www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem
Stat_Rad wrote:
Metal's recent shift to the left politically is an interesting topic that hasn't been explored much, at least not outside of SJW style criticisms. Identity politics has definitely played a role, but that's not enough to explain the shift.

Perhaps it was the circles I traveled in that have obscured my viewpoint, but I definitely recall metal being more right wing in the 90's and early 00's than it is now. A lot more. And by right wing I don't just mean fascist or conservative. It was a more hostile scene back in those days, especially in the 'underground'. I don't ever recall hearing much support for feminism, gay politics, mass immigration, the expansion of the welfare state etc. It was quite the opposite in fact. The ones that did voice their support of these movements openly were in the minority, and they really stood out. Now they are a dime a dozen yet they somehow feel they are being rebellious taking those political stands. It's just bizarre. It's like those fools who gorge themselves on junk culture and then later rationalise their choices as being anti-elitist and somehow 'brave' even though the masses won the culture wars decades ago.

Anyway, the old stereotype of metalheads being right wing is quickly becoming anachronistic, just like the old stereotype of them being working class. I'm not going to assume that there is a connection there, but I'm sure many would.

A lot of the fans were right wing, but the bands weren't always. Thinking of the late 80s-early 90s thrash mostly, because that's what I was listening to back then, there were a lot of stuff about the environment (Scars-Flotsam & Jetsam, Nuclear Assault's Handle With Care), the evils of corporations (...And Justice For All, For Whose Advantage?-Xentrix), nuclear war (take your pick!) and other issues dear to the left.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:27 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Stat_Rad wrote:
just like the old stereotype of them being working class. I'm not going to assume that there is a connection there, but I'm sure many would.

I would myself.

"underground" metal has become absolutely steeped in middle-class type worries and woes - probably since the mid-90s (around the same time this really took over education, culture in general, etc.) The average contemporary metal fan would be absolutely horrified by behaviour and norms in the 80s and early 90s scenes, despite fetishizing the music from back then.

Although this shift has obviously led to the deterioration in music, that's not so much of an issue for me. The culture is up for grabs for anyone who can claim it - so fair enough - they've taken over and good luck to them. The issues I have are with their pro censorship stance and their push for conformity. These 2 aspects of the SJW-isation of metal (and culture in general) are absolutely unacceptable. They can argue idiotic viewpoints like how metal is actually really gay, like Tez did some time back, and other such nonsense - but they cannot be allowed censor bands who do not agree nor prevent other opinions from being expressed.

I think it's too much to expect the level of honestly required from SJW types to stop their censorious and conformist tendencies. As a whole they are way too invested in it all for that. But I'm pessimistic as to how it can be stopped. Sure, if we wait long enough, the trend should die off and there's a reactionary backlash brewing too. For now though, the culture is kind of fucked basically. Aside from sitting it out, we're just going to deal it individually.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I must admit I really didn't happen upon this when I was frequenting gigs and more involved generally within the metal scene. Politics or real in-depth social issues never really came up, but then again this is going back a decade so maybe the scene hadn't been 'infiltrated' yet.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:20 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

BM band's drummer says something black metal, cue furious backpeddling by band only when their money stream is under threat:

https://www.facebook.com/misanthropicexistenceuk/

To be fair, the drummer was a absolute twat for posting that the sexual assault victim at bloodstock deserved it, but the self pitying response by the band them selves really seals the deal.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:39 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

HappygoLucky wrote:
BM band's drummer says something black metal, cue furious backpeddling by band only when their money stream is under threat:

https://www.facebook.com/misanthropicexistenceuk/

To be fair, the drummer was a absolute twat for posting that the sexual assault victim at bloodstock deserved it, but the self pitying response by the band them selves really seals the deal.

There's an element of truth to this, it's the attention seeking females who are most likely to "withdraw" consent if they don't get what they want.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

The SJW has no place in metal, specially extreme metal, it's pathetic, you can't have freedom of speech on your own terms. It's a generations of folk who were never told 'no' when they'd were children.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:40 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Cuchulainn wrote:
OK. Let me get this straight. 'Metalheads' are sabotaging and attempting to subjugate the metal scene because they're a bunch of fucking pussies?

Nailed it mate. Show are getting closed down, bands are getting grief and abuse because someone else has decided what this band stands for.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
OK. Let me get this straight. 'Metalheads' are sabotaging and attempting to subjugate the metal scene because they're a bunch of fucking pussies?

Nailed it mate. Show are getting closed down, bands are getting grief and abuse because someone else has decided what this band stands for.

The only heavier sounding band they approve of are Rage Against The Machine :lol:

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:08 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

This is nothing new. Type O had tons of shows shut down in Europe in 91 due to lefty protests against Petes lyrics from the Carnivore days. Of course the band brilliantly parodied this on the Origin of the Feces "live" album.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

ChrisLiebing wrote:
This is nothing new. Type O had tons of shows shut down in Europe in 91 due to lefty protests against Petes lyrics from the Carnivore days. Of course the band brilliantly parodied this on the Origin of the Feces "live" album.

Carnivore, we need more bands like that these days.b

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

That would require testacles and few "men" these days in the scene have those.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Is that a type of off-roader?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

ChrisLiebing wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

Are they tentacles growing out of your nutsack?

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

ChrisLiebing wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

Bring back ManOwaR!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:08 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I wonder when there will be a Kathoey metal band?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

blacklorre wrote:
I wonder when there will be a Kathoey metal band?

Cretin/ (the reformed) Repulsion?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

ChrisLiebing wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

Thankfully parts of black metal still don't give a fuck.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

This might collectively be the worst pile off ill-conceived, badly judged bollocks I've ever read on any metal site ever. It's fucking embarrassing.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

FlockaJawaka wrote:
This might collectively be the worst pile off ill-conceived, badly judged bollocks I've ever read on any metal site ever. It's fucking embarrassing.

The article? Or our replies?

}:D

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next