www.Terrorizer.com
http://forum.terrorizer.com/

Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)
http://forum.terrorizer.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8430
Page 8 of 9

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Stuffstuff wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Is this racist or just fucking stupid?
Image

There's plenty of much less "metal" bands on that site.



Encyclopedia Metallum are notoriously finickity when it comes to bands on their site.

This is just them being them, really.


Pretty much. They are far touchier on the subject of "metalcore" (or anything with the -core suffix), eg. no Converge, or "alternative/nu metal", eg. fine to have Faith No More, but no way we are having Deftones.

Author:  blacklorre [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

That's why I call them Encyclops! In the land of the blind theyre still king!

Author:  ajk70 [ Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Looks like he's releasing a new album with the illegals

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Stuffstuff wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Is this racist or just fucking stupid?
Image

There's plenty of much less "metal" bands on that site.



Encyclopedia Metallum are notoriously finickity when it comes to bands on their site.

This is just them being them, really.


Pretty much. They are far touchier on the subject of "metalcore" (or anything with the -core suffix), eg. no Converge, or "alternative/nu metal", eg. fine to have Faith No More, but no way we are having Deftones.


Funnily enough, I just discovered Def Leppard are on Metal Archives :lol:

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Chinese Whispers wrote:

Funnily enough, I just discovered Def Leppard are on Metal Archives :lol:


They couldn't leave Def Leppard out because of their early albums. 8-)

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Not saying I personally have a problem with it, but I do find it strange that Def Leppard snuck in, yet Slipknot is deemed 'not metal enough' and have far too many 'alternative moments', yet they are more than happy to claim Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Faith No More.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Yeh there is a clear bias at work, but that isn't surprising.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

The fact that people care about the content of metal achieves amazes me, it's like caring about the contents of kerrang.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

I wouldn't say it is a care (I'm not going to lose sleep over it), more I just find it interesting what the larger collective are willing to accept and their general attitudes to certain polarising bands.

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
The fact that people care about the content of metal achieves amazes me, it's like caring about the contents of kerrang.


It's still the biggest and most influential metal encyclopedia out there though. Metal Music Archives where I do reviews is nowhere near the same size, but tries to cover a wider range of things.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Vim Fuego wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
The fact that people care about the content of metal achieves amazes me, it's like caring about the contents of kerrang.


It's still the biggest and most influential metal encyclopedia out there though. Metal Music Archives where I do reviews is nowhere near the same size, but tries to cover a wider range of things.


Yes but metal archives is pretty much a laughing stock no? The admins are complete clowns.

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
The fact that people care about the content of metal achieves amazes me, it's like caring about the contents of kerrang.


It's still the biggest and most influential metal encyclopedia out there though. Metal Music Archives where I do reviews is nowhere near the same size, but tries to cover a wider range of things.


Yes but metal archives is pretty much a laughing stock no? The admins are complete clowns.


Yes, but it doesn't stop it being big and influential.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Vim Fuego wrote:


Yes, but it doesn't stop it being big and influential.


Influential to whom?

No disrespect to yourself Vim, I'm genuinely curious.

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:


Yes, but it doesn't stop it being big and influential.


Influential to whom?

No disrespect to yourself Vim, I'm genuinely curious.


Don't know if it is now, but I used to come across a few young guys who worshipped that site, and considered the message boards there to be the be all and end all of metal knowledge. Haven't posted there in many, many years, but I remember it being full of rednecks and elitist wannabes. At least if someone is being a cunt HERE you know that they actually know their metal and don't think Pantera/Suffocation/Les Legions Noire/Ulysses Siren are the pinnacle of metal achievement.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Vim Fuego wrote:
Pantera/Suffocation/Les Legions Noire/Ulysses Siren are the pinnacle of metal achievement.


They're not? :D

Sub-question: Do we have to hate Suffocation because a million less interesting copy clone bands sprouted up a good decade after Suffo made their mark?

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Agree.

I get the argument that they were a bad influence, but they have released enough good material over the years to be at least partially exonerated. Effigy and Pierced are essential death metal albums.

Their latest album was bloody disappointing though.

Author:  Solaris [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

The previous one was decent, though.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

It was their best since 1995 imo. Their only really good album since their reunion. That's why I found the last one so disappointing.

Terrible drum sound too.

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Pantera/Suffocation/Les Legions Noire/Ulysses Siren are the pinnacle of metal achievement.


They're not? :D

Sub-question: Do we have to hate Suffocation because a million less interesting copy clone bands sprouted up a good decade after Suffo made their mark?


No, I hate 'em because they're boring as fuck.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Phil Anselmo (racism in metal)

Stat_Rad wrote:
It was their best since 1995 imo. Their only really good album since their reunion. That's why I found the last one so disappointing.

Terrible drum sound too.


I haven't really followed them since their comeback. 'Human Waste', 'Effigy...', 'Pierced...' and 'Despise The Sun' are all I really need from them. I recall hearing 'Souls to Deny' when it first dropped and thinking it was pretty solid, but I never felt inclined to purchase for one reason or another. These days they has a Terrence Hobbs & Friends feel to it (Mullen doesn't seem to be as involved as he once was).

Page 8 of 9 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/