www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Danzig Black Laden Crown (official thread)...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Danzig Black Laden Crown (official thread)... 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Danzig Black Laden Crown (official thread)...
I wanted to create a thread a few days ago, but now that I've heard the album it seems more appropriate. Danzig has more than a few fans here, so I think it's justifiable.

Track listing:

"Black Laden Crown" – 5:59
"Eyes Ripping Fire" – 4:19
"Devil On Hwy 9" – 3:52
"Last Ride" – 4:59
"The Witching Hour" – 5:59
"But a Nightmare" – 5:04
"Skulls & Daisies" – 3:58
"Blackness Falls" – 5:47
"Pull the Sun" – 5:54

Personnel:

Glenn Danzig – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, drums
Tommy Victor – lead guitar, bass guitar
Joey Castillo – drums, percussion
Johnny Kelly – drums, percussion
Karl Rockfist – drums, percussion
Dirk Verbeuren – drums, percussion

Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Danzig Black Laden Crown (official thread)...
Ok, I've heard the album twice and here are my initial thoughts:

- the production quality varies. This probably has something to do with the fact that it was recorded over a period of 3 years, which, strangely enough, doesn't really impact too negatively on the overall cohesion of the album, but it can be distracting at times when Glenn's vocals are mixed too high. Some tracks need more 'oomph' like Devil on Highway 9.

- His a voice is up and down. It sounds great on some songs (Last Ride), but strained on others. This has been a common problem for Danzig since 1999 with the release of Satan's Child, and it became really noticeable on I Luciferi and Circle of Snakes, especially the latter. Personally I feel that many of his best songs were actually written during that period, but neither he or the band were able to put the right amount of flesh on those skeletons (no pun). Can you imagine how amazing a song like Rebel Spirits (from Deth Red....) would have been if it was recorded in 1995? There are quite a few songs like that.

- Doomy vibe. Again, this has been going on for a while now and has always been part of their sound, but this album feels even more doom laden. Spiny said that the whole album feels like Danzig is 'winding down', and I'd have to agree with that, although I've felt like that to varying degrees since 2004. This time it feels a little more 'permanent' though, like this could be his very last album of original material, at least in the rock/metal genre.

- Songwriting is good, but not especially memorable. Last Ride and Devil..... stand out, and so do one or two others, but he doesn't write overly catchy songs anymore.

- His band. I'm not as bothered by Victor as others seem to be. Yes he overdoes the pinch harmonics, but sometimes they are effective, and there isn't a single note or sound on this album or any other Danzig album he has played on that he didn't approve of.

Victor has made it clear in interviews that he is an employee of Danzig rather than a fully fledged creative contributor, but there is no getting around the fact that he doesn't always add the right kind of texture to the music. It's hard not to listen to a song like Last Ride and imagine how much better it would have sounded with John Christ. But again, that's a redundant observation at this point.

Overall it's a mixed bag but mixed positive. It might also be a grower too, as his last 3 albums have been. Danzig remains a singular artist in the world of metal, and even when he isn't firing on all cylinders I still find his work more interesting than most.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sat May 27, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 26, 2017 7:42 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Personally I'd like to see Danzig reinvent himself as a dark blues/country artist with better lyrics and I believe he should have made that transition either after Circle of Snakes or Deth Red at the absolute latest. His work in the metal genre is done and his voice is going to continue to deteriorate to the point where he just won't be able to perform these songs at all anymore.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 26, 2017 7:58 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'd love for Rubin to do with Danzig what he did with Jonny Cash.

Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

That would be great, but unfortunately they don't get along well anymore.

Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Have ordered the new album, first Danzig album I've bought in years.

Fri May 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Stat_Rad wrote:
Personally I'd like to see Danzig reinvent himself as a dark blues/country artist with better lyrics and I believe he should have made that transition either after Circle of Snakes or Deth Red at the absolute latest.

There are moments on all of his recent albums I really enjoy, and I imagine the same will be true for this new one, but for the most part, I think he should give the blues/country/crooner thing a shot.

Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I really can't be arsed to copy and paste everything over so here's a lazy link to my review.
It pretty much echoes everything Stat has said above tbf.

http://www.ghostcultmag.com/album-revie ... crown-afm/

Danzig as dark blues/country? Yeah, I'd dig that.
I'd prefer a full blown, worldwide Misfits reunion more though...

Sat May 27, 2017 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Well this is a nice coincidence.

Nothing set in stone, but...

Quote:
Glenn Danzig says that he is open to performing with the MISFITS again after completing a two-show reunion run last fall.

After years of bad blood, Glenn reunited with bassist Jerry Only and guitarist Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein for concerts at both incarnations of Riot Fest in Denver and Chicago. Prior to those gigs, the trio last performed together on October 29, 1983.

Speaking to Rolling Stone about how the Riot Fest shows went, Danzig said: "I'd done it with Doyle before, but it was ... interesting. [Laughs] I couldn't hear myself, so it was exactly like the old days. So it is what it is. But everyone seemed to have a great time. I think it exceeded expectations, which is always good, and the write-ups were just insane."

Asked if the door is now closed on the reunion or if he would consider playing more concerts with the MISFITS, Glenn said: "We'll see. I'm open to possibly doing some more shows. I don't want to tour, but if it happens and everything lines up properly, I would imagine there'd probably be a couple more shows. I don't know when, but I'll keep an open mind."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/glenn- ... ewGzHag.99

Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I was going to post a link to that interview last night, but for an entirely different reason: Danzig Sings Elvis has been delayed until next year.

Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

I dig it. Certainly exceeded my expectations and turned out to be pleasant surprise.

Sat May 27, 2017 2:46 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I've listened 3 times now and, after my initial impressions from the advance tracks, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It sounds ok - he should've got someone else obviously, but nonetheless it's not a terrible production job. (Can anyone else hear the song just drop out after the intro on "Witching hour" ?)

So far there doesn't seem to be any out-and-out Danzoclassics on it in terms of songs and it's not up to Deth Red Sabaoth. But there are no total stinkers either. I really like "Blackness Falls" and "But a Nightmare" and a couple of others. Good track lengths too.

Glenn does more or less fine with the singing. His changing voice is not a huge issue imo. Still distinctive and menacing. Some very silly lyrics mind. Tommy manages to sound pretty fresh considering he does the same tricks for virtually every song. Some of his solos are a bit widdley and uninspired sounding. Johnny Kelly's drumming - where I can hear it - fucking rules. He really suits the band too. Elsewhere some drumming is weak though - "Skulls and daisies" & "Last ride" for example.

I like it.

Sat May 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I was also trying to figure out the JK drum tracks - it's definitely him on Witching Hour.

Sat May 27, 2017 6:58 pm

On a side note....

The fuck ever happened to John Christ anyways....?

:|

Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 am

He is a guitar teacher now I think.

Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I heard he tried to reconnect with Danzig at some point and was unsuccessful.

Mon May 29, 2017 12:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]