www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - RIP Lemmy
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 RIP Lemmy 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: RIP Lemmy
Stat_Rad wrote:
^^That's a pretty big caveat bro! 'These albums are all essential if you are more than a casual fan'. I'd say that's an entirely different category altogether.

To me essential albums are ones that sum up a band/artist's work at either the peak of their powers, or during the peak of their various guises/phases. The problem with Motorhead is that they didn't really change all that much throughout their career, so claiming they have 14 'essential' must have albums is really pushing it. Perhaps 14-15 albums are worth buying if you are a huge fan, but the rest of us don't need that many Motorhead albums.

There are different line-ups represented there who all had their own personality, and there is a progression there, you can't really compare Bomber to Bastards stylistically, and something like Aftershock is different again.

If someone shows some interest beyond just Ace Of Spades or Killed By Death then they are beyond the casual fan for me, and would likely enjoy the albums I have listed, which, even taken objectively in terms of quality of songwriting, are in and of themselves quality albums, with the potential to appeal to more than the hardcore fanbase, given a chance.

As for only two or three essential albums, for a band of that consistency? No. Absolutely not.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The Wretch wrote:
As for only two or three essential albums, for a band of that consistency? No. Absolutely not.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:56 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I agree with Stat. Claiming more than four or five essential Motorhead albums is "overkill".

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:32 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Essential: Motorhead - Orgasmatron.
Inferno.
Can't think of anything else I'd refer to as 'essential', but most of their records have at least a few outstanding tracks on them. My least favourite albums are March Or Die (utter shite), We Are Motorhead, Hammered, Rock n Roll...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:40 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Overkill and Ace Of Spades are the only Motorhead albums I would deem essential.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

blacklorre wrote:

Oh fucking hell, no.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:55 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

March or Die ain't that bad. I mean it IS one of their weakest albums but the s/t track is one of the most godly songs Lemmy ever wrote. It's absolutely fantastic. I was obsessed with it for a while, having it on repeat constantly. And I get that obsession from time to time.

And the "commercial" songs aren't half bad either. Not essential Motorhead obviously.

As for essential Motorhead, well it depends, doesn't it? You could say No Sleep Til Hammersmith is the only essential Motorhead and it wouldn't be that wrong.

Or you could say NSTH, 1916 and Inferno, to get the 3 eras.

Or Bomber, Overkill, Ace of Spades, Orgasmatron, 1916, Bastards, Sacrifice, Inferno, which are my favorite Motorheads btw.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

"Stand", "Asylum choir", "You better run" and the Nuge cover are all much better than either "Hellraiser" or "I ain't no nice guy", if those 2 are what you mean by the commercial songs, Vic.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

They are. I just mentioned them as they caught a lot of flak at the time.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

blacklorre wrote:

I like most of Garage Inc., but I generally skip the tracks on it by The Lemmys. They were fucking dreadful.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I thought they were fine, personally. Disc one (of Garage Inc.) does little for me (especially the godawful version of Whiskey In The Jar) but disc two is almost faultless - So What? is just shit and the production on that, Stone Cold Crazy and Killing Time is fucking anorexic. I suppose they were just demos so it's understandable...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I thought they were woeful personally. The more recent performances with Lemmy as guest were even worse, they made a balls of the songs (Ulrich and Hammett were laughable) and sounded weak as piss.

Vic wrote:
March or Die ain't that bad. I mean it IS one of their weakest albums but the s/t track is one of the most godly songs Lemmy ever wrote. It's absolutely fantastic. I was obsessed with it for a while, having it on repeat constantly. And I get that obsession from time to time.

And the "commercial" songs aren't half bad either. Not essential Motorhead obviously.

It is a solid album that gets a lot of unnecessary criticism. Not essential by any means though.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:23 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I didn't think Metallica's version of "Overkill" was too bad but the other three Motorhead covers were pretty flat.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Metallica has picked some damn good songs to cover over the years, especially all those featured on Garage Days Re-Revisited, but some songs are just wrong, Motorherad and the fuckawful Ramones covers on the St. Anger b-side.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I recant - Orgasmatron is Three Fists.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:20 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Well, you're definitely going in the right direction. No need to stop there though.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:

I guess other bandmembers already knew Lemmy is ill and soon will be done. Shit knowlege, anyway.. it's hard to be happy when you know whats coming. But atleast they all rocked till the end

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Fri May 06, 2016 9:09 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Just got this e-mail. Can't believe it's nearly a year.

Quote:
Petition update
#RaiseAGlass for Lemmy
John Wright
York, United Kingdom

Dec 23, 2016 — It is almost a year now since you signed our Lemmium petition. It was the first week in January when a small idea became a global campaign thanks to you and everybody else who signed.

In the huge interest that the campaign generated across the world we were often asked, did you expect this reaction to your petition? To which the only answer was of course not. But I think a year later we understand it. We think people just wanted to do something, and to say something not just about the significance of the man we had lost but about themselves. Lemmy was a giant, who lived by his own rules and he appeals to the part of us that wishes we could too and we wanted to applaud that. The campaign was a way of Raising your glass and saying we won’t forget the way you made us feel about ourselves.

Well we would like to invite you to raise your glass again, to celebrate Lemmy’s birthday on 24th December. Send us your photo with the hashtag #RaiseAGlass to @Lemmiummetal on Twitter or to our Lemmium Facebook page and we will publish your tribute along with others from around the world. We have been sent photos in from Australia and Japan where it is already the 24th and Motörhead’s management have agreed to post a sample on their website over the week leading up to the anniversary of Lem’s death on 28th.

So get creative friends, share the love and #RaiseAGlass and if you want to catch up on what the Lemmium campaign is up to and how we are working to build a legacy , check us out at http://lemmium.org/
Thank you

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7