www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Album of the Month: 2016
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Album of the Month: 2016 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Album of the Month: 2016

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:41 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

What a weird month. So many bands that have at some point being among my favourites over the past couple decades putting things out.

AOTM was No.Fx for me. Couple of total duffer bounce along pop songs as standard, but continuing the generally darker mood from their last one and I love how his voice is sounding these days, all fried and love the lyrics. Good one. Wish they'd do an all/mostly-fast, no pissing about record, and get rid of the keyboards. They've had a few shit moments over the years but great band, still unbelievably on it.

Followed by Wormrot. Surprisingly a very polished sound, from the instant it starts it's clearly a new and very different drummer. Sounds like an entirely different band to be honest but I still like it, kind of how Book Burner came out and it was like "whoa, um, I like it a lot but qu'est-ce que c'est please?"...

Got the Meshuggah, finding I'm jaded to their recent records and have failed to get massively caught up in them from obZen onward. And so too here. I'd watch them live any day of the week but I'm not quite as enchanted as Duckstyle over there on this.

Neurosis is still a bit dull but much preferred it to the previous two. It's the croaky Americana vocal style they started bringing in around Eye Of Every Storm, there is something about it I can't run with, plus the well-discussed Albini hole in production terms... but I can't deny this record is decent quality. Didn't find it heavy or intense at all though and can't see myself taking to it with any great affection.

Hate to say it, I love and appreciate the bands' histories, the shows I've seen over the years, the discogs etc. etc., but for me, Meshuggah and Neurosis in particular are getting the distinct scent of old fart wafting off of the last few efforts, each.

The Opeth record was unsurprising but OK. Shame - amazing performances and playing, some outstanding guitar parts, decent enough material, beautifully lushly engineered, but just... argh. Frustrating politeness about the whole shebang spoiling it again. I find their new style is self indulgent which is fine, but I feel isolated from it like an exhibition.

Trap Them... man. Not bad but struggling to engage, like the Meshuggah. Again I felt I might be just being jaded, maybe numb to ferocity, by way of being a moody cunt and listening to 90% pure pulverisation recently...

But then I listened to Sleepwell Deconstructor, Seizures In Barren Praise and Darker Handcraft in a day and no - those ones still genuinely rattled my fucking head. This is weirdly tame again like the last one. There were some big problems in the riffing department on Blissfucker, which seems to have been shored up, but I dunno. It sounds frustratingly contained and although yer boy is an outstanding player, I do think there is a drummer compatibility issue. This guy controls it all real smooth like they're the Starship Enterprise, like.. he's too good. They had that amazing ex-Coliseum guy Chris Maggio, who propelled this rickety lot along with seam-busting tension, and same with the chap before. They're missing that.

Getting old now lads, what a moany bastard!

Danny Brown came out too but I didn't listen to it yet, I usually like Danny's records and liked everything I heard pre-release.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

FlockaJawaka wrote:
Followed by Wormrot. Surprisingly a very polished sound, from the instant it starts it's clearly a new and very different drummer. Sounds like an entirely different band to be honest but I still like it, kind of how Book Burner came out and it was like "whoa, um, I like it a lot but qu'est-ce que c'est please?"...

Neurosis is still a bit dull but much preferred it to the previous two. It's the croaky Americana vocal style they started bringing in around Eye Of Every Storm, there is something about it I can't run with, plus the well-discussed Albini hole in production terms... but I can't deny this record is decent quality. Didn't find it heavy or intense at all though and can't see myself taking to it with any great affection.

Totally agree about the Wormrot , although it is ferocious and well played , I miss the old school d-beat/crust/punk influence that seems to have vanished .
As for the Neurosis , yes it's a bit dull , there is absolutely nothing new , I can't really be bothered with it.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

WTF, October?!

