www.Terrorizer.com
http://forum.terrorizer.com/

What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
http://forum.terrorizer.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9555
Page 212 of 280

Author:  FlockaJawaka [ Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

High On Fire - Electric Messiah

I think they're one of the betterer and more respectable straight up metal bands going. You know what you're getting with them i.e.speeding diesel engine ft.gargling lunatic shouting stuff about olden times over it... but this sounds like another fine record.

Author:  handmadegod [ Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Author:  handmadegod [ Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Ghost Meliora

Author:  handmadegod [ Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

FlockaJawaka wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Image

Cave In ‘White Silence’


What you reckon to this? When they "came back" with the mixed up palette of sounds, it was never quite what it might have cracked up t've been, and a bit caught between the stools for me.


I actually enjoy it, especially when they manage to mix up the melodic and abrasive elements (‘Sings My Loves’ is immense). It wasn’t so surprising for me after the Planets of Old EP from two years prior. It just felt like all the splintering influences of the band members were thrown into one big melting pot.

Now playing:
Image

Author:  opaline [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Trouble - “Psalm 9” (1984)

Author:  doomrider [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Chinese Whispers wrote:
FlockaJawaka wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Image

Cave In ‘White Silence’


What you reckon to this? When they "came back" with the mixed up palette of sounds, it was never quite what it might have cracked up t've been, and a bit caught between the stools for me.


I actually enjoy it, especially when they manage to mix up the melodic and abrasive elements (‘Sings My Loves’ is immense). It wasn’t so surprising for me after the Planets of Old EP from two years prior. It just felt like all the splintering influences of the band members were thrown into one big melting pot.


I think it's a great album.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

opaline wrote:
Image

Trouble - “Psalm 9” (1984)


ALL THE FISTS!

doomrider wrote:
I think it's a great album.


Agreed. I'll actually go ahead and be a bit wacky - I actually wonder how a band like Converge would sound if they had a vocalist like Stephen Brodsky. I know that's probably a bit too wacky, but I think they would be even greater. I sometimes feel like White Silence would be a good approximation of what that would sound like.

Author:  doomrider [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Chinese Whispers wrote:
opaline wrote:
Image

Trouble - “Psalm 9” (1984)


ALL THE FISTS!

doomrider wrote:
I think it's a great album.


Agreed. I'll actually go ahead and be a bit wacky - I actually wonder how a band like Converge would sound if they had a vocalist like Stephen Brodsky. I know that's probably a bit too wacky, but I think they would be even greater. I sometimes feel like White Silence would be a good approximation of what that would sound like.


Axe to Fall may be that album, or at least the closest we have. It also happens to be my favourite Converge album.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

I guess so. It's a minor complaint though.

Now playing:
Image

Not super big on B.I.G., and I certainly don't miss the obsession of CD era of stuffing to the max run length, especially with hip hop/rap. And the 'sex' tracks...just so much cringe.

Author:  FlockaJawaka [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Chinese Whispers wrote:
FlockaJawaka wrote:

What you reckon to this? When they "came back" with the mixed up palette of sounds, it was never quite what it might have cracked up t've been, and a bit caught between the stools for me.


I actually enjoy it, especially when they manage to mix up the melodic and abrasive elements (‘Sings My Loves’ is immense). It wasn’t so surprising for me after the Planets of Old EP from two years prior. It just felt like all the splintering influences of the band members were thrown into one big melting pot


i like it when they hit their stride on those records, agreed "Sing My Loves" is magic and in principle it was all a very exciting prospect. That was the problem though, the mixes of elements sometimes went a bit unemulsified and in the end those reclrds had a diary or anthology feel to them. Legend band, had a proper affair between 98 and 02/3 with this lot. recent events pretty wank, tribute shows are for real sad as fuck..

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

FlockaJawaka wrote:
i like it when they hit their stride on those records, agreed "Sing My Loves" is magic and in principle it was all a very exciting prospect. That was the problem though, the mixes of elements sometimes went a bit unemulsified and in the end those reclrds had a diary or anthology feel to them. Legend band, had a proper affair between 98 and 02/3 with this lot. recent events pretty wank, tribute shows are for real sad as fuck..


Yeah, I can kind of agree on that, RE: anthology feel. Even Perfect Pitch Black had that kind of feel to it, even down to the run order (separating the more mellow second-half material from the more metallic first-half).

Even just listening to the stuff that both Brodsky and Scofield went on to do following that, you really didn't know what direction Cave In would go if they came back from hiatus (in fact, I kind of expected them to stay that way before Planets of Old surfaced.

Obviously from the debut through Jupiter to Antenna, and all the EPs released between there, they were certainly more focused. Whether or not signing to a major, with the pros and cons that come with that, knocked that focus out a bit is hard to tell. But it seems that way. And White Silence definitely sounded and felt like an album that was more a passion project than a product or logical career step. And sure enough, they were pretty much back into hibernation from there.

Now Playing:
Image

Author:  doomrider [ Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Quote:
Yeah, I can kind of agree on that, RE: anthology feel. Even Perfect Pitch Black had that kind of feel to it, even down to the run order (separating the more mellow second-half material from the more metallic first-half).


I can agree on that as well. However, I love the sheer creativity of that "scene": The whole original Hydra Head roster was pretty diverse and creative. Cave In were the embodiment of that and I can forgive the lack of cohesiveness on their later releases. In itself, White Silence does come across as two E.P.s, rather than one album.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Just some good ol' death metal on a Monday.

Author:  blacklorre [ Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Author:  FlockaJawaka [ Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Thou - Heathen

:cry:

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Kid Koala 12 Bit Blues

Kid Koala basically deconstructs than reconstructs blues songs on an SP-1200 sampler, and it is surprising enjoyable in an inventive way.

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Soilent Green Confrontation

Author:  opaline [ Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Image

Saint Vitus - “Saint Vitus” (1984)

Page 212 of 280 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/