www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album.....
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album..... 

Do Morbid Angel have a strong comeback album in them?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
No 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 29

Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album..... 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Morbid Angel are 'scheduling' their new album.....
It is positive, but it's also important to remember that Trey was mostly to blame for their last album and he has accepted responsibility for it.

I'm surprised that the reunion with Vincent lasted as long as it did, especially given that he left the band on bad terms in the mid 90's.

I like Tucker, but he isn't the kind of guy to question Trey's creative decisions.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Stat_Rad wrote:
It is positive, but it's also important to remember that Trey was mostly to blame for their last album and he has accepted responsibility for it.

How so? I thought Vincent was the one who did all that Marilyn Manson shit on Ilud.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Trey co-wrote most of the songs and approved the musical direction at the time. Blaming it on Vincent is just scapegoating.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:34 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Trey may have approved it, but considering It hadn't been the direction the band were taking until Vincent returned and Vincent's prior tenure in Genitorturers, it does seem fair to blame Vincent for it. I mean there's no way this new one will contain those shitty industrial elements.

*Just checking wikipedia now and he has sole songwriting credit for "Radicult" - one of the worst examples of what was wrong with that album. Trey doesn't seem to have written anything on his own.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:14 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ok, but Vincent was only one component. He had nothing to do with Heretic, which was an average Morbid Angel album at best, or the uneven Gateways To Annihilation.

The problems in the Morbid Angel camp are much deeper than Vincent.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Agreed. I meant the sound on Ilud was more to do with Vincent, the failed new direction it had. Heretic and Gateways are both firmly inessential.

There's a vague chance this new one could be good - the impetus to do something that might be well-received after the disaster of Ilud, Tucker's involvement, Vincent's lack of involvement. Who knows?

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:36 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I hoping that Trey will pull his finger out. The other advantage they have is that Tucker has become a more confident and experienced songwriter over the last decade, so perhaps he can also bring something of value to the table.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:39 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

My preferred Morbid Angel albums are quite all over the place (being A, F and G) I can imagine this album will be a return on the right path at least. The question to me is just: will it have enough impact on its own good or will it be received as a ''not great but better than the shitty (say, latest two) albums at least'' category? I hope the former, but we'll see.

I'm glad Tucker is back though. From what I remember of that supergroup he still sounds on fire. David hasn't sounded convincing since Covenant.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:40 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The problem that Morbid Angel have now I believe is the one I mentioned earlier: they aren't self consciously 'retro' enough to appeal to da kids, and they aren't really complex or forward thinking enough to compete with the likes of Ulcerate and Gorguts.

At this point their reputation is based on their past output when they were a brilliant, original and innovative metal band many moons ago, but their time to be scene leaders has long since passed, and I don't get the impression that Trey just wants to be another face in the crowd.

GTA and Heretic both strike me as only partially successful attempts to write less straight ahead material, especially in retrospect. Morbid Angel's primary strength was their ability to write brutal songs that were direct and memorable and interesting at the same time. GTA had a few highlights, but Heretic sounded like a great band on life support.

It really blew me away that Trey was hyping Heretic as some great quasi-experimental album at the time, like it was some next level death metal. It made me realise just how delusional he really is and was definitely an early warning sign.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 am

Stat_Rad wrote:
The problem that Morbid Angel have now I believe is the one I mentioned earlier: they aren't self consciously 'retro' enough to appeal to da kids, and they aren't really complex or forward thinking enough to compete with the likes of Ulcerate and Gorguts.

At this point their reputation is based on their past output when they were a brilliant, original and innovative metal band many moons ago, but their time to be scene leaders has long since passed, and I don't get the impression that Trey just wants to be another face in the crowd..

Good points here. Even though I don't remember all the MA albums too well, the band in the seemed to be quite ahead of their time and quite forward thinking even. Covenant despite coming out in 1993 might be the most ''modern'' OSDM album I can think of from that period. Later I suppose they sort of ''went on'' with the times in the late 90's yet I find FFF to be a totally recognizable and still has that trademark style of Trey despite sounding quite new.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:45 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yes, FFTTF was their last really good album. It's not generally as well regarded as it is around here though. Listening to some of the buggers on here you would be fooled into thinking it's a classic death metal album. At its best it's amazing, but there are definitely a few disjointed moments.

It truly was the last time they sounded vital though, aside from 2-3 songs on GTA.