1 = Image
1 = Image

2 = Image
2 = Image

3 = Image
3 = Image
3 = Image
(Wardruna - Runaljod - Ragnarok)

JAN
Megadeth - Dystopia
Chthe'ilist - Le Dernier Crépuscule
Abbath - Abbath
The King is Blind - Our Father

FEB:
Anthrax - For All Kings
Rotting Christ - Rituals
Fleshgod Apocalypse - King

MARCH
1. Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
2. Skuggsja - A Piece For Mind and Mirror
3. Metal Church - XI

APRIL
1. Rob Zombie - Electric Warlock
2. Ihsahn - Arktis
3. Sixx AM - Prayers For the Damned

MAY
1. Death Angel - The Evil Divide
2. Hatebreed - The Concrete Confessional

JUNE
1. Gojira - Magma
2. Nails - You will Never Be One Of Us

JULY
1. Revocation - Great Is Our Sin

AUGUST
1. Sodom - Decision Day

SEPT
1. Opeth - Sorceress
2. Devin Townsend - Transcendence
3. Brujeria - Pocho Aztlan
4. Epica - The Holographic Principle
5. Alcest - Kodama

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Anaal Nathrakh for me, by a mile. Possible AOTY. I thought the Testament album was dull and plodding, TBH.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:16 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Korn? Spiny, really?

I like the cover for darkthrone but is it still more of the same of the last few albums or a bit more grim i.e ravishing grimness style?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:41 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Tardigrada -Emotionale Ödnis
Damn good atmospheric black metal from Switzerland.

Not got the new Wędrujący Wiatr yet, but if it's as good as the last one it'll be one of the best albums of the year.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Matsui wrote:
Korn? Spiny, really?

Well, clearly it depends in whether you like them or not in the first place.
They've released some great albums over the years, and this is another one. I bought Korn III the other day, and all it did was highlight just how good the new one is.

Matsui wrote:
I like the cover for darkthrone but is it still more of the same of the last few albums or a bit more grim i.e ravishing grimness style?

It's not as good as The Underground Resistance, but it's still quality stuff.
Nocturno does all the vocals on this one, giving it a bit more consistency with tone.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Just to echo and add to Spiney's above post, October also brought us

Seriously...best single month for as long as I can recall.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:26 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Well, clearly it depends in whether you like them or not in the first place.
They've released some great albums over the years, and this is another one. I bought Korn III the other day, and all it did was highlight just how good the new one is.

Eh? III is the best thing they put out since the early 00s until the new one.

I probably won't buy the new Korn, but there is a reason why it is getting their best reviews in years.

DUCK: you like the new Candiria? It is better than I expected. There is some.crap on there, but overall it is their best since 2001.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:04 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

November! Deathspell Omega! Cultes de Ghoules! Antaeus! Panphage!

Basically those in some kind of order...

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Eh? III is the best thing they put out since the early 00s until the new one.

I avoided it when it came out because the couple of tracks I heard were rubbish.
Although it's not terrible, and I like the stripped back sound, there's not one song on there which really grabs me and I still don't like the songs I heard before. I've only listened to the whole thing twice though, so there's still time for it to grow on me.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The songs aren't as catchy because they were going back to the style of the first album which is more sludgy and mood based. The new album sounds closer to their late 90's and early 00's stuff.

The production is really good on the new Korn and their energy levels have returned to near prime levels.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:28 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

DUCK: you like the new Candiria? It is better than I expected. There is some.crap on there, but overall it is their best since 2001.

You know, I felt duped when I opened it up and saw that Schalk wasn't playing on the album. I don't know why I didn't know that and I wanted to dislike it as a result, but I agree. Some really good stuff to be found. They push it kinda far out sometimes, but I gotta say that it all flows really well. I really like the way they incorporated the more commercial elements into what they do well. It's something they showed flashes of on the last full length, but it's much better here.

As usual, the telling factor is if it sticks with me and I keep wanting to go back, then they're doing something right. It's sticking and I keep returning. Very pleased with it, but I DO think having Ken on drums would have elevated things. New guy is good and he plays everything spot on, but Schalk has such an overwhelming and unique presence. Difficult to replace that drive and it's an unfair ask, but I miss him all the same.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Malten Bones

Incredible :)

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:40 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

I can't listen to Korn anymore. Now the're just meh.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Sanguine Relic just released a new mini album as well, what a month!

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:46 am

I've changed my mind about the Meshuggah record but sticking with initial reactions to the rest. The Meshuggah record is tense and dense and I'm not keen on some of it but overall I got into it much more on further listens.

And now I'll have to check the Candiria too, I agree with everything Duckstyle said. Kenneth Schalk basically was the Candiria sound.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Sanguine Relic just released a new mini album as well, what a month!

And it's fantastic!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:14 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Rudra - Enemy of Duality

Also enjoyed The Wounded, Slegest, Djevel & Ironwood.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next