www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - "Greatest Hits" bands
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 "Greatest Hits" bands 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post "Greatest Hits" bands
Inspired by the new Megadeth album thread.

There's some bands you can listen to for a bit, and that's just fine, but a whole album just seems a bit of a drag. There's a few good songs on an album, but the rest is just filler, with Megadeth being a prime example.

Some bands I just dump wholesale albums on my mp3 player, but others I've got to be more selective, just doing my own "greatest hits".

Some examples:
KISS. In 40 odd fucking years, they've only produced a couple of decent ALBUMS, but a fuckton of good SONGS. It's always been my theory as to why Kiss' live albums have been so successful- you get "I Was Made For Loving You" but you don't get "2000 Man" or "Sure Know Something" (and please don't go and look at the live albums and find versions of those songs... I don't follow Kiss that obsessively)

Megadeth. I can listen to the first three albums in their entirety, but after that I need to pick and choose, because Mustaine never has. A lot of his songs sound like the first fucking thing that popped into his head...

Metallica. Similar to Megadeth, except it extends to four albums and Garage Days Re-Revisited.

AC/DC. Perfecting the art of the filler song since 1974.

I'm sure there's others, but I got up at 2.30 this morning and my mind has gone blank... :geek:

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:05 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: "Greatest Hits" bands
We had a similar thread to this recently I think, bands which were best heard on shuffle on MP3 players or something.

Anyway.... KISS are a good shout. Best heard on compilations and live albums.

Rush - again, great songs but rarely a whole album's worth of them.

The Stones - great singles band, best heard in that format really. Ditto with The Who, apart from Who's Next which still stands up as a great album.

Hendrix - when he nails it he REALLY goes into the stratosphere, but from what I've heard he doesn't do that often enough over a full album.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:53 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Can't agree on AC/DC though. I don't think their records have much filler until after Back In Black. The late 80s ones are iffy in that regard, as is the last one, but Ballbreaker and Black Ice are both very consistent.

Not sure I'd put Metallica or Megadeth there either, given that their earlier work is pretty good for the most part. Greatest Hits bands are IMO bands who haven't ever come up with a truly consistent album, or have made just one. Metallica may not have made a consistent record for a while, but their 80s work is all very high quality.

Last edited by Cosmic Equilibrium on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
Inspired by the new Megadeth album thread.

There's some bands you can listen to for a bit, and that's just fine, but a whole album just seems a bit of a drag. There's a few good songs on an album, but the rest is just filler, with Megadeth being a prime example.

Some bands I just dump wholesale albums on my mp3 player, but others I've got to be more selective, just doing my own "greatest hits".

Some examples:
KISS. In 40 odd fucking years, they've only produced a couple of decent ALBUMS, but a fuckton of good SONGS. It's always been my theory as to why Kiss' live albums have been so successful- you get "I Was Made For Loving You" but you don't get "2000 Man" or "Sure Know Something" (and please don't go and look at the live albums and find versions of those songs... I don't follow Kiss that obsessively)

Megadeth. I can listen to the first three albums in their entirety, but after that I need to pick and choose, because Mustaine never has. A lot of his songs sound like the first fucking thing that popped into his head...

Metallica. Similar to Megadeth, except it extends to four albums and Garage Days Re-Revisited.

AC/DC. Perfecting the art of the filler song since 1974.

I'm sure there's others, but I got up at 2.30 this morning and my mind has gone blank... :geek:

Agree about Kiss

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

you could probably make this argument for every single band with more than 5 albums...Slayer, My Dying Bride, Testament, Satyricon, even Maiden latterly.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

AC/DC (the epitome of this phenomenon) and Judas Priest for me, with post-Rust In Peace Megadave and post-Persistence Of Time Anthrax sneaking in, too. I've done compilations for all of 'em.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm convinced AC/DC have never released a 'best of' simply because their retard fans wouldn't realise it wasn't a new album.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I always assumed it was because sales would immediately switch to a greatest hits and album sales would plummet.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:

The mind boggles! Could you get a more 'album oriented' band than Rush?

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:30 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
Metallica. Similar to Megadeth, except it extends to four albums and Garage Days Re-Revisited .

Post Justice is there that much Metallica worth listening to, I mean enough for a GH? I'd say 6-8 tracks on the Black Album, Until it Sleeps, the title track on St Anger, possibly that single they did that was on a film soundtrack. There may be a few more on Re/Load.

A band isn't quite in this category but I think has possibly never made a 5/5 album is the Melvins. They are a 5/5 band, have plenty of 5/5 songs and moments but I don't think any album quite nails a 5/5.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:50 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Mali wrote:

The mind boggles! Could you get a more 'album oriented' band than Rush?

Yeah, I didn't want to get into it, but '2112', 'A Farewell To Kings', 'Hemispheres', 'Permanent Waves', 'Moving Pictures', 'Signals' and 'Grace Under Pressure' are all very good to all-time classic.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:55 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I think 2112 is a good, consistent record. Fly By Night and Permanent Waves hold up OK as well I think. But not really sold on their other albums from what I've heard, just individual songs. Everyone says Moving Pictures is a classic, but TBH while Tom Sawyer is probably my favourite song by them the rest of the album doesn't match that standard. Tried Hemispheres and AFTK, again not as consistent as I hoped.

