www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Decibel: the underground metal scene's SJW problem
Matsui wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

Metal is not a safe space

Were you able to type that with a straight face?

Seriously, metal is damn safe. It was over twenty years ago that the crazy norwegians stabbed fags and burnt down churches and Bodycount got forced to drop Cop

That has nothing to do with the point I'm making. It isn't stabbings or church burnings or social provocation, it is about tolerance and permissiveness. We don't want the SJW mentality that is rampant and stifling in the 'indie' scenes transferred to metal.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:05 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Russians got some good underground musicians in every region

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
Matsui wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

Metal is not a safe space

Were you able to type that with a straight face?

Seriously, metal is damn safe. It was over twenty years ago that the crazy norwegians stabbed fags and burnt down churches and Bodycount got forced to drop Cop

That has nothing to do with the point I'm making. It isn't stabbings or church burnings or social provocation, it is about tolerance and permissiveness. We don't want the SJW mentality that is rampant and stifling in the 'indie' scenes transferred to metal.

My mistake. I took you quite literally when you said "safe"

Still, i enjoyed my rant, however misguided

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I probably should have been more clear, but I was using the term 'safe space' in a semi mocking way because it refers to what's happening on some university campuses in America. i.e a place where students who are 'offended' or 'disturbed' by ideas they are presented with in lectures etc to go to avoid ill feelings etc. It's essentially like a time out room for children.

I don't disagree with your general point about contemporary metal--it is boring and safe, especially musically--but it's important to keep dialogue open and not reduce possibilities of discussion purely on petty political grounds.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Metal where I live is mostly three-word-band shirts with B today. Black Stone Cherry, Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides, Burn The Horizon etc. I'm the only one with Babymetal so I am trve cvlt! (they are connected to Demoniac)

Last edited by blacklorre on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
I probably should have been more clear, but I was using the term 'safe space' in a semi mocking way because it refers to what's happening on some university campuses in America. i.e a place where students who are 'offended' or 'disturbed' by ideas they are presented with in lectures etc to go to avoid ill feelings etc. It's essentially like a time out room for children.

I don't disagree with your general point about contemporary metal--it is boring and safe, especially musically--but it's important to keep dialogue open and not reduce possibilities of discussion purely on petty political grounds.

Honestly, I cant keep up with all developments and at first i thought the complaints about US campuses were driven by anti-pc brigade. But what little i have seen is hugely offensive. A fundamental shift has occurred from students going to learn, to them acting like prima donnas expecting campus to be their playground

As for metal, maybe it was my era, that or growing up in a christian environment, but the edge was back in the eighties. Metal was extreme, it challenged the mainstream, much in the way hip hop did. Then... not quite sure what happened but it all became co opted and safe. Fuck, even Whitehouse went from being boycotted at gigs to being darlings of Wire magazine. Maybe the mainstream moved to the edges, I don't know.

I know it is wilful ignorance on my behalf, but ultimately ignorance is bliss. I listen to what i listen to, like what i like and don't care about anything else.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

blacklorre wrote:
Metal where I live is mostly three-word-band shirts with B today. Black Stone Cherry, Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides, Burn The Horizon etc. I'm the only one with Babymetal so I am trve cvlt! (they are connected to Demoniac)

Tenuous Demoniac link: The drummer/death metal vocalist on this song was the original drummer for Demoniac when they were black metal before going all power metal.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

And theres The Skull:

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Matsui wrote:
As for metal, maybe it was my era, that or growing up in a christian environment, but the edge was back in the eighties. Metal was extreme, it challenged the mainstream, much in the way hip hop did. Then... not quite sure what happened but it all became co opted and safe. Fuck, even Whitehouse went from being boycotted at gigs to being darlings of Wire magazine. Maybe the mainstream moved to the edges, I don't know.

The metal underground has failed to redefine itself. Most of the bands are still playing in genres that were created decades ago and there has been very little development over the last 10-12 years. Even the stuff that impresses a lot of the more seasoned listeners on here, like the new Nails, for example, sounds merely above average to me. I can't hear anything special going on in their sound.

There is a limit to how extreme bands can get though, and unfortunately those boundaries have already been pushed.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:26 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

As always, the internet ruins fucking EVERYHING.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Its never enough http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/7/ ... f-all-time and Decibel workers knew it

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tragic Idol wrote:
Its never enough http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/7/ ... f-all-time and Decibel workers knew it

Icon > Oath, Blackwater Park, Sirens
Icon <> RTL

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

blacklorre wrote:
Icon <> RTL

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

I can't even understand those words, what the fuck is he typing?

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

HappygoLucky wrote:
I can't even understand those words, what the fuck is he typing?

sounds like you've got semantic and letter agnosia, mate :)

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:19 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Nah, I mean no way is Icon on the same level as RLT!

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re:
HappygoLucky wrote:
Nah, I mean no way is Icon on the same level as RLT!

haha, I know :)

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:10 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Ride Lightning The a far superior album is, of course.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yes! And Drac Times is better than Black Album

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Metal's recent shift to the left politically is an interesting topic that hasn't been explored much, at least not outside of SJW style criticisms. Identity politics has definitely played a role, but that's not enough to explain the shift.

Perhaps it was the circles I traveled in that have obscured my viewpoint, but I definitely recall metal being more right wing in the 90's and early 00's than it is now. A lot more. And by right wing I don't just mean fascist or conservative. It was a more hostile scene back in those days, especially in the 'underground'. I don't ever recall hearing much support for feminism, gay politics, mass immigration, the expansion of the welfare state etc. It was quite the opposite in fact. The ones that did voice their support of these movements openly were in the minority, and they really stood out. Now they are a dime a dozen yet they somehow feel they are being rebellious taking those political stands. It's just bizarre. It's like those fools who gorge themselves on junk culture and then later rationalise their choices as being anti-elitist and somehow 'brave' even though the masses won the culture wars decades ago.

Anyway, the old stereotype of metalheads being right wing is quickly becoming anachronistic, just like the old stereotype of them being working class. I'm not going to assume that there is a connection there, but I'm sure many would.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next