www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 369  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII

Their early stuff was so good. Definitely the quitessential Japanese heavy metal band.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

^^One of the most underrated rap albums of the late 90's. An incredible comeback by Rakim. Wish he kept developing this style/sound.

Yeah, it's solid album, maybe just a tad overlong (for hip hop, less is sometimes more, in my opinion). He just kinda disappeared for a while after that album though, and then has had, what, like one album in the last 20 years? I know that he's not exactly on the cutting edge (even at the time of The 18th Letter his style was dated - not that I'm complaining), but hasn't ever really done anything truly awful, and you figure that there would be somewhere on the legacy circuit for him to slot into. I guess it's a bit tough if you are simply an MC and not involved in the production side of things.

Now Playing:

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I know that he's not exactly on the cutting edge (even at the time of The 18th Letter his style was dated - not that I'm complaining)

Dated? How? He was rhyming differently in 97 than he was in 92. That was part of the problem. He switched his flow up, and a lot of fans didn't like it. I would not say songs like The 18th Letter and The Mystery of God were 'dated' in 1997. The way he stacks phrases and subtly modulates his flow roughly fits into the time period. Sure he wasn't 'cutting edge', more of an elder statesman, but dated is not a word I would use for that album. I wish he released it a year earlier though. He sat on it for too long. However, it probably sounds better now than it did then.

Big Daddy Kane was dated in 97, not Rakim, although BDK's album in 98 is kind of underrated. Rakim disappeared partially because he got fed up with the industry, especially after the Aftermath period didn't work out. The Master was quite good, if patchy, but The Seventh Seal was ordinary. He hasn't released new material in 11 years.

N.P Candlemass Nightfall.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:11 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's been a long time :? since I've listened to it, but I remember it sounding more like a typical '94 East coast boom bap album with Rakim's usual themes of lyrical prowess or 5% teachings, when in '98 everyone was Mafiosi or shiny suits. You are probably right about his flow, I'm thinking just more in terms of the aesthetics being dated (although I recollect they may have had the odd R&B chorus here), even with him trying to update and bringing in Primo and Pete Rock. I don't have an issue with it as it's right in my wheelhouse, just felt like him trying to modernise and even then he was a couple of years behind. That tended to be the reaction I got whenever I showed friends at the time as well.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:48 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
It's been a long time :? since I've listened to it, but I remember it sounding more like a typical '94 East coast boom bap album with Rakim's usual themes of lyrical prowess or 5% teachings, when in '98 everyone was Mafiosi or shiny suits.

Some of it does sound like, but other tracks do not.

The shiny suit era didn't really take off until a year later from memory.

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I don't have an issue with it as it's right in my wheelhouse, just felt like him trying to modernise and even then he was a couple of years behind. That tended to be the reaction I got whenever I showed friends at the time as well.

Your friends must have been real 'trendy' types then, because even a friend of mine who is in the rap scene (i.e. raps and produces) and tends to gravitate towards stuff that's new loved the singles from that album in 97. There is no way this sounds like typical 94 NY boom bap:

^^Guess Who's Back is boom bap, but it is not 94 style, especially not with that sample. While this one sounds like post-Wu:

Either way, yeah, it wasn't a rap album aimed at teenagers, so perhaps it's obvious why it didn't appeal to them, and at that time, even though Rakim was only 29/30, he may as well have been 50.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Chinese Whispers wrote:

Nice. I see Nowhere turned 30 the other day, more and more of these anniversaries these days, really makes me feel old.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

You can tell Masvidal and Reinert really had an impact on the band's sound. 4/5 album - definitely Death's best.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:

Nice. I see Nowhere turned 30 the other day, more and more of these anniversaries these days, really makes me feel old.

Cause we are old bro :D

Tonight's listening:

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Definitely the quitessential Japanese heavy metal band.

What about Sekima II? First time karaoke in Japan.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:10 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ Will have to revisit that band.

NP:

Best album title ever! :lol:

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
^ Will have to revisit that band.

I guess they are more hard rock than metal but they are listed on Encyclopedia Metallum. They were the first Japanese band I heard after Loudness. Listening to new BOC & Mork Grynning.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Speaking of Jap metal...

NP:

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Some of it does sound like, but other tracks do not.

Your friends must have been real 'trendy' types then, because even a friend of mine who is in the rap scene (i.e. raps and produces) and tends to gravitate towards stuff that's new loved the singles from that album in 97. There is no way this sounds like typical 94 NY boom bap:

^^Guess Who's Back is boom bap, but it is not 94 style, especially not with that sample. While this one sounds like post-Wu:

Either way, yeah, it wasn't a rap album aimed at teenagers, so perhaps it's obvious why it didn't appeal to them, and at that time, even though Rakim was only 29/30, he may as well have been 50.

Yeah man, listening back you are right (also, not going to lie, my friends who were into rap were definitely trendy :lol: I think that tends to be the nature of the genre, it's always seemed willing to move on, just part of the competitive nature, even though I know there are obviously a lot of people who like the older stuff, like myself, and just bitch about newer stuff and how it's not the same :lol: /only half jk).

My memory of it is obviously very poor :lol: It's probably more just the subject matter that made me feel that way, and Rakim placing himself as an elder-statemen of sorts (which he kinda was at that point, and deservedly so). I think I just tend to reach for Follow The Leader or Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em when I want some Rakim.

Now Playing:

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:11 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Great Japanese heavy metal - almost feels like a Japanese successor to Riot's Fire Down Under.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cool cover artwork

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Early Japanese power metal.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 369  Next