www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 348  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Most of the time I link stuff that I either haven't heard in quite a while and want to try again, or completely new stuff to me.

That Black Sabbath album is great. Not sure if it's a fair statement but to me it's a nice ''return to form'' from a stylistic perspective. It's far more effective than what Priest did with, say, Painkiller (again, not sure if it's a fair statement, but I think you could compare both albums given the context of its time, ect).

I've got the idea that this is one of those love-it-or-hate-it albums. I think it's a good record, but it does dwell a bit when it comes down to the slower passages. I'm tempted to say it's more effective because of its messed up atmosphere, but that's not exactly fair. 3.5/5 album to me.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Some of the most underrated power metal that I can think of. Melodic and slightly proggy - yet riff-y and tastefully played. Awesome vocals to boot here, too.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:34 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Best Japanese heavy metal band ever.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ Sampled some early Annihilator again lately; just not my kind of band. At least that stuff aint as bad as Set the World on Fire though! :lol:

NP:

The opening track is so damn good...the rest doesn't live up to it, sadly.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:53 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Their finest (and most hellish) hour.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

By no means a perfect album, but when it's on, it conveys a sense of hopeless despair like no other. I loved Vincent's tortured wails on this record, too. Such a shame they never tried to better themselves with this style and I can hardly think of any other bands that picked up where Anathema left off; the third Lacrimas Profundere album comes close, but it lacks that raw passion that's present on this record.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:09 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sepultura-esque thrash metal from 1991. More in the vein of Beneath the Remains (though produced far grittier) than Arise.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:45 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
^ Sampled some early Annihilator again lately; just not my kind of band. At least that stuff aint as bad as Set the World on Fire though! :lol:

I really like the first two Annihilator albums. There’s tight riffing, and very little fat. When I was younger, I absolutely loved Rust In Peace, and I always wanted more of that, and whilst some of the earlier Megadeth albums have some of it, it’s definitely to a lesser degree (although those albums are great in other ways). Annihilator filled that void, just maybe with more compact songwriting, and maybe a bit more flippant lyrically. The greatest mystery to me is how far Waters and Co. deviated from that over the intervening decades.

Colin040 wrote:

By no means a perfect album, but when it's on, it conveys a sense of hopeless despair like no other. I loved Vincent's tortured wails on this record, too. Such a shame they never tried to better themselves with this style and I can hardly think of any other bands that picked up where Anathema left off; the third Lacrimas Profundere album comes close, but it lacks that raw passion that's present on this record.

I always go back and forth on this album. I did come to it at a particular point in my life where I certainly related to the lyrical content and mood a lot more than I have since, so I was forgiving of Vinny’s vocal approach even though objectively it is a bit tuneless, if I can use that term. It is far from my favourite Anathema album, even for that time period (I’d definitely rate Pentecost III above it, and I could make a case to myself for Eternity as well). I am curious if they wrote this record with Darren’s vocal approach in mind and repurposed it, because from the follow-up they definitely move away from their original sound quite surely.

Now Playing:

Revisiting this, the apology letter for Lulu :D Although the production here is nothing to write home about, the fact it isn’t brickwalled like Death Magnetic makes it such a friendlier listen than its predecessor. It just a shame that the material (apart from maybe ‘Rebel of Babylon’) is as strong as anything from its the previous full length (granted I don’t know if these are fully polished or glorified demos).

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:47 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:

I always go back and forth on this album. I did come to it at a particular point in my life where I certainly related to the lyrical content and mood a lot more than I have since, so I was forgiving of Vinny’s vocal approach even though objectively it is a bit tuneless, if I can use that term. It is far from my favourite Anathema album, even for that time period (I’d definitely rate Pentecost III above it, and I could make a case to myself for Eternity as well). I am curious if they wrote this record with Darren’s vocal approach in mind and repurposed it, because from the follow-up they definitely move away from their original sound quite surely.

What strikes me as odd is how Vincent sounded quite worse on that live record A Vision of a Dying Embrace that came out two years later; it just makes me wonder if he had a bad day or if those vocals were too much to handle for him anyway.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:55 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

SomI pulled it off the shelf - I think I have listened to it in the last 6 months when I went back through most of their discography. I don’t think I’ve seen A Dying Embrace, so I can’t really comment on his vocal performance there. I don’t think there a lot of technique in his vocals, or at least it isn’t very evident, it’s more just going on raw emotion and feel, at least that’s how it sounds to me. Some of the spoken/whispered poetry stuff is a bit too much for me these days (some of that stuff was even present on Eternity as well). I much prefer his distorted voice here.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I've never gotten what the fuss over The Silent Enigma is about, I've always found it dull, uninspiring, repetitive and turgid. See also: MDB: Turn Loose The Swans.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:08 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ I don't like that album much either. It's well played and whatnot, but it just doesn't move me. It might sound like a cliché somewhat, but at least The Silent Enigma sounds like a raw and passionate effort, even though the record loses its focus from time to time.

To come back at the point I've made earlier, Vincent sounds rather hoarse here on this live version

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yeah, I see what you mean regarding his voice. Like I said, I don’t think there’s a lot of technique involved, and over the course of a tour that can really takes it’s toll.

The Silent Enigma starts and ends strong, the middle section is probably its weaker point.

Personally I love Turn Loose The Swans :cry:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Easily their worst for me, and that's uncluding the ten year stretch where they released a bunch of uninspired, identikit albums (which weren't bad as such, but were instantly forgettable), which only ended recently. I've never seen the appeal, it's just mush to my ears.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:14 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Yeah, I see what you mean regarding his voice. Like I said, I don’t think there’s a lot of technique involved, and over the course of a tour that can really takes it’s toll.

The Silent Enigma starts and ends strong, the middle section is probably its weaker point.

I think the problem with harsh vocals comes down to the fact that it's still a relatively new kind of way of using the voice. There's been teachers supporting this kind of stuff (Melissa Cross comes to mind), but even her method has been criticized by others.

Here's my review for The Silent Enigma if anyone cares: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 040/135223

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:49 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Out of interest, do you have a preferred album (or period) of MBD? [I tend to agree about the ‘by numbers’ approach that crept in from A Line of Deathless Kings for mine]

Now Playing:

Colin, I know you posted this above, and that’s the main inspiration for me reaching for this. This is an I,portent album for me personally, I have nothing but the highest regard for it, though I understand your criticism of it. I guess I just consider it a feature rather than a bug. :D

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:53 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:

I think the problem with harsh vocals comes down to the fact that it's still a relatively new kind of way of using the voice. There's been teachers supporting this kind of stuff (Melissa Cross comes to mind), but even her method has been criticized by others.

Here's my review for The Silent Enigma if anyone cares: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 040/135223

Yeah, it’d be interesting to look into more (extreme vocals) considering that, at least for extreme metal, that most of the forefathers of that style are coming up on maybe 30 years of doing, and how/if their voice/approach has changed, if at at all. I know the vocalist from a band I played in basically blew his voice out consistently (this was well before the days that the idea of a ‘correct technique’ was really thought about, at least to our knowledge).

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 348  Next