www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Phil Anselmo (racism in metal) 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)
i'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but here goes anyway.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/machine_heads_robb_flynn_attacks_phil_anselmo_for_racist_salute_if_you_werent_offended_by_that_fuck_you.html

Perhaps it's also worth widening to other areas of racism in metal.

(Please delete if there is already a thread).

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:47 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)
I'm sure we have talked about it before, though mainly with the NSBM type crowd, and the ideas of separating the creator (and their political/philosophical viewpoints from their art). Though this seems to be creating quite a stir at the moment in certain blog spots/'news' sites, so maybe it is worth having a thread for it as it is a current development. It sure beats another Vs. poll thread ;)

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:54 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I'm sure we have talked about it before, though mainly with the NSBM type crowd, and the ideas of separating the creator (and their political/philosophical viewpoints from their art). Though this seems to be creating quite a stir at the moment in certain blog spots/'news' sites, so maybe it is worth having a thread for it as it is a current development. It sure beats another Vs. poll thread ;)

Haha indeed.

Ok. I've never believed Anselmo to be the sharpest tool in the box, but I never thought he would stoop this low.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:55 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's not surprising. Anselmo was a big fan of Anal Cunt, and if you look even slightly past the main releases, there's some pretty nasty racist stuff going on there. When I saw Pantera Anselmo set the local skins on some guy who yelled at him from the audience. He's always been a cunt.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:57 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machih ... r-gesture/

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:03 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Whilst Phil is a dickhead Robb Flynn can fuck right off.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:04 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

ChrisLiebing wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machihe-heads-robb-flynn-slams-big-bully-philip-anselmo-over-white-power-gesture/

I've watched Flynn's video and good on him, I say. I'm not a fan of his band (not since Burn my Eyes, any way), but my opinion of him has gone up a notch.

Quote:
Robb Flynn can fuck right off.

Why? He's saying what needs to be said.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

doomrider wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machihe-heads-robb-flynn-slams-big-bully-philip-anselmo-over-white-power-gesture/

I've watched Flynn's video and good on him, I say. I'm not a fan of his band (not since Burn my Eyes, any way), but my opinion of him has gone up a notch.

He impressed me as a person when Machine Head played in Christchurch last year. He talked about the earthquakes in the city, and actually seemed to get how much it affected people. I suppose being from the Bay area he'd know a thing or two about quakes too.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:12 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I'm not particularly offended, so I suppose I should fuck off out of the metal scene then.

In all seriousness, I do think it's ridiculous and such a gesture shouldn't be made lightly. Just because I don't find it offensive doesn't mean others don't, so I wouldn't be running around doing it as a 'joke', primarily because I'm not simple in the head.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:18 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not at all, he's an idiot and a terrible drunk, pretty indefensible what he did but at the same time I don't like Flynn promoting himself on the back of this, he's always been a try hard and it just rubs me the wrong way.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:21 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Mustaine is even sticking up for Phil on Twitter right now, I don't know what to think.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Mustaine is even sticking up for Phil on Twitter right now, I don't know what to think.

All them right wing rednecks gotta stick together. It's only a matter of time til The Don becomes prez and they can all put on their sheets, set light to their crosses, warm up the tar and feathers and get together for a good ole fashioned lynching...

Oh, and I'm joking too. I've been drinking white tea. :roll:

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:31 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Darker the better when it comes to tea, personally.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:

Well, Mustaine does have some questionable political views, so it wouldn't surprise.

As for Robb Flynn, in fairness, I think he is probably trying to distance himself from the whole debacle considering he was there on stage with Anselmo and probably didn't want to be seen condoning such behaviour (which is understandable). It also seems like there might be some bad blood there as well considering that whole part about certain periods in band's histories.

Anselmo has always been a bit of a simpleton though, so it really isn't a surprise that he'd do something as provocative as this considering what he has said and done in the past. It certainly wasn't the ideal time considering the racial issue is very much in the American consciousness at the moment, with the events of the past year (Ferguson, etc.) as well as most recently the criticisms of the Academy Awards for their lack of diversity. Is it not also 'Black History Month' at the moment as well (or is it February)?

It is really sad I guess that someone Anselmo's age is acting like a stupid teenager (and defending his actions like a stupid teenager will). I think that it is probably is a bit of a storm in a tea cup for the most part, especially considering as I mentioned in my original post, we have some pretty dodgy tendencies within the heavy metal umbrella (NSBM, etc.) that don't ever really get much discussion, at least in a more mainstream coverage like this particular incident did (namely because of where and who it involved I imagine).

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

^ spot on.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:

I do. If Mustaine is on your side you must automatically be at least as bad as Hitler.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:45 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Not at all, he's an idiot and a terrible drunk, pretty indefensible what he did but at the same time I don't like Flynn promoting himself on the back of this, he's always been a try hard and it just rubs me the wrong way.

Agree, it does seem self serving.

Boycotting Anselmo is not going to transform you into the metal icon you always dreamed of being bro!

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:31 am

The cynicism here is astounding. I doubt Flynn was self serving; just calling him out. After all he performed at the same gig; he wasn't some random commentator adding his two cents. And good on him for doing so. Maybe in other parts of the world this isn't a problem, but there is a nasty right wing slant in the metal community State side and someone needed to call it out. Whether you're a MH fan or not is irrelevant.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 am

doomrider wrote:
i'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but here goes anyway.

Oh yeah.

It DESERVES its own thread.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:25 am

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Not at all, he's an idiot and a terrible drunk.

I know the guys from King Parrot and they said exactly this after they stayed at his "ranch" (pffft!!!) and recorded some tracks there.

They said that the amount of liquor Anselmo consumes on a regular basis, would kill most folks outright. They also said he is a fucken tool and has a "considerable" collection of Southern Civil War memorabilia.

And this is coming from the likes of King Parrot!!!!

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next