www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 294  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

System Of A Down - "Toxicity" (2001)

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Colin040 wrote:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol. 4

All the fists!!!

Hmm to me it's a 4/5. Mostly consistent but I think Sabotage is as perfect as 70s Sabbath would be.

Stat_Rad wrote:

I also get why many young metal fans much prefer Septic Flesh's reunion albums to their 90's ones.

I DON'T
Actually I do, as, I guess, they moved on with the times and there's nothing really ''90s''ish about their sound anymore, right?

NP: Sepultura - Morbid Visions

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Hmm to me it's a 4/5. Mostly consistent but I think Sabotage is as perfect as 70s Sabbath would be.

I'd go with a 3.5/5 personally. I've never really warmed to "Vol. 4" as much the rest of Sabbath's classic 70's albums. I think it's probably due to the fact that it has more groovy stoner material which is a sound that I've never had much time for. "Paranoid" would be my pick for 70's Sabbath (well.... Sabbath overall really).

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Volume 4 is probably a 4 for mine if I'm trying to be objective, but that initial six album run is a golden age, and would be in most band's catalogue. Probably the least of the first six (and the debut probably only jumps it by being so influential and being Year 0), but it is still a great album. Master of Reality is my personal favourite.

Now Playing:

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Actually I don't care much for Master of Reality - save for ''Into the Void'' and ''Children of the Grave''.

NP: Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
I DON'T
Actually I do, as, I guess, they moved on with the times and there's nothing really ''90s''ish about their sound anymore, right?

Yes, they moved with the times, beefed up their sound and got an image makeover, for better or worse.

JUDAS PRIEST Painkiller

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
Colin040 wrote:
I DON'T

Yes, they moved with the times, beefed up their sound and got an image makeover, for better or worse.

Btw isn't this basically the case with pretty much all those early atmospheric whatever death/black/doom bands?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Slayer - Hell Awaits

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
Colin040 wrote:
I DON'T

Btw isn't this basically the case with pretty much all those early atmospheric whatever death/black/doom bands?

Like who? SF reinvented themselves for a new generation. It was quite a drastic makeover. Other bands just changed slowly over time.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:34 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:19 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:

Like who? SF reinvented themselves for a new generation. It was quite a drastic makeover. Other bands just changed slowly over time.

Ah, nevermind then.

NP: Absu - The Sun of Tiphareth

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Mercyful Fate - Melissa

I'd give it a 3/5 rating - honesty, ''Evil'', ''Curse of the Pharaohs'' and ''Satan's Fall'' are all perfect but the rest just doesn't do much for me. Don't Break the Oath on the other hand, is pretty much flawless.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^^I had the same impression at first, but Melissa is a serious grower. Stick with it.

Re: ABSU The Sun of Tipareth. I was obsessed with that album in 1995. They weren't popular then. The Absu train didn't really get going until Tara, which I didn't like nearly as much as their previous work despite the fact that it's generally considered their best album. I did like their last two albums though.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sepultura - "Beneath The Remains" (1989)

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
I'd give it a 3/5 rating - honesty, ''Evil'', ''Curse of the Pharaohs'' and ''Satan's Fall'' are all perfect but the rest just doesn't do much for me. Don't Break the Oath on the other hand, is pretty much flawless.

"Melissa" is my favourite Fate release which is mainly due to the incredible atmosphere that the strange production (particularly the rhythm guitars) gives it & the wealth of amazing riffs. The drum sound is quite brilliant too. I'd also put the self-titled E.P. ahead of "Don't Break The Oath". I think the more progressive approach to the composition (with loads of Rush worship), the glossier production job & the additional neoclassical influence saw Fate losing a little bit of the dark aura they'd created. "Don't Break The Oath" certainly sounds more accessible than it's older siblings even though it's also more consistently complex. I still like it but think it's a step down for their first two records.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^^I had the same impression at first, but Melissa is a serious grower. Stick with it.

After years, my opinion still hasn't changed I'm afraid.

NP: Entombed - Clandestine

EDIT: I like it more than before. Doesn't go for the throat as often as LHP does, as I guess it's a little bit more ''progressive'' for lack of better term, but still a solid effort.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Production's a bit 'dry' on Clandestine IMO, and the vocals aren't the best either, but the experimentation in the writing is admirable. LHP pisses all over it, though.

I would also place Melissa and the debut E.P. above DBTO, without hesitation.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Afflicted - Prodigal Sun

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Production's a bit 'dry' on Clandestine IMO, and the vocals aren't the best either, but the experimentation in the writing is admirable. LHP pisses all over it, though.

I'm the opposite really. "Clandestine" is comfortably my go-to Entombed record. I actually love the production. Especially the drums. And the added complexity makes for a much more rewarding listen. I don't have any problem with the vocals at all. It's one of my all-timers.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

A super group of sorts featuring members of Dub Buk, Khors, Drudkh, and Nocturnal Mortum - in particular Varggoth and Roman Saenko. It's basically a homage to early 90's swedish death metal. So in a sense it's not essential, but a the same time it's a pretty solid listen.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 294  Next