I've not heard much of their post MP work but in all honesty what I did hear didn't encourage me. The Snakes and Arrows songs were good, but the 80s songs I heard were just awful, very dated.

They just seem to work better on compilations, especially after 1976.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Moving Pictures is a brilliant album, despite Tom Sawyer overwhelming it to a degree. YYZ, Limelight, Red Barchetta... It's ace.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:28 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Hmm maybe I'll give it another try at some point.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:28 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Myrddin wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Metallica. Similar to Megadeth, except it extends to four albums and Garage Days Re-Revisited .

Post Justice is there that much Metallica worth listening to, I mean enough for a GH? I'd say 6-8 tracks on the Black Album, Until it Sleeps, the title track on St Anger, possibly that single they did that was on a film soundtrack. There may be a few more on Re/Load.

Black Album is 4 fists.

There's one absolute classic 5 fist album in the Loads if you take the best songs from both. I'd put that record only behind RTL and AJFA in the album rankings if it existed.

After that it's slim pickings. Both the new songs on S&M are good. The MI:2 song [I Disappear] is terrible. There are no good songs - or even proper songs - on St Anger at all, and precisely one song from Death Magnetic [The Day That Never Comes] that I'd put on a best-of, the rest of the album is pretty dull. There's one OK song on Lulu [Iced Honey] and the rest of the album is just meh, not abysmal but not that good either.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:

Black Album is 4 fists.

There's one absolute classic 5 fist album in the Loads if you take the best songs from both. I'd put that record only behind RTL and AJFA in the album rankings if it existed.

After that it's slim pickings. Both the new songs on S&M are good. The MI:2 song [I Disappear] is terrible. There are no good songs - or even proper songs - on St Anger at all, and precisely one song from Death Magnetic [The Day That Never Comes] that I'd put on a best-of, the rest of the album is pretty dull. There's one OK song on Lulu [Iced Honey] and the rest of the album is just meh, not abysmal but not that good either.

I'd probably give TBA four fists, there are some duff filler songs on there though: Through the Never, The Struggle Within, Don't Tread On Me, Holier Than Thou.

There is no fucking way you could make a five fist album out the Loads, you couldn't even make a four fist one.

Lulu is fucking terrible, it derserves the reputation it has, I'm referring more to their contributions than Reads.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
I'm convinced AC/DC have never released a 'best of' simply because their retard fans wouldn't realise it wasn't a new album.

And we were getting along so well...

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The Black Album is a steaming pile of utter shit. The only thing good about it is the production, which is massive. Even if Metallica had never been a thrash band, the whole thing is so ponderously slow. But not in a good way, like Sabbath or MDB, just as in it sounds like it's delieberately being played 10bpm slower than it was written.

Every few years I try and listen to it again and every time it staggers me just how fucking BORING, TEDIOUS, MIND NUMBINGLY AWFUL it really is.

I'm not and never have been fond of South of Heaven, but in comparison, SOH is AWESOME.

In comparison, Live Undead and Behind the Crooked Cross aren't filler at all but epic pieces of metallic majesty laying waste to all around it.

The one word which sums up TBA is PLODDING. How it managed to sell however million copies it sold, really off the back of a godawful pop-metal single is a constant source of bafflement to me.

And yet, I have a very good friend who loves it to death (which is probably a contributing factor as to why Cycorax never achieved the levels of greatness I had hoped for). :(

I just don't get why anybody has any time at all for classics like 'Don't Tread on Me', 'Of Wolf and Man' 'The God that Failed', 'My Friend of Misery' or 'Sad But True'.

Sad But True is actually shorter than Enter Sandman, which is incredible, I actually thought it was at least 2 minutes longer, such is it's tediousness.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I fucking HATE the Black album. I don't hate Load cos I never cared to listen to it, but the Black album is just awful. AJFA was deeply, deeply flawed, but at least it had something, Blackened and Dyer's Eve are both quality tracks and One is decent as well, the best TBA can muster is Through Though Never, which is at best okay.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Myrddin wrote:
There is no fucking way you could make a five fist album out the Loads, you couldn't even make a four fist one.

Lulu is fucking terrible, it derserves the reputation it has, I'm referring more to their contributions than Reads.

Fuel
The Memory Remains
The House Jack Built
The Unforgiven II
Until It Sleeps
Bleeding Me
Low Man's Lyric
Where The Wild Things Are
Mama Said
Fixxxer
The Outlaw Torn

^ I put together a CD with that tracklisting. The results were great - a brilliant, introspective, confessional and brooding album.

Lulu isn't good, but it's nowhere near as abysmal as St Anger.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

King Nothing is my favourite song from the Loads, that and 2X4. But there's no way you could put together a 5/5 album from those tracks. 3/5, tops.

The s/t album's greatest crime is that is was so overplayed, and that it had Nothing Else Matters on it. It is what it is: a well produced (in the broader sense, as well as the recording one) pop/metal album from a band that owed nothing to anyone at that point in their careers. Yes, they've been mediocre to shit since but as a snapshot of where metal in particular, and popular (as opposed to pop) music was back then, it's as good an example as any.

And Lulu circles the same drain as St. Anger. Both 0/5. Fuck off.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next