www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Ascending / Breaking Through / The Aftermath: Artists/Albums
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ascending / Breaking Through / The Aftermath: Artists/Albums 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Re: Ascending / Breaking Through / The Comedown - Artists/Al
I would include No Code by Pearl Jam and World Coming Down by Type O Negative as examples of great "response to fame" records.

Good topic.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Yeah good point. Vs. was pretty uncommercial compared with Ten. And then Vitalogy was even more abrasive. And then No Code comes out and it is a complete left turn.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Faith no more?

Real thing/angel dust/kingl for a day.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:48 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

FeedMeVibration wrote:
You reckon? I'd definitely have The Real Thing as the breakthrough and Angel Dust as it's hangover.

Angel dust had a lot more hits, especially over here, it was deffo their breakthrough album in the uk.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:15 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Introduce was ascending, Real Thing & Dust was breaking thru & everything after that was a comedown. Subjectively.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:21 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Pink Floyd. Meddle = ascending, DSOTM = breakthrough, WYWH = comedown. Although they were doing pretty well prior to Meddle anyway. Just not stratospheric.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Obviously we all have different opinions, but I always saw Streetcleaner as Godflesh's breakthrough and Pure as their comedown. Don't get me wrong, I love Pure and think it is their best album but I know a lot of people, at the time, who hated it for the cold clinical sound compared to the grit of Streetcleaner

Another one is NIN. I always saw Fragile as a deliberate attempt to fuck with the success of Pretty Hate Machine, but it didn't work in that it became more successful - yet look at it, a deliberately obtuse record

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Even though it's an EP, I always thought of Broken as their/his breakthrough release. Wish brought them a new level of awareness that PHM (and Head Like A Hole in particular) only hinted at (a rare exemple of a band becoming more popular with a heavier sound). The Downward Spiral, while it definitely built on and profited from that, was much darker and less commercial overall. IMO, of course.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:
Even though it's an EP, I always thought of Broken as their/his breakthrough release. Wish brought them a new level of awareness that PHM (and Head Like A Hole in particular) only hinted at (a rare exemple of a band becoming more popular with a heavier sound). The Downward Spiral, while it definitely built on and profited from that, was much darker and less commercial overall. IMO, of course.

Shit, I meant Downward Spiral, not fragile

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Off topic but pretty hate machine is still a top notch album.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Got another:

Carcass - ascending was Symphonies, breaking through was Necrotism, Comedown was Heartwork

Admittedly I hate Heartwork so I am biassed, but this was a band who didn't know what to do after Necrotism, Heartwork was a significant change - no more medical dictionary lyrics, completely different cover art and obviously the melodic DM direction.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'd say Heartwork was the sound of a band that knew exactly what they wanted to do, a very deliberate change in style and aesthetic (and a successful one, in that they laid down a blueprint for melodic death metal's subsequent direction). I wouldn't call it a comedown at all, despite my not liking it as much as the preceding couple. Swansong is the sound of a band confused, definitely but not Heartwork.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Matsui wrote:
Got another:

Carcass - ascending was Symphonies, breaking through was Necrotism, Comedown was Heartwork

Admittedly I hate Heartwork so I am biassed, but this was a band who didn't know what to do after Necrotism, Heartwork was a significant change - no more medical dictionary lyrics, completely different cover art and obviously the melodic DM direction.

Heartwork was probably the ascending tbh, yes they were getting bigger before that but the whole Earache deal with Colombia/Giant coincided with the Carcass shift to melodic DM wholly; they suffered as much as MA with Domination etc in the fallout from that.
Funny how Surgical Steel is hailed (rightly) as a great album but has far more in common with Heartwork than Necrotism.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Ascending / Breaking Through / The Aftermath: Artists/Al
It's a perfect marriage of the two styles, and better than the latter as a result.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Matsui wrote:
Got another:

Bang on. I hate Heartwork too.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]