www.Terrorizer.com
http://forum.terrorizer.com/

The Metal Rulebook.
http://forum.terrorizer.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8771
Page 2 of 3

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Baphomet wrote:
Don't wear short pants and a cap on stage. Stop it.


Except Scott Ian.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Vim Fuego wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
Don't wear short pants and a cap on stage. Stop it.


Except Scott Ian.

He should just stop.

Author:  Triggmartyr [ Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

If you've recently formed a band and you've labelled said band as OLD-SCHOOL THRASH on the basis you can all play a few old Testament/Vio-Lence/Nuclear Assault/Exodus riffs, your singer sounds like the guy from D.R.I, you all wear skinny jeans with white hi-tops, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good (Bonded By Blood and Gama Bomb, I'm looking in your direction). Even if you get Ed Repka to do your artwork...

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

As a metal fan, once you've passed the age of 30, you've got to become cynical and bitter about everything coming out now, especially from bands you loved as a teenager, constantly complaining that nothing is as good as it used to be, and new bands trying to emulate the old school feel and/or sound just don't get it and get it wrong, and the new stuff that's coming out is even shittier than glam/grunge/nu-metal.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Vim Fuego wrote:
As a metal fan, once you've passed the age of 30, you've got to become cynical and bitter about everything coming out now, especially from bands you loved as a teenager, constantly complaining that nothing is as good as it used to be, and new bands trying to emulate the old school feel and/or sound just don't get it and get it wrong, and the new stuff that's coming out is even shittier than glam/grunge/nu-metal.

It's funny because the non metal bands I've lives since the early nineties have released some great stuff, I thought the latest testament albums have been great, along with overkill and flotsam and jetsam and even metal church. For me it's recognising when a band still has that desire and fire rather than phoning it in.

Author:  vandlass [ Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Arguing that liking your favorite band's new shitty pop infested direction makes you "open minded". Just stop that.

Author:  blacklorre [ Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Please put covers at the end of album!

Author:  robitusson [ Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

One thing which used to be a metal rule is doing some kind of greeting type of thing or command at the start of the song.

Motorhead knew how to do this perfectly. 'Hello, victims!' at the beginning of "Sweet revenge", 'Over the top!' on "Poison"
'Don't touch that dial!' on "Talking head", 'Areyouready? let's go!' on "Sex & outrage", 'Shoot, shoot, shoot!' on "Over the top" etc. etc.

Another version of this was Bolt Thrower roaring the song title at the beginning like "Cenotaph" or "World eater" of course.

Desaster do a pretty good "METALLL!' at the beginning of "Metalized blood". Vader have something in this tradition on "Army-geddon" on their new album.

Anyway it's a lost art the there should be more of it.

Author:  RainbowPrince [ Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

I generally like the vocal announcement of song titles at the start of a song (or as the first lyric). Bestial Invasion by Destruction comes to mind; Schmier yelling the title of the track as it explodes into the main riff. Has good impact.

Author:  Mali [ Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Vim Fuego wrote:
Mali wrote:
No new band shalt use any name that has been used by another band that released an album in the last 25 years (well, ever really...). Don't ask me for examples, but I've seen bands about with names that are clearly already in use and it doesn't take much to check on Encyclopedia Metallicum does it?


There are 35 bands called Legion on the site, 3 called The Legion, and another 104 either formerly known as Legion, or with Legion in their name e.g. Legion of the Damned.


I've just seen some power metal cunts called Whiplash. Fuck off!

Author:  Cuchulainn [ Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Mali wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Mali wrote:
No new band shalt use any name that has been used by another band that released an album in the last 25 years (well, ever really...). Don't ask me for examples, but I've seen bands about with names that are clearly already in use and it doesn't take much to check on Encyclopedia Metallicum does it?


There are 35 bands called Legion on the site, 3 called The Legion, and another 104 either formerly known as Legion, or with Legion in their name e.g. Legion of the Damned.


I've just seen some power metal cunts called Whiplash. Fuck off!

Totally fuck off. For that matter, back in 'the day', Overkill and Exciter were 'power metal'. Not this queer on a stick shite we have nowadays.

Author:  ajk70 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

No album or song titles with more than 4 or 5 words. Fucking Inquisition. I like their music, but still.....

One song off their new one has 11 words. A couple others have 10, ffs

Author:  Triggmartyr [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

robitusson wrote:
One thing which used to be a metal rule is doing some kind of greeting type of thing or command at the start of the song.



At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul.

...GO!!!

Author:  Solaris [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

The Mass Appeal Madness version of Unchallenged Hate, you get the song title and a 'Kam Lee Vocal Wipeout'.

Author:  blacklorre [ Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

ajk70 wrote:
No album or song titles with more than 4 or 5 words.


Except Bal Sagoth!

Author:  Zander [ Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

If a band dramatically changes their style between albums, particularly to something softer/more commercial, they must change their band logo and/or artwork style so that all fans are fairly warned.

Author:  Solaris [ Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Whatever about the typeface, inverted commas always irritated me. Got it on tapes a lot - you'd have the full/square cover art, with a black panel and the artist/album titles below. Looked cheap to me. Prime example:

Image

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

Solaris wrote:
Whatever about the typeface, inverted commas always irritated me. Got it on tapes a lot - you'd have the full/square cover art, with a black panel and the artist/album titles below. Looked cheap to me. Prime example:

Image


So many of my tapes looked like that. The other option were to crop or stretch the artwork to fit. Stretching looked terrible.

Image

Image

Author:  Cuchulainn [ Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

I don't know anyone who bought fucking tapes. Apart from blank ones.

Author:  Vim Fuego [ Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Metal Rulebook.

I've got about 400. CD players were fucking expensive in the 80s, and I couldn't afford a record player for a long time either. Tapes were just a lot more convenient back then too. You could stick them in your pocket, and play them in your Walkman, so you weren't stuck listening to the radio. Or boring arsed geography lectures. I thought I was the fucking man when I first got a Walkman! 8-)

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/