www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Metal festivals you regret attending
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Metal festivals you regret attending 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Metal festivals you regret attending
You find yourself amid a bunch of sweaty long haired guys and gals standing in the heat at a metal show, or find a band has cancelled and stuck you with a bunch of lesser acts and bands you dislike. What are some of your worst experiences at metal festivals/music festivals? Was it due to the promoter, bad weather, horrible bands, or did something happen at the fest that turned it sour for you?

Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 am
Profile YIM
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Metal festivals you regret attending
Don't get metal festivals in this part of the world. The only festival I ever went to was headlined by Silverchair, who were really, really shit, but almost every other band was excellent, including Rocket from the Crypt who played after Silverchair, and closed the festival.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat May 13, 2017 3:08 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I almost regretted going to Brownload last year because of the rivers of mud, but then I remembered Maiden.
So none.

Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sonisphere 2011. Went for the Big Four, who to be fair were great. Some other good bands that year as well. However, the whole vibe of the festival was really wrong. There was a distinct air of menace/unease all weekend, I was surprised that it never kicked off that much. Ended up leaving early on the Sunday as I wasn't bothered about the bands playing and the whole vibe of the arena and campsite felt so on edge. Really curiously crappy organisation too, the whole place seemed to have been over-sold ticket wise [adding to the unease] and it took ages to get in to the site, something like a 2 hour queue.

I say 'curiously crappy' because the Sonisphere 2010 festival was brilliant - one of the best festivals I've been to - better organised, better vibe, better bands. 2011 was a real letdown and my friends and I spent more time in Stevenage town centre than at the festival site, which should tell you something.

Download 2012 was like the Somme and apparently not well organised either, but the vibe was vastly better there than at Sonisphere the year before, even with all the mud.

Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I only went for Big 4 day at Sonisphere 2011 but didn't notice any bad vibes. There were a few more dickheads in the pit than usual but that was about it.

Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

A fair few people said the same thing, and that they didn't notice anything. I wonder if I'm just more sensitive and will pick up on things like that which others might not notice. I think the main problem was that it was directly after a really great Sonisphere the year before and the comparison was really noticeable, more so than might have been otherwise. Also we did have some issues, like people moving my friend's tent to make space for their own, which was really cuntish.

Even so, it's interesting that it remains the only festival where I've probably spent more time off the site than in the grounds watching bands.

Sun May 14, 2017 12:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've been thinking about it a little more and one thing that I remember is that it didn't seem as well organised as it had been in 2010. The stewards didn't seem to know anything and they got quite arsey with a few people.

That reminds me of Download 2007 too where none of the staff sermed to have a fucking clue about anything. They were all really polite but just equally as clueless.

Sun May 14, 2017 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
Don't get metal festivals in this part of the world. The only festival I ever went to was headlined by Silverchair, who were really, really shit, but almost every other band was excellent, including Rocket from the Crypt who played after Silverchair, and closed the festival.

Fucking Silverchair :lol: :lol:

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Not a Metal fest but I went to the last Zoofest in 2008 which was the predecessor to Hevyfest at Port Lympne Zoo, the first day went ok but the organizers ran out of money to pay the artists, bands dropped out and schedules were thrown into chaos (I saw British Sea Power get bottled for not being DJ Roni Size), I packed up my tent Sunday morning and went home early.

I went to Download with friends to see Black Sabbath one year and went the following two years by myself due to friends promising to go then backing out after I bought a ticket, the last year I did this was particularity miserable as the night before I left my Dad choose to tell me he was diagnosed with skin cancer. I spent Friday and Saturday trying to reassure myself he was alright but packed up halfway through Sunday and went home.

Hellfest 2010 was great for the music but the fucking overgrown children I had to share a filed with ruined it, that and the bus full of constantly shouting idiots going to and from the fest put me off camping festivals forever, I'm doing Obscene Extreme in July but I'm staying in a hotel.

Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

an abstract wrote:
Not a Metal fest but I went to the last Zoofest in 2008 which was the predecessor to Hevyfest at Port Lympne Zoo, the first day went ok but the organizers ran out of money to pay the artists, bands dropped out and schedules were thrown into chaos (I saw British Sea Power get bottled for not being DJ Roni Size), I packed up my tent Sunday morning and went home early.

I went to Download with friends to see Black Sabbath one year and went the following two years by myself due to friends promising to go then backing out after I bought a ticket, the last year I did this was particularity miserable as the night before I left my Dad choose to tell me he was diagnosed with skin cancer. I spent Friday and Saturday trying to reassure myself he was alright but packed up halfway through Sunday and went home.

Hellfest 2010 was great for the music but the fucking overgrown children I had to share a filed with ruined it, that and the bus full of constantly shouting idiots going to and from the fest put me off camping festivals forever, I'm doing Obscene Extreme in July but I'm staying in a hotel.

Best way to do OEF is in a hotel as the crusties rob all the shit out of your tent, which hotel you staying in?

Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I don't regret attending it, but I do feel very ashamed of the crowd behaviour at Donington 88. It was a tragedy that 2 kids lost their lives on what should have been a wonderful day for them.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Best way to do OEF is in a hotel as the crusties rob all the shit out of your tent, which hotel you staying in?

Davidek, I was a bit slow deciding on going so the hotels that are closer were all booked up by the time I got round to it.

Tue May 16, 2017 2:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I wouldn't say I regret it, but Donington MOR 1987.

I went to 1984 and that was fantastic (fuck Gary Moore) didn't go to the next two, but 87 had Metallica and Anthrax. It also had WASP of course, who were by now thoroughly off the boil having released albums two and three, neither of which are fit to wipe the debut album's shit-stained arsehole. To be fair, they did bring an almost completely naked woman on stage (and the wind helpfully blew her loincloth up for those of us in the front rows), but it was fucking hilarious watching them trying to break their guitars at the end and failing pathetically. Perhaps they forgot to saw the neck first?

Also of course, the gig was opened by Cinderella who weren't exactly brilliant, and even less so in the rain. After WASP came Anthrax and they were easily the best band of the day, albeit there was a crowd collapse during their set that foreshadowed the events of 1988 and was quite scary at the time (not as scary as 1984 though, when crowds coming down the side flowing into and out of the front area for Ozzy met and I was involved in a horrible crush. I think that is the most scared I've ever been in my life actually. Someone jumped on a transit parked next to a fence and started lifting people out and thankfully the fence collapsed in the end and we all ended up the other side of it!).

Metallica, by contrast, were a full bag of suck. Interestingly I've only seen them twice and they were shit both times (this and NEC 1988). That was a huge disappointment. Then the rain started and I remember standing a way back watching Dio in the pissing rain thinking 'I'm not really having fun anymore' - given I was 17 at the time... and knowing that there was still Bon Jovi to come was too depressing.

I did see the start of Bon Jovi, but it was awful so I went back to the bus and waited for it to end. Unfortunately the bus broke down so I didn't get home until 4am, which was annoying.

Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Mali wrote:
fuck Gary Moore

Why?

Mali wrote:
WASP of course, who were by now thoroughly off the boil having released albums two and three, neither of which are fit to wipe the debut album's shit-stained arsehole.

I'd agree about Inside The Electric Circus but The Last Command is excellent good, you deaf fucker.

Tue May 16, 2017 2:46 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Mali wrote:
fuck Gary Moore

Why?

I don't know, I never 'got' him and he was boring. And I had to sit through an hour of his nonsence waiting for Ozzy.

Solaris wrote:
Mali wrote:
WASP of course, who were by now thoroughly off the boil having released albums two and three, neither of which are fit to wipe the debut album's shit-stained arsehole.

I'd agree about Inside The Electric Circus but The Last Command is excellent good, you deaf fucker.

That must be why they only ever play two songs off it live... it is better than Electric Circus, but so is the Cycorax demo.

Tue May 16, 2017 2:57 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Electric Circus is ok. A bit toothless compared to it's predecessors obviously, but it has it's moments.

I think the loss of Piper was a bigger one than people might imagine, Blackie was obviously the main creative force from day one, but while solid as a rhythm player, brought nothing special purely in terms of guitar playing. Piper was far superior, and having him and Holmes together while Blackie held down the bottom end with simple bass lines was a big part of their unique sound, once that changed they became a different band in many ways, still some great tunes on Headless Children obviously, but it made them a tamer proposition. Granted there were advantages in some ways too, Johnny Rod was a much better bassist than Lawless which added something I guess, and perhaps Blackie felt he could stretch out more when it came to the Crimson Idol era, but none of it was enough to outweigh what was lost IMO.

It's like Danzig, you can be the one with all of the songwriting ideas, and you might still have something to offer, but you can't always replace musicians and still have the same quality and chemistry that made your work so appealing in the first place.

I'm sure both of them would say it was necessary to change and develop, but the results speak for themselves.

Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali wrote:
Metallica, by contrast, were a full bag of suck. Interestingly I've only seen them twice and they were shit both times (this and NEC 1988).

I was at the NEC show and they were fucking brilliant.
Danzig was ace too, even if he barely moved an inch.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mali wrote:
Metallica, by contrast, were a full bag of suck. Interestingly I've only seen them twice and they were shit both times (this and NEC 1988).

I was at the NEC show and they were fucking brilliant.
Danzig was ace too, even if he barely moved an inch.

Spiny, were you in the standing? I'm betting you were. If so you probably had a better experience than me. I got tickets late and was right at the back somewhere. As I recall Danzig went down like a sack of shit, everyone sat down after half a song...

Also, I never saw Metallica with Cliff and that era was the first disappointing 'Metallica' for me, after three albums of Godliness, so maybe not the best time for a first viewing. Perhaps, especially coming after seeing Slayer on the RIB tour, and Megadeth prior to the release of So Far So Good.

Wed May 17, 2017 9:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I was sat, but on the right hand side about a third of the way back from the stage so I got a good view. I loved Danzig, and there were more than a few heads banging, but overall, yeah, they didn't go down too well. funny really, as that show helped get me into them in a big way.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]