www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album.....
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album..... 

Do Morbid Angel have a strong comeback album in them?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
No 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 29

Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album..... 
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Post Re: Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album.....
Solaris vs Conor McGregor

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm
NoVice
NoVice

As long as Tucker keeps Trey on the right track we can expect a solid display of death metal.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:03 pm

My expectations for this were already low, but with the reveal of the new members... well, all i can say is: i think it's going to take a miracle for this release to be anymore than something put out to give them an excuse to tour.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Formulas is 20 years old next year - they should do an anniversary tour of that playing it in its entirety.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I wouldn't be surprised there.
The thing is, it's really irrelevant who's in the band these days as long as Trey's there. I said from the beginning Vincent returning was a bad idea. They toured for about 5 years and then brought out a fucking horrendous album. I can't see their new one being remotely like that thing, but I don't think they have a truly great record in them anymore. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:54 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Without Sandoval I can't see them doing anything other than average. He was too integral to the sound and band. Let's see.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:19 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

In this situation, you can only hope for the best and keep your expectations moderate to low. It may be a tad unfair to the band, but given their track record since the late 90s it's perfectly reasonable. We have witnessed a slow but continual decline in the quality of their output since FFTTF. It's going to be difficult to reverse that trend because it seems deep-rooted (i.e there have been no peaks and troughs), and the fact that their output has been relatively scarce since 2000 makes matters worse. It merely strengthens the impression that Trey is out of ideas.

Many metal bands that peaked in the late 80's and/or early 90's did not necessarily make the transition into the new millennium well, and this is especially true of the old-school death metal bands. Most of them got off to a shaky start and released the occasional good album (e.g Deicide Stench of Redemption), but with the exception of Gorguts, the renewed interest in the genre has generally been directed towards newer bands like Portal and Ulcerate or its orchestral variant. e.g Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse.

There have been many comeback stories in metal over the last decade or so (e.g Testament, Overkill etc), but none of those bands were on life support. Testament released one dud (Demonic) then followed it up with a great album two years later (The Gathering), then disappeared for a while and made an impressive return. Overkill released a few average albums that were largely hurt by poor production. That problem was rectified when they signed with Nuclear Blast and then the songwriting improved too, so it was a win-win.

I honestly can't think of an active band that came back in a strong way after being in the bog for well over a decade like Morbid Angel. There have been some very successful comebacks via reformations after a considerable amount of time had passed (e.g Carcass, Celtic Frost etc), but not from active bands in flatline territory. That is far more rare.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:05 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

What does give me some hope is that each album since Formulas has had some good stuff on it, the DM tracks on iliud were pretty good.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

New song played live:

Definitely reminds me of the Tucker era somewhat.

Wed May 24, 2017 10:10 am

Hard to tell with the sound quality, just a mix of kick drum and buzzy distortion.

I think they have it in them to make a solid album, with maybe a few real proper standout tracks.

The major factor is the loss of Sandoval IMO, as Robit said he was integral to their sound so that's an element that will be noticeably missing. Which is no reflection on the likes of Yeung or Fuller, technically they are of the highest standard, but listening to the death metal tracks on Iliud or seeing them live, it definitely changed the nature of the band. Not in the sense you could find fault in the playing, but you know straight away it isn't Pete, in a way that is as noticeable as Slayer without Lombardo, or Sabbath without Bill Ward.

Overall, I would expect something of at least the quality of Heretic, which has really grown on me, or maybe stronger, depending on the creative environment, it might light a fire under Trey's arse to be working with Tucker, and playing with new musicians.

Will they make another Blessed, or even FFTTF? Probably not. But as long as they don't make another Iliud and they sound like Morbid Angel, happy days.

Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'd be more than happy with another 'gateways'

Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

That is another album that has really grown in my estimation.

Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The One True Wretch wrote:
That is another album that has really grown in my estimation.

It's a great death metal record, easy 4 fists.

Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Bostaph does a very good job in Slayer, and he drummed on the last Slayer album worth buying, so I wouldn't put him in the same league as Sandoval's replacements. He doesn't have as much swing as Lombardo though. Having said that, Lombardo has done most of his best drumming outside of Slayer

Not sure why Sandoval is so integral to M.A's sound, but he is. Other drummers are more technical than him, but he definitely brings personality to the band and has great instincts.

Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Stat_Rad wrote:
Bostaph does a very good job in Slayer, and he drummed on the last Slayer album worth buying, so I wouldn't put him in the same league as Sandoval's replacements. He doesn't have as much swing as Lombardo though. Having said that, Lombardo has done most of his best drumming outside of Slayer

Not sure why Sandoval is so integral to M.A's sound, but he is. Other drummers are more technical than him, but he definitely brings personality to the band and has great instincts.

I'd go as far as to say swing as well, I like the term instincts though, for me that's what separates a good drummer from a truly great one.

Thu May 25, 2017 4:53 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The One True Wretch wrote:
Hard to tell with the sound quality, just a mix of kick drum and buzzy distortion.

One thing that seems apparent is that the drumming sounds like that a-rhythmic, whirring style that is so typical nowadays. :(

Sandoval had his own sound - always distinctive and rhythmic - he left space in his grooves as did the whole band. He was essential to that lurching, heaving sound they did - especially later on. It's really hard to see what one of these athlete type drummers will add to what they do.

Thu May 25, 2017 8:02 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I loved Sandoval as much as anyone, but he certainly isn't irreplaceable. George Kollias, for example makes him look like an invalid.

Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kollias is the fetishist's choice.

Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Derek Roddy, then. Even fucking David Gray from Akercocke. They're far superior to Sandoval in many ways. I do understand the 'vibe' he brought to the band, though...

Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
Derek Roddy, then. Even fucking David Gray from Akercocke. They're far superior to Sandoval in many ways. I do understand the 'vibe' he brought to the band, though...

That 'vibe' is what separates him in M.A from those other players you mentioned.

Sandoval just knows when to change it up. He knows when to ride the snare, when to use the toms, when to use double bass etc. He has an impeccable sense of timing, and he understands above all that what he is doing is contributing to actual music.

Thu May 25, 2017 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next