www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Neurosis Fires Within Fires (official thread)...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Neurosis Fires Within Fires (official thread)... 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Neurosis Fires Within Fires (official thread)...

Track listing:

01. Bending Light
02. A Shadow Memory
03. Fire Is The End Lesson
04. Broken Ground
05. Reach

^^Sounds quite promising to me. It is like a cross between Eye, Rising and The Sun That Never Sets.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:32 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Neurosis Fires Within Fires (official thread)...
That does sound promising, as you say. I like the general feel and aesthetic.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I know it's only three minutes of snippets but nothing there interested me in the slightest. I'll listen to the album when it's out but I'm not expecting much. As usual, Albini's flat 'production' job letting them down, too.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:24 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Solaris wrote:
I know it's only three minutes of snippets but nothing there interested me in the slightest. I'll listen to the album when it's out but I'm not expecting much.

Agree. Where's the power? It's all a bit soft sounding.

...but we'll see. They're an album band and I'm sure I'll enjoy the whole thing when I hear it as one.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Maybe, but (albumwise) they haven't released anything I'd recommend post-TSIB, despite me buying everything bar the last one. I've run out of cautious optimism, I suppose.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:42 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Times Of Grace was a good change for them and a really good album - although it obviously marked the end of the excellence and their peak with the streak of the 3 prior to it.

A Sun That Never Sets, The Eye of Every Storm and Given to the Rising were all good and I enjoyed each of them when they came out - even if I don;t go back to them that often. It was the last 2 when they really started to run into one another.

Given was really when they should've hung it up - not just because of the samieness of the album - but also because that was when they had stopped touring and were clearly no longer a proper band.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Apart from the first two (which are so different in style that I just don't count them), A Sun That Never Sets is my least favourite of theirs by a mile. I find it unlistenable, I can't understand the adulation it gets.

Times Of Grace was a huge step down and colossal disappointment for me at the time. Even seeing them headline when touring it was lacking compared to their support slot for Entombed a year or two previously. The beginning of their relationship with Albini is largely to blame but stripping back their style so much took a lot of impact from thei sound, too. It's still a better album than any of the subsequent ones but I couldn't give it any more than 3/5.

The Eye Of Every Storm is alright, a bit of relief from their heavier leanings, I suppose. Not much replay value in it, though - there's too much of that folky sound from their solo albums in it for my taste.

The last couple were closer to their old sound on the surface, but there's an undeniable lack of substance beneath it all. I just can't be bothered with them.

I've mentioned it before but Sovereign and the Jarboe collaboration are the only post-TSIB Neurosis releases I go back to.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Solaris wrote:
Sovereign

That was fucking brilliant! I haven't listened to it in ages actually. Thanks for the reminder.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:20 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Join me in with the *shrug shoulders* brigade. They have burnt out.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:26 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Given to the Rising is the only one of theirs I'm a bit indifferent about. The rest are 4-5 fists.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:22 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I really like everything they've done from 1992's "Souls At Zero" to be honest. I have faith that this one won't disappoint me either.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Given To The Rising would have sounded better without Albini in my view.

It isn't that he is a bad producer, it's just that 17 years is a long time for any band to work with one producer. There is just no getting around that.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Times Of Grace was a good change for them and a really good album - although it obviously marked the end of the excellence and their peak with the streak of the 3 prior to it.

Times of Grace sounded a little off-putting at first, but once I warmed to it I loved it. A Sun That Never Sets was really good, but it was a step down and seemed a bit generic 'post rock' in places. The follow up was interesting as it represented a break with their typical song structures. Given To The Rising, on the other hand, was the first album to represent a sidestep rather than a progression, but it has its moments. Their last album was 4 fists to me.

I've never understand the fondness in some quarters for the collaboration with Jarboe though. It just sounds like a bunch of tapes sent back and forth in the mail to me. It's not particularly cohesive.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
Given To The Rising would have sounded better without Albini in my view.

It isn't that he is a bad producer, it's just that 17 years is a long time for any band to work with one producer. There is just no getting around that.

I agree with that. I've been hoping for someone else, like Kurt Ballou, to take over for years, but never mind.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:53 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

FeedMeVibration wrote:
It's a misnomer with Neurosis anyway. They've never worked with a producer in any creative sense - what they take in the studio is fully-formed beforehand. They like the clarity they get from Albini so stick with it.

All my Neurosis stuff is in storage so I can't check, but I think there's only one demo recording I've heard which was compositionally distinct from the album version, and even that was just fewer bars of a phrase leading into a coda.

It's not like, say, when Clutch did The Elephant Riders. There were loads of tweaks and flourishes direct from Douglas that made their way into the arrangements there.

Neurosis aren't into that. The work gets done in a bubble, for better or worse. It would run counter to their rationale to change that.

I realise that, but Albini does have an influence over the overall sound of the album, if not the songs themselves. It just would be nice to hear someone else take the helm for a change.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'd argue there isn't enough clarity to Albini's sound at times. Neurosis could use a sharper snare sound, for example, rather than a flat plodding thing in the background that merely resembles a snare.

Jack Douglas did a great job with Clutch, although it sounds nothing like their other albums or any other album that Douglas has worked on for that matter.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Sounds decent, but Neurosis' trailblazing days are long behind them. It took a while for the scene to catch up to them, but that happened well over a decade ago so Neurosis don't seem quite as unique as they once did.

Having said that, I'm more than happy to support them even if they aren't releasing albums that are worth any more than a 4/5.

Being a Neurosis fan in 2016 is all about managed expectations.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:36 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Stat_Rad wrote:
Being a

metal/ music
Stat_Rad wrote:
fan in 2016 is all about managed expectations.

too.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

FeedMeVibration wrote:
Terrific album. Takes some doing to be that lean (in relative terms) without feeling like anything is lost along the way. A great surprise.

Plus, and always bears repeating, Noah Landis is a bonafide genius.

It's not out yet, is it?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next