www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album? 
Infant-ry
Infant-ry

Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Stat_Rad wrote:
This is a pretty powerful song imo. It's an example of where the extended moody/soft build up works because it explodes with Bruce pushing his vocals to the upper limits of his range. Plus the lyrics are quite intense. A very good example of 'mature' Maiden:

As an isolated example, I fail to see it. Bruce always works it, that's not the issue. He's a monster. I still can't say objectively terrible, but in all, it sounds charmlessly tatty, somewhat artless, uncompelling to me. Post reunion, I've only disliked TFF more than AMOLAD, I just can't see it :/

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Fair enough. I think with a better sound songs like this would really pop. I like this one. It was originally meant for Dickinson's next solo album apparently.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Infant-ry
Infant-ry

Funny, that - trying to be less verbose about it, I got rid of saying that the other one sounded like a mid album track on some of Bruce's solo ventures. Maybe even any of them besides Chemical Wedding. Bruce is such a strong sell for reformed Maiden that some dirty, dirty stuff seems to have gone right under the radar. I'm no bastion of great taste but it hits my nose like an eggy fart every time.

I agree production is a big problem, and it's not just the perceived pop of the sound. You've kind of hit the nail on the head in saying that Steve's domination is spoiling this. He has bad taste, and funny enough it might be what worked for me in the past in making Maiden's output a fun experience with a slightly naive basis... but that was all whipped up into great professional products by people who knew what they were doing i.e.Martin Birch. A producer is supposed to do that - determine what's a good take (or more crucially, what isn't), cast an objective eye in directing the sound engineers, etc. etc. Steve is bad at it.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

For sure. A lot of Bruce's vocals sound like first takes. He sounds better live most of the time singing new songs from Brave New World onward.

I get the impression that Shirley is just a yes man type producer in general. He was probably under Portnoy's thumb when he was working with Dream Theater.

Harris is bad at it for many reasons. One of them could be that he is quite deaf at this point.

Harris is a very good to great songwriter and arranger, but as a producer he is arse. Always has been.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm
Infant-ry
Infant-ry

Stat_Rad wrote:
For sure. A lot of Bruce's vocals sound like first takes. He sounds better live most of the time singing new songs from Brave New World onward.

I get the impression that Shirley is just a yes man type producer in general. He was probably under Portnoy's thumb when he was working with Dream Theater.

Harris is bad at it for many reasons. One of them could be that he is quite deaf at this point.

Harris is a very good to great songwriter and arranger, but as a producer he is arse. Always has been.

Thing is - Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci (both Berklee graduates...) are actually very good record producers, they know their shit DEEEEEEP, and I think it's to their credit that they understand that a 3rd party with a good (great) history is still an important thing. They still need good mix engineers.

EDIT: That's stupid, of course they know it's important, that's what they went to music school for. It's more to the point that Steve probably doesn't.

Steve Harris is more like a Blind Idiot God who just had the knack for, as you say, writing compelling heavy metal. In terse terms, he then believes his own hype and goes "look - who's the expert here? Me, who's bossed Iron Maiden to international infamy, or YOU, who's not Steve Harris?". You'd call that an executive producer. Final say.

That is very terse though... it is very unlikely that Steve Harris is sitting there twiddling nobs. Like DT, he still needs the likes of Kevin Shirley - a notoriously good/successful mix engineer i.e.the person who actually knows how to operate studio equipment in order to fulfil the producer's directions. He's definitely going to have some input as a suggestion maker as well, not just a white-glove equipment operator, and ought to have be credited as a producer as he was. Producer is a fluffy and often misunderstood term tbh, by a lot of musicians as well. Steve has executive control, I get the impression that he makes bad decisions about music production as well as on where to relinquish control - that aint on Kevin Shirley.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^I doubt Harris is twiddling the knobs, but Shirley is working for him, not the label, which changes the entire dynamic. Maiden don't listen to anyone, and why would they? They have been successful on their own terms for 40 years.

If I was Harris or Dickinson, I probably wouldn't be too keen on listening to others either! :lol:

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10