Morbid Angel did sound quite 'progressive' until the mid to late 90's, then they just couldn't really compete with bands like Gorguts, Cryptopsy and Nile who were releasing far more musically advanced albums.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:57 am

I do think FFF sounds way more ambitious than GtA but I find the latter to be more consistent. I actually prefer the production on the latter too even though I'm aware not everyone's a fan of it. ''Covenant of Death'' and ''Invocation of the Continual One'' are epics though.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

If you like Radicult, you're a fucking cunt.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:39 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

FFTTF is an extremely overrated album. Last decent one was Domination IMO but these days, I'm more likely to listen to Abominations Of Desolation as the raw sound is just excellent.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:27 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

I'm not too optimistic about tuckers return helping steer Morbid Angel in a better direction. I quite like Formulas and Gateways but Heretic is just meh,a weak production,mostly going through the motions songwriting and weighed down by too many interludes,kind of like latter day Manowar(shudder)and what i've heard from tuckers Warfather makes Heretic sound interesting.

Ultimately though any musing about the bands current creative potency(or lack thereof)matters little.All they have to do is release something that isn't Ilud for it too be labeled a return to form. No matter how much it rehashes the past,no matter how creatively stagnant it is,as long as it has no techno that will be enough(for some).Kind of like The Force Awakens vis-a-vis the prequels.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:57 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Possibly the sizeable amount of touring they did for "Covenant" will have sparked something. Yes, those dire moments on "Ilud..." need never be spoken of, but there are a few corkers on that album. I'd like think they can still weave something memorable together.

Is Destructhor involved? I thought he did well fitting in.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:18 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^The only confirmed members of Morbid Angel are Trey and Steve Tucker, that's it. They are going to have to put a new lineup together.

It's hilariously ironic that when Tucker returned fans were happy, because once upon a time the consensus was that the band just weren't the same without Vincent and that Tucker was just a faceless substitute. Tucker did lift his game though, and his vocals were really quite good on GTA and Heretic, certainly better than Vincent's were on Illud. His stage presence improved too, but obviously he has nothing on prime Vincent who had more of a rock star vibe about him.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the next Morbid Angel album. Vandlass has a point that as long as it isn't complete shit or anything like Illud it will be relatively well received, but I don't believe fans will settle for a 3 fist album. Nobody in their right mind is expecting a classic, but to remain relevant it will have to be a 4 at the very least.

Did Illud grow on anyone here? It kind of grew on me. I don't hate it, but I can't say I feel the need to listen to it either. I got a free copy of it back in 2011 and have kept it for collector's sake.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^The only confirmed members of Morbid Angel are Trey and Steve Tucker, that's it. They are going to have to put a new lineup together.

It's hilariously ironic that when Tucker returned fans were happy, because once upon a time the consensus was that the band just weren't the same without Vincent and that Tucker was just a faceless substitute. Tucker did lift his game though, and his vocals were really quite good on GTA and Heretic, certainly better than Vincent's were on Illud. His stage presence improved too, but obviously he has nothing on prime Vincent who had more of a rock star vibe about him.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the next Morbid Angel album. Vandlass has a point that as long as it isn't complete shit or anything like Illud it will be relatively well received, but I don't believe fans will settle for a 3 fist album. Nobody in their right mind is expecting a classic, but to remain relevant it will have to be a 4 at the very least.

Did Illud grow on anyone here? It kind of grew on me. I don't hate it, but I can't say I feel the need to listen to it either. I got a free copy of it back in 2011 and have kept it for collector's sake.

Actually it went the other way for me. At first i found the dated techno,tough guy lyrics and tepid death metal tracks hilarious but over time the schadenfreude at the bands folly has faded and has been replaced with,well,anger i suppose.

All the fanfare around Vincents return and all the time they had to conceive this record and THIS is all we get? Why bother to release something like this?,or at least why release it under the Morbid Angel banner? How could they think this was a good idea,both at the conceptual level and while they were recording it?

Sorry if i seem like i'm going off on one there but i've become more and more annoyed about the whole thing as time has passed.So...the opposite to you haha :)

Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

My opinion on Ilud still hasn't changed. It's a decent album with some moments of brilliance, but also an awful lot of horrible nonsense. Would have made a better EP.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
I reckon they should retire. Illud was average - VERY average - Death Metal at best (Radikult and that Destructos vs The Earth don't count as they never existed) and I never rated anythng between F-H.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next