www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5936 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 297  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

I haven’t quite connected with this release, at least not to the extent of their previous albums. I think it will be a grower though.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
re OPETH: What happened in my case is that I just got bored of their style for a while and failed to appreciate their growth as songwriters. Ghost Revelries sounded just OK to me in 2005, but when I revisited 5 or so years later I realised it's actually one of their best albums. They bored me again until recently with Sorceress. Really enjoyed it.

I have similar feelings, although I really liked Ghost Reveries from when it came out. After that they really hit a bit of a wall, whether that was to do with their stylistic preferences (which weren’t always best reflected in the material they were releasing) is hard to say. But they had far better exposure by that point, so those records tended to get far favourable critiques than what they probably deserved.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:20 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I have similar feelings, although I really liked Ghost Reveries from when it came out. After that they really hit a bit of a wall, whether that was to do with their stylistic preferences (which weren’t always best reflected in the material they were releasing) is hard to say. But they had far better exposure by that point, so those records tended to get far favourable critiques than what they probably deserved.

One thing I've realised over time is that if you are bored of a band's style, you aren't necessarily the best judge of their new or recent material. This is different from claiming that a new album is quite good but not as good as their debut or 2nd or 3rd album, or whenever you thought their peak was etc. It's just a general feeling of noninterest that's often hard to pinpoint.

N.P DREAM THEATER Distance Over Time

^^How this band have managed to grab my attention after losing it a few times is beyond me. Perhaps because I've noticed a pattern in the overall quality of their output. i.e it ebbs and flows, so I can never write them off completely.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Gamma Ray - heading for the East

Lust for Life is a cool song at least.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Easily my favourite Iced Earth offering.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:

One thing I've realised over time is that if you are bored of a band's style, you aren't necessarily the best judge of their new or recent material. This is different from claiming that a new album is quite good but not as good as their debut or 2nd or 3rd album, or whenever you thought their peak was etc. It's just a general feeling of noninterest that's often hard to pinpoint.

I can't say I was bored of Opeth's style by the time Watershed rolled around, I was actually quite the fan, even pre-ordering the expanded edition. I think in regards to that album, for many it was their first release-day purchase of an Opeth album, one that they had been anticipating after getting on the train with Ghost Reveries. Their deal with Roadrunner really helped their distribution, and no one hypes new releases quite to the degree that Roadrunner did at the time.

I think people really wanted to love it, much in the same way that their earlier albums affected us (for me it was Still Life, I assume Morningrise for you Statters? Blackwater Park was in a similar position but to a lesser degree, as I don't find it anywhere near as good as the two albums that preceded it). In a sense, it was somewhat overdue recognition that the band deserved, though not necessarily for Watershed (it feels like Scorcese winning the Oscar with The Departed when he has far more deserving films).

Even at the time of release, I thought the prog rock parts ('Burden' despite it's derivations, the first half of 'Hessian Peel' before it feels obligated to throw in some death metal) worked well and had much more care put into them then the hodge podge of 'Porcelain Heart' (which just feels like leftover parts, regardless of quality, thrown together - and that was the single?!). And it shows in retrospect as they went completely 'prog revival' on Heritage (which has a whole bunch of other faults, namely the lack of coherent arrangements and identity). 'Heir Apparent' works well as a doomy track, and the ideas in 'The Lotus Eater' I quite like.

Pale Communion was serviceable without being particularly noteworthy. Sorceress they seemed to finally find a niche for their current direction that utilised the tools at their disposal. If we're talking of bands that I became bored with, latter-day Enslaved would probably be a better option. It's perfectly serviceable, even great in places, but everything post-Vertebrae leaves me completely cold. I would definitely not be a good judge of those albums.

Now Playing:

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:55 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The more I listen to this, the more I dig it. It has a much dreamier vibe than their original incarnation. It floats rather than bruises, even during the heavier section.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I think people really wanted to love it, much in the same way that their earlier albums affected us (for me it was Still Life, I assume Morningrise for you Statters? Blackwater Park was in a similar position but to a lesser degree, as I don't find it anywhere near as good as the two albums that preceded it). In a sense, it was somewhat overdue recognition that the band deserved, though not necessarily for Watershed (it feels like Scorcese winning the Oscar with The Departed when he has far more deserving films)

Blackwater Park certainly sounded better, production wise, but I'm not sure if the songs were actually better. They started getting a lot more attention with that album though, especially from mags like Metal Hammer. I enjoyed Still Life in 1999, but I never went crazy over it like others did.

Morningrise was the first Opeth I bought and really listened to repeatedly, but I was familiar with Orchid and liked it a lot at the time.

I agree with you about the late praise, but that's kind of how I felt about all the love shown towards their 2003 releases and Ghost too. I know what you mean though. After Ghost they really became a pretty big and acclaimed band and Watershed was released at the peak of their popularity,

N.P DREAM THEATER Distance Over Time

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Ghost Reveries was the best demonstration of them using all the tools in their kit, and it has really held up over time.

Now Playing:

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I tried some Opeth albums over the years but don't remember much of those experiences. :lol:

NP: Anthem - Last Anthem

Production isn't the best, but the band sounds hungry on this live album. So much better than Loudness!

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I was very familiar with "Orchid" at the time of release as my younger brother picked it up & became obsessed with it. I always thought it was pretty decent but only started to give Opeth any real commitment when I picked up "Morningrise" on release. It was really solid but I don't think I ever truly "loved" an Opeth record until 2001's "Blackwater Park". "Deliverance" is actually my favourite & I also love "Watershed".

Now playing:

Armored Saint - "Delirious Nomad" (1985)

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Anthem - Absolute World

Not bad - this track in particular is pretty dope

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

/\ /\ /\ I actually quite enjoyed that track, Colin. }:D

I really wish Focus had more straight-ahead production like their demos.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:41 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Lizzy Borden - "Love You To Pieces" (1985)

Los Angeles heavy metal with power metal elements. Kinda sounds like Iron Maiden vs early Queensryche.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Frustrating band - when they're on, they're dead on though. This track fucking rips!

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:21 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Danzig III: How The Gods Kill

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Was:

Still my favourite Soundgarden release.

Is:

Decided to stick with another album that really inspired me growing up.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5936 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 297  Next