www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 294  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Recently (as in 12 months ago) got this on vinyls. Have always enjoyed this. Potentially the best BM band to come out of Australia (that I can think of off the top of my head right now. Correct me if I’m wrong).

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

opaline wrote:

Angelo Badalamenti - "Twin Peaks Theme" single (1992)

I sure hope you’re listening to the Japanese pressing, or that is the cover of The was released everywhere, otherwise my CDO cannot cope. But great theme.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^The best songs on that album sound like a more atmospheric Bolt Thrower. Like PL crossed with Bolt Thrower perhaps. It's a really good album, but the songwriting is a bit uneven at times. Very strong debut though. Not a classic, but definitely worth a listen.

N.P SOULFLY Ritual

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:16 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Lovely atmospheric post-metal/rock, with some nice electronic touches.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^The best songs on that album sound like a more atmospheric Bolt Thrower. Like PL crossed with Bolt Thrower perhaps. It's a really good album, but the songwriting is a bit uneven at times. Very strong debut though. Not a classic, but definitely worth a listen.

I actually prefer their EP; that crude production really helps bringing out the filthiest material alive. The full length is nice, too, even if some songs would have benefit from an extra riff or two or so. I told you before I'd prefer the Gorement album over this one - well, not anymore.

EDIT: Been sampling their mid/later stuff too, but it's not for me. Tales sounds rather confused and silly, as well as boring in the guitar department with some terrible clean vocals appearing here and there. The stuff that followed seemed better musically but the vocals don't click anymore. There are some decent moments on their new stuff too, but god do they really need to ruin their heaviest tunes with those poppy clean vocals and whatnot? Play some METAL already.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:33 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Tales sounds rather confused and silly, as well as boring in the guitar department with some terrible clean vocals appearing here and there. The stuff that followed seemed better musically but the vocals don't click anymore. There are some decent moments on their new stuff too, but god do they really need to ruin their heaviest tunes with those poppy clean vocals and whatnot? Play some METAL already.

How does Tales sound confused? I get that it has aged, but it completely blew me away in 94/95. I like the simplicity of the guitar riffs and the lead tone. Sounds quite distinctive.

N.P SOULFLY Ritual

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Take that back! There’s nothing silly about Tales...! Well, maybe a little.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Perhaps confused wasn't exactly the right word, but to me it's definitely a bad example of a (once) death metal band searching for new identity. The 99/01 mellow stuff seemed kinda catchy at least but Tales really does nothing to me. Also ''Black Winter Day'' has to be of the most hillarious ''classics'' I can think of. Those fucking keyboards. :lol:

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours

Eerie!

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:52 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I love Tales..., going way back, but the production is very much of its time. The melodies are maybe a bit corny, but for whatever reason I still love the atmosphere it exudes. Especially for its time it was quite unique (at least what I was hearing).

Now Playing:

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:57 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The Oath - S/T

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:55 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I love Tales..., going way back, but the production is very much of its time. The melodies are maybe a bit corny, but for whatever reason I still love the atmosphere it exudes. Especially for its time it was quite unique (at least what I was hearing).

I've never been a huge fan of Amorphis as they were clearly a bit too melodic for my taste however "Tales From the Thousand Lakes" is rightly regarded as their finest hour. I like it a lot more than I'd like to admit to myself.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:24 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:

The Sunlight sound is 'special' nowadays though. It really was a unique sound, but Amorphis combined that sound with a completely different style to what others were doing at the time, so Tales really stood out. It was one of the first examples of a Euro death metal band moving out of their comfort zone, and the members were barely out of their teens when they wrote it. Tomi was only 20 when it was actually recorded. Esa was maybe 21 or 22. Some of the melodies still work well and sound great while others have aged more, but that's inevitable given how young they were and how small their recording budget was.

Sure an argument can easily be made that Elegy is superior, but I just can't get behind the idea that they peaked later when Joutsen joined, even if it he is now their longest serving vocalist. They have made some good music with him, but the spark was gone long before he even stepped foot in the recording booth with them.

N.P SEPTIC FLESH Communion

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yeah, something about Tales... just captures a time and place for me, in a way that I can’t really articulate, so movin’ on.

Now Playing:

This band have always been sneaky good to me, despite some riffing getting perhaps a bit too ‘nu-metally’, but then they’ll do something interesting, almost proggy (without the wank), with the arrangement and head in a completely different direction.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Deadlands sounded more nu-metally to me. The one above sounded like they'd been listening to Nevermore.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol. 4

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:16 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Coroner - Punishment for Decadence

One of the best thrash metal albums.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^Deadlands sounded more nu-metally to me. The one above sounded like they'd been listening to Nevermore.

Yeah, I can definitely hear that, at least in the rhythm guitars.

Colin040 wrote:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol. 4

All the fists!!!

Colin040 wrote:
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence

One of the best thrash metal albums.

YES!

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Yeah, something about Tales... just captures a time and place for me, in a way that I can’t really articulate, so movin’ on.

Tales is a bit like Gothic in that regard. It's an album that really clicked with many on release but seemed less of a big deal as time went on. I didn't hear Gothic in full until 1997 or 98, so its impact was inevitably lost on me to some degree, even though I like it.

I also get why many young metal fans much prefer Septic Flesh's reunion albums to their 90's ones.

N.P J.MASCIS Elastic Days.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 5864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 294  Next