www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists to 1
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists to 1 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists
Who was their axeman after he died?

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I guess its easy to say Journey & Jefferson (Starship) but they had more hits in their later reincarnations.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:36 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

blacklorre wrote:
I guess its easy to say Journey & Jefferson (Starship) but they had more hits in their later reincarnations.

Haha nice edit ;)

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:41 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

SFSGSW is 3/5, RIP is their only 5/5. I'd have said they made the jump from 1/5 to 5/5 between KIMBABIG and Peace Sells..., if is wasn't for I Ain't Superstitious, which is just fucking awful.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Four pages and no one has mentioned Cold Lake? Seriously...

Into the Pandemonium was a behemoth, genre redefining moment of grandeur well worthy of 5 fists (and did indeed achieve 5 Ks in Kerrap IIRC) and Cold Lake was indeed the shite smeared butter dish of pish that made anyone with a Celtic Frost tattoo want to kill themselves.

And 0 Ks in Kerrap I think (not sure about that).

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:04 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I don't think there are any; as has been said, bands tend to sort of peter out quality-wise rather than very suddenly plummet over a cliff.

Maybe 'Into The Pandemonium' being followed up with 'Cold Lake'. Maybe.

edit: Mali has gotten there already, curses.

Going from 1 to 5 is even rarer, I'd have thought.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:04 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I'll second Saturnz Returns that someone else put down here. A very good example of 5 fists to 1 fist if generous. To go from so good to so crap in such a short space of time. Wow.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Paris Chrome wrote:
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Roots is just absolute nu-metal shite. Max lost it completely and the whole album sounds like Korn, there's about 2 half decent songs there and the tribal music bits are by far the best thing on it.

I don't dislike Roots at all and yet I HATE nu metal with a passion. Yes the guitars are downtuned and all and there's quite a bit of jumpity bumpity groove....but those drums!!! And those vocals!! Dripping with venom.

It's no 5 fister, but a 1 fister?? Nope...not even close.

I'm with you. People are all fucked over "Roots" because they jumped on a trend, but they made it their own. There's some powerful shit on that record and some damn fine songs. Also, like it or not, Max found a new level of vocal ferocity during the recording. Ross really pushed those guys.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:50 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Duckstyle wrote:
Paris Chrome wrote:
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Roots is just absolute nu-metal shite. Max lost it completely and the whole album sounds like Korn, there's about 2 half decent songs there and the tribal music bits are by far the best thing on it.

I don't dislike Roots at all and yet I HATE nu metal with a passion. Yes the guitars are downtuned and all and there's quite a bit of jumpity bumpity groove....but those drums!!! And those vocals!! Dripping with venom.

It's no 5 fister, but a 1 fister?? Nope...not even close.

I'm with you. People are all fucked over "Roots" because they jumped on a trend, but they made it their own. There's some powerful shit on that record and some damn fine songs. Also, like it or not, Max found a new level of vocal ferocity during the recording. Ross really pushed those guys.

But Roots is just really boring. Powerful, yes. Original, yes. Making the trend their own, yes. Interesting, no.

Thought of a band for this last night: Nocturnus.

The Key 5/5
Thresholds 1/5 if it's lucky.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:10 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Who was their axeman after he died?

It was actually a woman. Katina Culture from Resistant Culture, from the same band as vocalist Anthony Rezhawk.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:27 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Duckstyle wrote:

Hmm, can't agree. Max's vocals on Roots are pretty poor, they just sound like directionless rage more than the powerful way he sings on Chaos AD. The Ross Robinson production is dire too, the whole album sounds like mud. Very claustrophobic feel to the record which does not make for a good listen.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:34 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I think the closest Sepultura got to a jump between 1/5 and 5/5 would be between Morbid Visions (1/5) and Schizophrenia (4/5) TBH.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:
I think the closest Sepultura got to a jump between 1/5 and 5/5 would be between Morbid Visions (1/5) and Schizophrenia (4/5) TBH.

Pffff.....Morbid Visions rules supreme. Sure, it's sloppy and doesn't offer a lot of variation but I love the album's attitude and evil atmosphere. Then again I also dig stuff such as Hellhammer and Vulcano's Bloody Vengeance so the early extreme primitive Sepultura stuff excites me rather well.

I do prefer Bestial Devastation over Morbid Visions though.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:29 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Colin040 wrote:
the album's attitude and evil atmosphere...

Ah yes, atmosphere. THE word to use when trying to describe something that is total shit (such as Morbid Visions) in positive terms. No surprise that so much black metal gets described as "atmospheric" or as having X type of atmosphere.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:13 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:
Colin040 wrote:
the album's attitude and evil atmosphere...

Ah yes, atmosphere. THE word to use when trying to describe something that is total shit (such as Morbid Visions) in positive terms. No surprise that so much black metal gets described as "atmospheric" or as having X type of atmosphere.

:lol: Well it also has riffs. It's just the riffs on the following two Sepultura albums would be better.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You are being both very generous with "Surgical Steel" & very harsh with "Swansong" in my opinion. I would suggest that there was a much bigger quality jump between "Reek Of Putrefaction" & "Symphonies Of Sickness".

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Colin040 wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Pffff.....Morbid Visions rules supreme. Sure, it's sloppy and doesn't offer a lot of variation but I love the album's attitude and evil atmosphere. Then again I also dig stuff such as Hellhammer and Vulcano's Bloody Vengeance so the early extreme primitive Sepultura stuff excites me rather well.

I do prefer Bestial Devastation over Morbid Visions though.

That says it all, to be fair: Bestial Devastation is an inarguable 0/5 piece of shit, so anyone rating it has nothing to say. Ever. Plus, Hellhammer were utterly unlistenable.

opaline wrote:
You are being both very generous with "Surgical Steel" & very harsh with "Swansong" in my opinion.

Not far off. Surgical Steel is a 5/5 album. It took a while to come to that conclusion, but it stands. Amazing album. Swansong is a 3/5 album. Not a popular rating, I'm sure but it stands. Listen to it on its own without comparing it to previous Carcass releases and it's solid as fuck. Decent metal album in its own right.

opaline wrote:
I would suggest that there was a much bigger quality jump between "Reek Of Putrefaction" & "Symphonies Of Sickness".

Agreed. I'd give ROP 2/5 and SOS 5/5.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:50 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Vim Fuego wrote:

But Roots is just really boring. Powerful, yes. Original, yes. Making the trend their own, yes. Interesting, no.

But it's still far from being a 1 fist album.

Alice Cooper:

From The Inside 5 fists

Flush The Fashion 3 fists

Special Forces 1 fist

Zipper Catches Skin 0 fists

Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:12 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Beherit:

Drawing Down The Moon 5 fists

H418ov21.C 0 fists

Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Nailbomb. Yes, I know the second one is a live album, but it's bloody awful.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next