www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Forthcoming Albums Vol. 2
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next
 Forthcoming Albums Vol. 2 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Forthcoming Albums Vol. 2
Stat_Rad wrote:
Catharsis was a fucking joke.

If Flynn doesn't reteam with the original members, I have little faith that he can release good music again. His judgement is totally off, and he'll probably just hire goons he can push around.

That's why all his bandmates left wasn't it? He just wanted them to be hired goons and they weren't having it.

Talk about destroying the legacy of an album that, in my eyes [pun intended], reinvigorated metal for me at the time.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:36 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Pretty much. Apparently Flynn became really controlling during their nu-metal phase then backed off a bit for a while when Demmel joined because he needed to collaborate closely with others to save the band from ruin. At least that's the impression I get anyway. You can tell that Duce hated that time, especially Supercharger.

As soon as I heard about his ideas for Catharsis, I knew the other guys had little input, especially Demmel. There is no way he would have been happy making that album, and he has pretty much admitted to disliking it and has publicly criticised Flynn's shit lyrics.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Still, it can't be any worse than Catharsis, so there's that.

It is easily their worst album. At least Supercharger had Bulldozer, and the title track wasn't bad either.

The worst thing about Catharsis is that you can really tell that Flynn thought he was making a big musical statement. He wanted it to be 'important'. It completely backfired, and now he is in an even worse place than he was after Supercharger flopped. The guitarist of the time left, but he was replaced with Demmel who was far superior anyway, so while they were in trouble creatively and financially, there was at least solid lineup in place.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

They bounced back from Supercharger with TTAOE, which was a pleasant and massive surprise, but I don't think anyone's expecting a similar return to form here. If the reformed line-up stuck it out and had some input, maybe there'd be a chance of some quality coming through but it seems he's just going to surround himself with hired goons again, so we'll probably have more of the same. Unless, of course, we have another genre hop, in which case he might fluke it and come up with the goods.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Logan Mader would never return to Machine Head full time imo. He has done well as a producer and apparently owns a successful business or two with his wife (I think). I don't think Rob would want him to either.

The last possibility you mentioned is extremely remote, but I guess it would be a pleasant surprise if it actually worked.

I'd definitely be interested in a new MH album that featured Mader and Kontos though, for sure, and so would most of their old school fans.

I know there are many big fans of their output since the mid 00's, but my view is similar to yours although less harsh: Ashes was a great comeback and one of their best albums, but everything after it was patchy, including The Blackening.

Yes there were many highlights on those albums, and I definitely appreciated the diversity of Bloodstones, but there are too many long songs on those albums that really try my patience. The albums are too long as well. The last two were 70 mins plus.

Machine Head are at their very best when they are being direct. That's why their first two albums are their best albums. There is no fucking around, they just went in for the kill, and the tracks that were longer, like Violate and Blood of The Zodiac, for example, were really damn good. Descend The Shades of Night was a really good album closer on Ashes too.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Unto The Locust and Catharsis are laughably bad, almost unlistenable to my ears (who'd have though that Supercharger wouldn't be the worst they could do when it came out?). I never had much time for The Blackening TBH, too long and very unfocussed, just throw a riff at it, that'll help. It didn't. Bloodstones was OK but ultimately forgettable and again, overlong.

Maybe, just maybe, he'll find some restraint after playing BME's songs every night, and tighten up his writing, but I seriously doubt it. The sense of expectation around Machine Head is a thing of the past.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I don't reckon Locust is laughable, just dull. Most of it anyway. Some OK songs, but it didn't really hold my interest. Shit cover too.

Catharsis is a real low for them. I honestly can't believe how bad it is at times. Flynn's lyrics really ruin even the songs that are decent musically.

I doubt they will make another really good album again too. Flynn is too arrogant and delusional now. He thinks his shit doesn't stink.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Someone's uploaded this to YouTube already. Worth a listen for a laugh. Guitarist is worse than Logan.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:46 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The song I just heard sounds really uninspired:

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:54 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Logan Mader would never return to Machine Head full time imo. He has done well as a producer and apparently owns a successful business or two with his wife (I think). I don't think Rob would want him to either.

I would pay money to see Flynn get Mader to play Devil With the King's Card. :lol:

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The new Manowar EP is great, just as long as you don't expect anything remotely new and take it for exactly what it is - a short release from two ageing loincloth wearers and their worshippers.

There are only three actual songs on the EP, and every single one of them is better than anything on Lord of Steel. Even the one where Joey growls his way through lead vocal duties. It's a throwback to better, earlier times with the help of some familiar melodies and arrangements, but thankfully without any sign of the bass full of angry bees that Joey played on LOS.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Looks like your typical progressive metal cover artwork right there! :lol:

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
The new Manowar EP is great, just as long as you don't expect anything remotely new and take it for exactly what it is - a short release from two ageing loincloth wearers and their worshippers.

There are only three actual songs on the EP, and every single one of them is better than anything on Lord of Steel. Even the one where Joey growls his way through lead vocal duties. It's a throwback to better, earlier times with the help of some familiar melodies and arrangements, but thankfully without any sign of the bass full of angry bees that Joey played on LOS.

I reckon Expendable and Touch The Sky are at least better than 2 of them.

The problem is the sound. No fart bass true, but it's so goddamn flat.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

I would pay money to see Flynn get Mader to play Devil With the King's Card. :lol:

This is lost on me.

I still recall Flynn trying to downplay Logan's departure by claiming that he writes 80% (?) of the riffs anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Not only was that statement completely arrogant, it was also clueless. It's the 20% that other band members contribute that ultimately brings his riffs to life and makes the difference between really good songs and a genuinely great ones.

Demmel is cool, but for my taste the guitar work became too wanky when he joined the band.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Three of the more interesting US black metal bands have new albums in July:

Yellow Eyes - Rare Field Ceiling

Falls of Rauros - Patterns in Mythology

False - Portent

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^I like the cover of the 3rd one. Never heard of any of those bands.

There is a new Sunn album out soon, not sure if that has already been mentioned. It's out at the end of April.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:37 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

New Tool,heavily rumoured for may/June

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

This is lost on me.

I still recall Flynn trying to downplay Logan's departure by claiming that he writes 80% (?) of the riffs anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Not only was that statement completely arrogant, it was also clueless. It's the 20% that other band members contribute that ultimately brings his riffs to life and makes the difference between really good songs and a genuinely great ones.

Demmel is cool, but for my taste the guitar work became too wanky when he joined the band.

DWTKC is all about Mader.
Flynn didn't think too highly of him at that point.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Yes, I realised that a day after I posted that reply.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next