www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 251  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
FlockaJawaka wrote:
Maybe it's just that, in itself - it is mostly material that has a strong reference point, it's quite backwards-looking. With just-fresh-enough spins ideas-wise, sonic palette-wise (not playing wise - that shit is top tier) to have made it stand out enough. Same goes for Aristocrats, it is quite staid and learned. A little bit vehicular for the marquee players. Allan Holdsworth was his own universe, I wish Guthrie was. What do you think of the Cakes record, do you like it?

Songs like 'Waves' to me don't sound like they are strongly referencing anything in particular. They sound quite 'progressive' for guitar rock music.

I like Erotic Cakes quite a bit. I first heard it years ago, but I didn't get a copy until just recently.

Holdsworth and Di Meola were pretty much islands onto themselves, especially Holdsworth, although I don't like the new age-y aspect of some of his music at all.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:49 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:08 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Stat_Rad wrote:
Songs like 'Waves' to me don't sound like they are strongly referencing anything in particular. They sound quite 'progressive' for guitar rock music.

I don't know, I cant greatly distinguish it from a lot of time-trodden rock fusion, which I admit I've had more exposure to than a person might be reasonably expected to tolerate in my own pursuit of guitar canon. I just don't know what I want from the guy, Stat Rad :cry: A bit more danger, more arrogance or chutzpah, a bit less nod/wink and the feeling of that canon coming through so strong. I don't mean like joining Brain Drill or something.. Take Animals As Leaders as someone who I think are reaching through in the manner that I mean, so clever and with fresh ideas, and still in touch with its chromosomal Satriani. And accessible.

n.p. Zach Hill - Astrological Straights

batshit racket

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Very few people were raving about Suffocation's Pierced From Within in 1995, yet look at its reputation now.

That's very different to my own experience although admittedly I was a part of an active gigging brutal death metal band at the time. Pretty much everyone in & around my circles were raving about it & the wealth of Cannibal Corpse t-shirts we'd been seeing at our gigs started to be diluted by Suffocation ones pretty quickly. I bought "Pierced From Within" on the day of release & it absolutely knocked my socks off from the first few seconds of my initial listen. I don't think it's been bettered in the BDM space & it's been in my all-time top ten albums ever since.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:55 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Bolt Thrower’s style (as well as those of notable early-90s Swedeath bands) enjoyed a bit of a comeback a few years ago with bands like Gate Creeper, but like a lot of these metal rehashes (pizza thrash?), they seemed to completely miss the point and felt like nth generation facsimiles of far superior material. Whether or not the listeners knew the reference points like Bolt Thrower and Entombed is a question I don’t know the answer too, but the bands certainly knew enough to try and reproduce them.

Now Playing:

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The most Swedish death metal sounding Polish release I've ever heard - and it's not even new!

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:40 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FlockaJawaka wrote:
I just don't know what I want from the guy, Stat Rad :cry: A bit more danger, more arrogance or chutzpah, a bit less nod/wink and the feeling of that canon coming through so strong. I don't mean like joining Brain Drill or something.. Take Animals As Leaders as someone who I think are reaching through in the manner that I mean, so clever and with fresh ideas, and still in touch with its chromosomal Satriani. And accessible.

See I find Animals As Leaders to sound a bit sterile and boring. The stuff I've heard sounds like Dream Theater filtered through Botch and Meshuggah.

We probably have different views on this sort of thing though. I recall you drilling me for digging recent Macalpine a years ago? Saying it was generic prog metal? Was that you? ;)

However, if you are arguing that Govan is a great synthesizer rather than a genuine innovator, I have no problem with that because it's definitely true.

opaline wrote:
That's very different to my own experience although admittedly I was a part of an active gigging brutal death metal band at the time. Pretty much everyone in & around my circles were raving about it & the wealth of Cannibal Corpse t-shirts we'd been seeing at our gigs started to be diluted by Suffocation ones pretty quickly. I bought "Pierced From Within" on the day of release & it absolutely knocked my socks off from the first few seconds of my initial listen. I don't think it's been bettered in the BDM space & it's been in my all-time top ten albums ever since.

That sounds ultra exclusive to me, because I reckon I saw less than a handful of Suffocation shirts around town back then. Plenty of CC ones though. Black metal was also taking over from death metal in 95 in Aus, so the shine was definitely off it.

The critics gave Pierced a thumbs up but the consensus was that it was just a very good example of its genre and that's it. Same with most zines I read back in the day too. I recall very few raves until years later. That doesn't mean of course that people weren't raving about it. Usually how these things work is that the people who rave about something when others don't eventually convince others that they were right all along ;)

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Whether or not the listeners knew the reference points like Bolt Thrower and Entombed is a question I don’t know the answer too, but the bands certainly knew enough to try and reproduce them.

This is always a hard question to answer because unless the band is getting a lot of media coverage, it's almost impossible to know whether they really appeal to the younger generation of listeners or not. There are always going to be young people like Colin40 that enjoy the old stuff, but most bands tend to have generational appeal unless they are canon, and even then that doesn't always save them. How many people did you know back in the mid 90's that listened to Mercyful Fate, for example? Sure they were constantly name checked, but who was actively listening to them? It wasn't your average 16 year old metalhead in 1995, that's for damn sure. They weren't listening to Time or Don't Break The Oath, they were listening to Demanufacture.

Things have changed since then, and the generational lines aren't as strict as they once were, but most bands don't really have cross generational appeal.

N.P J MASCIS Elastic Days

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:

This is always a hard question to answer because unless the band is getting a lot of media coverage, it's almost impossible to know whether they really appeal to the younger generation of listeners or not. There are always going to be young people like Colin40 that enjoy the old stuff, but most bands tend to have generational appeal unless they are canon, and even then that doesn't always save them. How many people did you know back in the mid 90's that listened to Mercyful Fate, for example? Sure they were constantly name checked, but who was actively listening to them? It wasn't your average 16 year old metalhead in 1995, that's for damn sure. They weren't listening to Time or Don't Break The Oath, they were listening to Demanufacture.

I'm glad you took me as an example. Personally though, I didn't end up listening to death metal right away. When I got into music around the age of 13/14 I went from Linkin Park to metalcore/nu metal to melodic death to death metal and the rest is history. Now that I'm 25 I can't imagine liking the stuff I got into at first anymore. :lol:

NP: Image

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Judging by the albums you have been listening to recently, if I didn't know better I would have assumed that the 40 in your name is actually your real age ;)

N.P GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:33 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Well thanks for that. I guess.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:11 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

What utter shite!

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

^ Any good?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

That Necrot album is decent, yeah.

turdy wrote:

What utter shite!

Isn't it just? The last one was great, though.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 251  Next