www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 394  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
opaline wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Production's a bit 'dry' on Clandestine IMO, and the vocals aren't the best either, but the experimentation in the writing is admirable. LHP pisses all over it, though.

I'm the opposite really. "Clandestine" is comfortably my go-to Entombed record. I actually love the production. Especially the drums. And the added complexity makes for a much more rewarding listen. I don't have any problem with the vocals at all. It's one of my all-timers.

Third place for me behind Left Hand Path and Wolverine Blues. It's good but not great, I doubt it'd make my top 20 of DM albums.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Wolverine Blues is shite.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:13 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I haven't heard that one in a long time. I might give it another shot at one point.

NP: Judas Priest - Stained Class

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
"Melissa" is my favourite Fate release which is mainly due to the incredible atmosphere that the strange production (particularly the rhythm guitars) gives it & the wealth of amazing riffs. The drum sound is quite brilliant too. I'd also put the self-titled E.P. ahead of "Don't Break The Oath". I think the more progressive approach to the composition (with loads of Rush worship), the glossier production job & the additional neoclassical influence saw Fate losing a little bit of the dark aura they'd created. "Don't Break The Oath" certainly sounds more accessible than it's older siblings even though it's also more consistently complex. I still like it but think it's a step down for their first two records.

What's the difference between Vermeer's The Milkmaid and The Art of Painting? ;) They are both classics, so it hardly matters.

As for Don't Break The Oath, the fact that it sounds both complex and streamlined simultaneously is one of its greatest assets.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Uncanny - Splenium for Nyktophobia

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Melissa. Clandestine. Because... reasons!

Now Playing:

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Autopsy - [img]Severed%20Survival[/img]

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
opaline wrote:
"Melissa" is my favourite Fate release which is mainly due to the incredible atmosphere that the strange production (particularly the rhythm guitars) gives it & the wealth of amazing riffs. The drum sound is quite brilliant too. I'd also put the self-titled E.P. ahead of "Don't Break The Oath". I think the more progressive approach to the composition (with loads of Rush worship), the glossier production job & the additional neoclassical influence saw Fate losing a little bit of the dark aura they'd created. "Don't Break The Oath" certainly sounds more accessible than it's older siblings even though it's also more consistently complex. I still like it but think it's a step down for their first two records.

What's the difference between Vermeer's The Milkmaid and The Art of Painting? ;) They are both classics, so it hardly matters.

As for Don't Break The Oath, the fact that it sounds both complex and streamlined simultaneously is one of its greatest assets.

I personally fucking love everything MF did up to and including DBTO. The 'comeback' albums can all fuck off, as can the King Diamond band.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Gorguts - "Obscura" (1998)

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
I personally fucking love everything MF did up to and including DBTO. The 'comeback' albums can all fuck off, as can the King Diamond band.

I quite like 1993's "In The Shadows" actually. None of the subsequent Fate releases appeal to me though. The King Diamond solo material was much stronger & there's plenty to interest me there.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Runemagick - Darkness Death Doom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

"Sin After Sin" is the most overrated Judas Priest release in my opinion. I love the first couple of tracks & the last couple of tracks & "Call for the Priest / Raw Deal" is pretty solid too. But the trio of songs in the middle (including "Starbreaker", "Last Rose Of Summer" & "Let Us Prey") does nothing for me personally. So overall I'd give it a 3.5/5 which seems to be in direct comparison to the universal 5/5 ratings I see from everyone else.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I like it way more than Stained Class actually, which to me is the most inconsistent effort out of the SSS triology. I still think Sad Wings of Destiny is the best JP ever did, even if it did take me quite some time to fully grasp it.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I definitely prefer "Stained Class" over "Sin After Sin". I think "Stained Class" is about as consistent as "Sad Wings Of Destiny" but "Sad Wings..." has the stronger peaks so I agree with you that it's the best of the three.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:37 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

I quite like 1993's "In The Shadows" actually. None of the subsequent Fate releases appeal to me though. The King Diamond solo material was much stronger & there's plenty to interest me there.

I like In The Shadows and Time a lot. After that, they were hit and miss. Into The Unknown has some very good songs, but it's mostly forgettable, and Dead Again sounds like a failed attempt at going back to their old style. 9 was good, but it was patchy from memory.

I've said this many times on here before, but The Spider's Lullabye was extremely overlooked in the mid 90's, and unfairly too. It has some of King's catchiest and most direct songs. LaRoque kills it and Diamond's vocals are superb on it, especially the harmonies.

N.P MERCYFUL FATE Don't Break The Oath

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:28 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Comecon - Converging Conspiracies

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Entombed - Wolverine Blues

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:

Any good?

I only have The Truth EP on cd, but it's almost unlistenable. Very under produced and the vocals were really ropey. That said there was definitely promise in the music with their Wishbone Ash-isms.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 394  Next