www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Best metal album each year since 1970
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 am



Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Best metal album each year since 1970 
Author Message
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
You gonna include Cream, Blue Cheer & Hendrix as metal too rob? How about the Beatles?


Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
No. None of them.


Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9282
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
From BS to BM!

70 - Paranoid (BS)
16 - Metal Resistance (Babymetal)


Last edited by blacklorre on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 13 times in total.



Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44420
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
The 'metal' and even 'hard rock' end of things completely out the window, so.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Not one of those 70's albums is metal blackie. Back to the drawing board for you sir.


Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
blacklore's edited that 4 times on last count, but now we're saying that not even Sabbath, Budgie nor Van Halen are metal? :D


Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Black Sabbath are certainly a metal band but "Never Say Die!" has very little metal on it. It's more of a hard rock record for mine. And no... those Van Halen & Budgie albums weren't metal. I'm interested to know what you consider to be a hard rock release rob. Do you not acknowledge that particular subgenre? I can't fathom someone saying that Van Halen are not a hard rock band.


Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44420
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Of course Van Halen aren't metal, Rob's just being contrary now. Budgie were borderline at times but overall? Nah.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
opaline wrote:
Black Sabbath are certainly a metal band but "Never Say Die!" has very little metal on it. It's more of a hard rock record for mine. And no... those Van Halen & Budgie albums weren't metal. I'm interested to know what you consider to be a hard rock release rob. Do you not acknowledge that particular subgenre? I can't fathom someone saying that Van Halen are not a hard rock band.

Bands that played hard rock were Styx, Nazareth, Boston, Free, Creedence, The Eagles, Peter Frampton maybe - stuff like that.

But hard rock isn't a genre - it's just of a description of a certain sound. Some Metallica songs might sound like 'hard rock', but they're definitely a metal band. Just as bands like VH, Sabbath, Budgie, etc. were too. It's just a fact that what those bands played was called heavy metal. It's why when heavy metal bands was starting up again in the late 70's, it was called the NEW wave of British heavy metal - new as opposed to the old wave - Sabbath, Purple, Budgie, etc. Surely you know all this already? :?:


Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Solaris wrote:
Of course Van Halen aren't metal, Rob's just being contrary now.

Nah, I just like the facts.


Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Of the well-known 70's artists I really only consider Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead & early Iron Maiden to be genuine metal bands at that time. In fact I don't even consider the debut albums from Judas Priest & Motorhead to fit the bill. Of the lesser known bands I would say Legend (US) & Heavy Load played legitimate metal & I could also accept Quartz & Accept who were kinda 50/50. I don't buy into statements about Rainbow, Budgie, Scorpions, Sir Lord Baltimore, Riot, Bang, Saxon, Sorcery, Samson, etc being genuine heavy metal bands in the 70's. Call them proto-metal if it makes you feel better but I see no reason to attach wishy-washy labels like that when there's already a descriptor that fits very comfortably in "hard rock".


Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:40 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44420
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
robitusson wrote:
opaline wrote:
Black Sabbath are certainly a metal band but "Never Say Die!" has very little metal on it. It's more of a hard rock record for mine. And no... those Van Halen & Budgie albums weren't metal. I'm interested to know what you consider to be a hard rock release rob. Do you not acknowledge that particular subgenre? I can't fathom someone saying that Van Halen are not a hard rock band.

Bands that played hard rock were Styx, Nazareth, Boston, Free, Creedence, The Eagles, Peter Frampton maybe - stuff like that.

But hard rock isn't a genre - it's just of a description of a certain sound. Some Metallica songs might sound like 'hard rock', but they're definitely a metal band. Just as bands like VH, Sabbath, Budgie, etc. were too. It's just a fact that what those bands played was called heavy metal. It's why when heavy metal bands was starting up again in the late 70's, it was called the NEW wave of British heavy metal - new as opposed to the old wave - Sabbath, Purple, Budgie, etc. Surely you know all this already? :?:

Silly boy. Your own logic works against you - just as a heavy metal band like Black Sabbath could curl out a hard rock turd like It's Alright, so a rock band like, say Deep Purple could spit out Fireball. Judas Priest (I'm told they've been metal band on occasion) shat out Turbo, Deaf Leopard had On Through The Night, Thin Lizzy had Shades Of A Blue Orphanage and Jailbreak, and so on and so forth...

Your footstomping is as irrelevant as your black metal confusion. You're simply wrong, old bean.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:09 am
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
You are literally denying facts to stick to a personal belief, just like your much hated Creationist Christians. The flat earth society is taking members, Sol.


Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 am
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
opaline wrote:
Of the well-known 70's artists I really only consider Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead & early Iron Maiden to be genuine metal bands at that time. In fact I don't even consider the debut albums from Judas Priest & Motorhead to fit the bill. Of the lesser known bands I would say Legend (US) & Heavy Load played legitimate metal & I could also accept Quartz & Accept who were kinda 50/50. I don't buy into statements about Rainbow, Budgie, Scorpions, Sir Lord Baltimore, Riot, Bang, Saxon, Sorcery, Samson, etc being genuine heavy metal bands in the 70's. Call them proto-metal if it makes you feel better but I see no reason to attach wishy-washy labels like that when there's already a descriptor that fits very comfortably in "hard rock".

If you personally don't think Saxon or Rainbow are heavy metal, that's fine. Have a personal distinction all you like.

I'm talking about what was actually called heavy metal in the 70s by the press, by fans and by bands themselves (however dismissively). I'm not talking about a retrospective, personal distinction from today's point of view based on what the music might sound like to us now.

I have my own opinions of course, but the reality is in the 1970s something like In Rock or Rainbow or Budgie was what heavy metal was. Sol is confused about it, because those bands played a variety of styles. "Beth" by KISS for example is not a 'heavy metal' song by any means, but neither is it a 'hard rock' song. Nonetheless KISS were considered to be what heavy metal was. Genres just weren't as packaged then. Metal as a genre might be Dragonforce or Arch Enemy or some such streamlined and neatly defined style now, but that doesn't magically change the past to suit what we might think now.


Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am
Profile
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:54 am
Posts: 971
Location: Melbourne
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Does Led Zeppelin count as "metal" ???

_________________
Tool are lying about their new album. There IS no new album.


Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 am
Profile
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:54 am
Posts: 971
Location: Melbourne
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
opaline wrote:
You gonna include Cream, Blue Cheer & Hendrix as metal too rob? How about the Beatles?



Aha!! I see...somebody's already picked up on this.

_________________
Tool are lying about their new album. There IS no new album.


Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 am
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44420
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Not confused at all, and you've completely ignored the point I made.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 17340
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
1981: Iron Maiden - Killers
1982: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
1983: Metallica - Kill 'em All
1984: Iron Maiden - Powerslave
1985: Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
1986: Slayer - Reign in Blood
1987: Anthrax - Among the Living
1988: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
1989: Sabbat - Drewmweaver
1990: Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21145
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
1996 - Metallica - Load (I just haven't heard many albums from that year)


No shit!

Also, Kiss, AC/DC and Van Halen are not metal.

I'm going to attempt to put together my own personal list from 1980 onwards:


1980: Iron Maiden
1981: Killers
1982: Screaming for Vengeance
1983: Melissa
1984: Don't Break The Oath
1985: To Mega Therion
1986: Reign In Blood
1987: Abigail
1988: Seventh Son of The Seventh Son
1989: Altars of Madness
1990: Painkiller
1991: Arise
1992: Vulgar Display of Power
1993: Bloody Kisses
1994: Burn My Eyes
1995: Slaughter of The Soul
1996: Through Silver In Blood
1997: Omnio
1998: Chaosphere
1999: Times of Grace
2000: White Pony
2001: 10,000 Light Years (if it counts)
2002: Remission
2003: Viva Emptiness
2004: The Eye of Every Storm
2005: The Gathering Wilderness
2006: Monotheist
2007: Death Is This Communion
2008: The Black Flux
2009: Foulest Semen of The Sheltered Elite
2010: Opus Eponymous
2011: Worship Music
2013: Colored Sands
2014: Melana Chasmata



Ok I'm officially giving up here. It's getting too hard. I was struggling after 2005/06. Not enough standouts and I stopped listening to the genre as regularly around that time too.

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am
Profile
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 195
Location: Sarf East Landan, innit
Post Re: Best metal album each year since 1970
I'm old enough to remember the 70's and metal was (at the time) a very broad church.

The first issue of Kerrang (from June 81) was a "Sounds Heavy Metal Special" and featured bands as diverse as Venom, Motorhead, Girlschool, Styx, Pat Benatar, Graham Bonnet, ZZ Top and UFO (among others). The genrification only really started in the mid 80's to differentiate between "true metal" such as thrash,death metal, black metal and "false metal" like glam, AOR etc. It became an easy marketing tool.

_________________
Your Mother cooks socks in Hull


Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.