doesn't necessarily make a good comp.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Green Man wrote:

Ah come on dawg

1. Phantom Of The Opera
2. Murders Int Rue Morgue
3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
4. Where Eagles Dare
5. Rime of The Ancient Mariner
6. Alexander The Great
7. Run Silent, Run Deep
8. Be Quick Or Be Dead
9. Man On The Edge
10... aaaaaaaaaand we're done with the Iron Maiden catalogue

WAS wrote:
EVERYTHING GOT RUINED IN 1993

Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:03 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Skipping Seventh Son is ridiculous. Fucking hell.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:01 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Killers - Title Track
Number of the Beast - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Piece of Mind - The Trooper (boring I know, but Still Life is a close second)
Powerslave - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Somewhere in Time - Caught Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Title Track
No Prayer for the Dying - N/A
Fear of the Dark - Title Track
The X Factor - Man on the Edge
Virtual XI - The Educated Fool
Brave New World - The Nomad
Dance of Death - Title Track

And that's where my list stops.

Stat_Rad wrote:
I liked songs like Be Quick or Be Dead and For Here To Eternity in the early 90's, but they sound like shit to me now.

Those were the only two songs that I liked apart from the title track, and they were both 4/5 tracks for me in the past, but now From Here to Eternity really doesn't do it for me.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Solaris wrote:

Yeah my rep is shattered. More surprised that anyone's even responded to a post than omitting my favourite Maiden album though. It is Infinite Dreams or Only The Good Die Young.. Couldn't decide and forgot to backfill the cunt didn't I.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

EditeditediT wrote:
Green Man wrote:

Ah come on dawg

1. Phantom Of The Opera
2. Murders Int Rue Morgue
3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
4. Where Eagles Dare
5. Rime of The Ancient Mariner
6. Alexander The Great
7. Run Silent, Run Deep
8. Be Quick Or Be Dead
9. Man On The Edge
10... aaaaaaaaaand we're done with the Iron Maiden catalogue

WAS wrote:
EVERYTHING GOT RUINED IN 1993

Solaris wrote:

I love how offended Iron Maiden fans get. :lol:

It's like when you go to an Iron Maiden concert and it's like a contest to see who the "real" fans are. It's kinda like everybody has to whip out their dicks to see which ones have Eddie tattoed on them.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:28 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^^ :lol:

Been listening to AMOLAD lately. It's definitely better than I remembered. The production is way too flat, but there are some very good songs on there like The Pilgrim, For The Greater Good of God (despite its length), Brighter Than A Thousand Suns etc. It sounds mature while remaining forceful, unlike DOD or TFF. It's the last Maiden album that really hangs together as a cohesive album rather than just a collection of good songs.

Different World is a strange one though. Not only is it completely different in tone to the rest of the album, it has a chorus that is straight out of an early 00's US sitcom.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:45 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Okay, so I've been on a huge Maiden kick lately, and I think a case can easily be made that no other metal band had the run they had from 1980 to 1988. It was just phenomenal.

Black Sabbath also had a great run from their debut to Sabotage.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:15 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Okay, so I've been on a huge Maiden kick lately, and I think a case can easily be made that no other metal band had the run they had from 1980 to 1988. It was just phenomenal.

Black Sabbath also had a great run from their debut to Sabotage.

Both true.
Considering the rate both bands churned them out it's extraordinary how good the material was. I'd also suggest Voivod up to The Outer Limits.

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^I haven't listened closely enough to Voivod's discography to comment.

I would have said Priest too, from 1976-1984, but Point of Entry wrecked their great run of albums.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:06 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The only difficulties were Hallowed VS COTD, Wrathchild VS KIllers & Judas VS Fear Is The Key. Those can go either way.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:53 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

blacklorre wrote:
Judas VS Fear Is The Key

Surprised at this. Fear Is The Key is one of the red-flag-est things they did with Dicko IMO.

Man, I've given some of the 'reunion' albums another go on the back of this thread. I didn't like Brave New World at the time, and played with the subsequent ones like America played with the metric system...

I am super skeptical and cynical about the whole operation, but feeling I might have been a bit dismissive or unfair, I've played all of them again this past couple of weeks and just zoned out so easily. It's just not got that thing, I'd rather listen to a lot of other classic styled heavy metal. They're not shit, I'll give it that, but that's relative to the very very shit Virtual XI isn't it. If Maiden were especially close to your heart, I can imagine the relief of them returning to at-least-acceptable. I loved em back when, but was obviously happy to let them go. A lot of brilliant stuff jus sits in the canon.

I found too much of the material unmemorable, poorly structured and in overly long arrangements. This doesn't mean they're "progressive" (this has always got on my tits), it seems more like they just didn't know how to end the tracks because in the main, they're set up like rows of non-sequitur ideas. I won't go as far as outright incohesive but I did feel like all of these records could have been easily re-imagined with 20-25 shorter tracks with no extra stuff added. Those types of longer arrangements worked for me when it was the odd one or two on the older records, telling epic tales among pretty well rounded, succinct tunes. It came off like scenes in a theatrical play. Not here.

