www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - MEGADETH 'Dystopia'.............(official thread)
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 MEGADETH 'Dystopia'.............(official thread) 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: MEGADETH 'Dystopia'.............(official thread)
I think Slayer's influence on the band has been overstated. It's only really present in their intense straight forward thrash workouts.

The Power Of Inner Strength is not a consistent album. It has a coherent sound, and it certainly has some excellent songs, but as a whole it's Grip's worst album to me. It's too one dimensional.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:24 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

It's a great album. Grip's worst is an 8/10 and I would give it to Solidify.

Nemesis and Incorporated are the best. I LOVE Grip Inc, miles and miles ahead of Slayer. On all albums (for the time Lombardo was out).

Grip (and Testament and Fantomas) was the reason I was on a posting frenzy on any article that carried the feud between Lombardo and Slayer (back when Lombardo was fired for the last time), my blood was boiling with all the shit Slayer "fans" (Kerry King groupies more accurately) were writing.

Turns out Lombardo himself liked what I had to say, friended me on FB and posted on my timeline. I saw that and squeaked like a schoolgirl :mrgreen:

I listened to the cover by Exumer. Not bad but definitely not touching the original. Funnily enough, I saw that there is a different drummer on that song, Sodom's current drummer, and ex-bandmate of Waldemar Sorychta in Despair. I liked the solo and sure enough, Waldemart plays it. Did you also notice a different voice in the verse? It's none other than Rob Dukes! And I gotta admit, when I first heard it I thought of Souza, so...

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I have to agree with Vic, Solidify is the weakest album. Nemesis is probably the best album but Hostage to Heaven is my fave Grip Inc track, then Rusty Nail probably. Incorporated was good but by that time they were treading water a bit, rehashing the same stuff rather than innovating.
Saw Grip Inc twice, the first time supporting Kreator and they were a bit ropey, but the second time on the Nemesis tour headlining and they were fucking incredible.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

For me each album was probably better than the one that preceded it. I had mixed feelings about Solidify at first, but it really grew on me.

Nemesis was their least stylistically cohesive album, but somehow it works.

Incoporated was no retread.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
For me each album was probably better than the one that preceded it. I had mixed feelings about Solidify at first, but it really grew on me.

Nemesis was their least stylistically cohesive album, but somehow it works.

Incoporated was no retread.

Wow, me and you aren't gonna agree on this one! :lol:

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

That's actually my first time to hear Grip Inc. too, it's fucking great apart from the vocals.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I will agree too though that Incorporated was not a retread. It was filled with stuff they never tried before. They don't have songs like (Built to) Resist for example on the other albums (MASTERPIECE).

I was lucky enough to see them in 1997, Nemesis tour too. Indeed incredible. There was a fantastic chemistry between the three of them. They (Waldemar and Lombardo) really should have found more time for Grip Inc.

Have you guys heard Enemy of the Sun? It's Waldemar's German version of Grip. It's 100% Grip music but with two flaws: inferior drummer (still very good though) and much inferior singer. Actually the singer is not good I'm afraid, he's defintiely the weakest link. But still very much worth looking into if you like Grip Inc. and especially Waldemar's guitar style (I WORSHIP IT).

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

For the benefit of those who just looked into Grip, Gus Chambers (Grip Inc. vocalist) has died, so no more Grip Inc, the band released an EP last year with some material (including a remix of Hostage to Heaven that is very tasty).

When Grip thrashed, 90s-00s Slayer had no chance.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
I've heard the new Megadeth album.

First impressions are that it's the best thing they've done in years but that's not saying much. I'm looking at either 3 or 4 Fists. It'll take a few more listens to decide.

I've decided...

It's Four Fists.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
That's actually my first time to hear Grip Inc. too, it's fucking great apart from the vocals.

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Enemy Of The Sun = weak sauce. It is like taking a V8 motor out of a muscle car and replacing it with a V2. On the surface it's essentially the same car, but it lacks the same power and inner strength ;)

They were the light beer equivalent of Grip Inc for pansies that couldn't hack full strength!

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:39 am
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Harsh assessment and one that ignores the songwriting which is of the highest calibre. I don't like the singer either but it's not a deal breaker and certainly doesn't nagate the (VERY) good stuff found in the two albums.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I relistened to some songs earlier and the writing is average best. Most of Waldemar's ideas are recycled from the Grip days, and there are a few riffs that sound suspiciously like ones that featured on earlier Grip albums.

What it lacks is power and vision. Songs alone aren't enough without that essential motivating force.

I can't ignore the vocals because they are weak. Gus was so much better, there is just no comparison.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I don't get why people say they sound great but shit vocals (Grip Inc, I mean). I think the vocals are perfect for the style, not too 'grunty', powerful and not just late-period Slayer hardcore bellowing.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Stat_Rad wrote:
I relistened to some songs earlier and the writing is average best. Most of Waldemar's ideas are recycled from the Grip days, and there are a few riffs that sound suspiciously like ones that featured on earlier Grip albums.

What it lacks is power and vision. Songs alone aren't enough without that essential motivating force.

I can't ignore the vocals because they are weak. Gus was so much better, there is just no comparison.

I can only agree with that last sentence. I can accept your opinion in the first sentence. But the rest is just plain wrong.

Gus Chambers was an awesome vocalist.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Apparently Waldy played on the Grip cover on the Exumer album. So the not quite as good solo was presumably his fault! Pah.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vic wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

I can only agree with that last sentence. I can accept your opinion in the first sentence. But the rest is just plain wrong.

You could have just said "The middle line of your post is wrong!"

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

turdy wrote:
Vic wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

You could have just said "The middle line of your post is wrong!"

Yeah, fucks sake... wasting everyone's time with unnecessary words! :D

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

:lol:

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:13 am
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I love how you complain about a 3 line post coming from ME. :lol:

Also, you should note that there is a distinction between "sentence" and "paragraph". Like fuck only the middle line of the post was wrong! :P

Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next