Positively disliked The Final Frontier, sticking it on was such a forced foray for me and I didn't even make it 2/3 way through this time. No need for me to try pick a favourite track from any. None of it rang true, it's all just 21st century Maiden soup. Personally I think all of Bruce's solo outings are better than all of them. Fuck it, aint no thang.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Regarding new and old Maiden, to some degree the preferences are generational. I've noticed that the younger generations who were first exposed to Maiden with Brave New World or Dance of Death tend to really appreciate their albums from 2000 onward. If this wasn't true, there is no way they would have many fans in the younger generations.

Maiden are not a nostalgia band in the way that Motley Crue and other 80's bands are. They have moved forward, for better or worse, and have thrived on their own terms since Bruce and Adrian rejoined in the late 90's.

I've found myself warming towards albums that I was previously somewhat indifferent to, or at least had mixed feelings about, like A Matter of Life and Death and Book of Souls as well. Are they classic albums? No, but they both have some genuinely great moments on them.

Overall, despite their excesses, especially in the song length department, Maiden have aged far better than most, if not all, of their contemporaries.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This is why I love this forum! :D

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Stat_Rad wrote:
Regarding new and old Maiden, to some degree the preferences are generational. I've noticed that the younger generations who were first exposed to Maiden with Brave New World or Dance of Death tend to really appreciate their albums from 2000 onward. If this wasn't true, there is no way they would have many fans in the younger generations.

Maiden are not a nostalgia band in the way that Motley Crue and other 80's bands are. They have moved forward, for better or worse, and have thrived on their own terms since Bruce and Adrian rejoined in the late 90's.

I've found myself warming towards albums that I was previously somewhat indifferent to, or at least had mixed feelings about, like A Matter of Life and Death and Book of Souls as well. Are they classic albums? No, but they both have some genuinely great moments on them.

Overall, despite their excesses, especially in the song length department, Maiden have aged far better than most, if not all, of their contemporaries.

I agree with the spirit of this, I wouldn't say that an accusation of nostalgia is at the heart of my skepticism... nobody's gonna be like "oh, I remember these guys, this takes me back!!" like they would with the good example of Motley Crue.

It's actually a bit difficult to pinpoint it.. It starts with Rod Smallwood and Steve Harris, I'm grateful for what I've got out of Maiden, but not keen on those guys. Following it, perhaps there's a bit of feeling like there's a presumptuousness and machine-like commercial quality about it all. I know that's all ideological, but to me it resonates through the products they're making - that is what it feels like they're doing. It's almost like the new Maiden records are Maiden merchandise than artistry necessarily. I'd say they lost the touch and have tried to really force it back, and just about got there by way of self-referencing, but still not quite good enough for me personally. I just find myself unmoved by them, and not motivated to get to that point where familiarity is what attaches me to them.

In a way, recognising that it isn't just a nostalgia exercise per se puts the albums they've made onto the table for proper consideration. In that sense, I think I'm respectful of what they do by taking them fairly objectively. And I don't think they're very good. They'd better have had a few great moments on them! They were obviously lost on me.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

EditeditediT wrote:
It's actually a bit difficult to pinpoint it.. It starts with Rod Smallwood and Steve Harris, I'm grateful for what I've got out of Maiden, but not keen on those guys. Following it, perhaps there's a bit of feeling like there's a presumptuousness and machine-like commercial quality about it all. I know that's all ideological, but to me it resonates through the products they're making - that is what it feels like they're doing. It's almost like the new Maiden records are Maiden merchandise than artistry necessarily. I'd say they lost the touch and have tried to really force it back, and just about got there by way of self-referencing, but still not quite good enough for me personally. I just find myself unmoved by them, and not motivated to get to that point where familiarity is what attaches me to them.

It does look that way, but at same time, if it was just merchandise then surely they would listen more closely to fans and edit down the length of the songs, polish up the sound etc? There is definitely a pattern to the complaints about their last few releases, but the band aren't listening.

I think the real problem with modern Maiden is that they have no interest in seriously collaborating with anyone. Kevin Shirley, for example, is just a hired gun, and he does what he is told. He was not happy with Harris approving the rough mix of A Matter of Life and Death, and rightly so: the songs deserved better.

No record label has a say either because Maiden are easy money for them, so they just leave them to their own devices. If it ain't broke and all that.

EditeditediT wrote:
In a way, recognising that it isn't just a nostalgia exercise per se puts the albums they've made onto the table for proper consideration. In that sense, I think I'm respectful of what they do by taking them fairly objectively. And I don't think they're very good. They'd better have had a few great moments on them! They were obviously lost on me.

This is a pretty powerful song imo. It's an example of where the extended moody/soft build up works because it explodes with Bruce pushing his vocals to the upper limits of his range. Plus the lyrics are quite intense. A very good example of 'mature' Maiden:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^I haven't listened closely enough to Voivod's discography to comment.

I would have said Priest too, from 1976-1984, but Point of Entry wrecked their great run of albums.

British Steel can also bugger off as far as I'm concerned. I actually enjoyed more songs on Point of Entry.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next