www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Hair metal: is the term accurate or useful?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Hair metal: is the term accurate or useful? 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Hair metal: is the term accurate or useful?
Of course, the elephant in the room here is the use of the phrase "hair metal" as a derogatory term within a genre, and all its sub-genres, that is overwhelmingly dominated by blokes with long hair. It's a little absurd.

Last edited by doomrider on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This was the band that showed glam metal had jumped the shark

Fuck all of those bands - Guns N Roses included

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It's useful, even if it's derogatory towards the genre of music. When someone calls a band a "hair band" you know exactly what they're referring to, the tropes of the genre and perhaps some key hits in your head. Personally why anyone would give a shit is beyond me, if you like glam, just listen to it, but I doubt it would get a revival at all, it sounds dated and of its time even now and no amount of irony will bring it back because we don't have the excess, decadence and yuppie culture of the 80's anymore.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:56 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

markhebb wrote:
This was the band that showed glam metal had jumped the shark

Theyre still going. :?

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

TOTW wrote:
we don't have the excess, decadence and yuppie culture of the 80's anymore.

People in general are far more materialistic now than they were in the 80s. What separates the 80s from now is novelty, but yes things have obviously changed.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
TOTW wrote:
we don't have the excess, decadence and yuppie culture of the 80's anymore.

People in general are far more materialistic now than they were in the 80s. What separates the 80s from now is novelty, but yes things have obviously changed.

Oh of course, everything moves far too quick now to sustain a lot of genuine interest in anything outside of what's trending. I've actually started to find myself going towards non-fiction books and things as I try to curb my instant gratification addiction. Since I started though I've noticed I've been able to listen to longer form music again and not purely anything with a moshpart. It's nice.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

TOTW wrote:
It's useful, even if it's derogatory towards the genre of music. When someone calls a band a "hair band" you know exactly what they're referring to, the tropes of the genre and perhaps some key hits in your head.

True to a point.

But musically, there is a world of difference between a lot of bands who are now given the label - e.g. W.A.S.P. - and the sort of thing that popped up in the mid - late 80's, such as Poison, and they weren't even the worst offenders. So perhaps some people might dismiss bands they would actually enjoy based on the fact someone calls them glam or hair metal. I know people who were genuinely surprised at the WASP debut, or at seeing Twisted Sister headline festivals.

Plus you had bands who bought into the image and the production values of the day, but were coming from another place entirely as far as songwriting. For example, Enuff Z' Nuff, who were essentially a power-pop band. They looked like your average hair farmers, but the only real "glam" thing they had going on musically was a post Van Halen lead guitarist in Derek Frigo, who, to be fair, was better than most, or at least had far more memorable solos.

TOTW wrote:
Personally why anyone would give a shit is beyond me, if you like glam, just listen to it

Ultimately this though.

I see the earlier bands who are now called "hair bands" or at least their first few albums, as just heavy metal with a more theatrical appearance, and I always enjoyed the likes of Appetite For Destruction, LA Guns debut and even Cinderella's 'Night Songs' and 'Long Cold Winter' a lot. And of course, Hanoi Rocks were fucking ace.

Speaking of Cinderella - Now there is a band whose name and early image proved to be a millstone around their necks come 93/94. The quality of songwriting was above and beyond the other successful hair/pop metal bands, and a few power ballads aside they had more in common with early Aerosmith and AC/DC than shit like Pretty Boy Floyd, but they will forever be remembered as a hair band, and not only that, but a hair band with a fairy tale girls name.

Tom Keifer's solo album is one of the best bluesy hard rock records in decades, but even with decent reviews, he is hardly likely to overcome his past incarnation and appeal to the average Stones or AC/DC fan.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

I think there are two distinct categories of music at play here when the term hair metal is used.

A; Hair "metal" - key word being metal; influenced by 70's English and New York glam rock but considerably heavier - WASP, Twisted Sister, yes, even GNR, and early Motley Crue.

b, Hair "Rock" - the neutered version of the above - PBF, Poison, Slaughter, and hundreds of other copy cat faceless bands with no balls, literally and figuratively.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

C. Hair "the musical"

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ChrisLiebing wrote:
I think there are two distinct categories of music at play here when the term hair metal is used.

A; Hair "metal" - key word being metal; influenced by 70's English and New York glam rock but considerably heavier - WASP, Twisted Sister, yes, even GNR, and early Motley Crue.

b, Hair "Rock" - the neutered version of the above - PBF, Poison, Slaughter, and hundreds of other copy cat faceless bands with no balls, literally and figuratively.

I generally agree with that distinction. You can hear some Priest in early Crue too.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:25 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

I generally agree with that distinction. You can hear some Priest in early Crue too.

That first Motley Crue album is pretty fucking rough! Mick Mars was a bit underrated in that band, with the three other massive egos around him.

Some of those hair bands though, were just that. Try some of these on for size: Nelson, Trixter, Danger Danger, Europe, Firehouse, Hurricane, Roxus (for the Aussies), Tuff, Britney Fox, and there were a shitload of awful bands mentioned in The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:22 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

TOTW wrote:
but I doubt it would get a revival at all,

Steel Panther pretty much put paid to that. No one else could possibly try to revive glam without taking the piss.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Eddie Trunk hates Steel Panther too. I'm sure you're not surprised!

Here is an early Crue interview, before they really took off. They seemed almost humble.

^^They cite Deep Purple as an influence rather than Kiss.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Eddie Trunk hates Steel Panther too. I'm sure you're not surprised!

I love that Eddie Trunk has been championing metal for decades, and gets stuff out there which wouldn't get noticed otherwise, but he does have a stick up his arse about some things. He's stuck in the past, reliving old glories (not that the rest of us don't), and has no sense of humour. Hair metal/glam metal, whatever you want to call it, was patently ridiculous, and was prime material for taking the piss out of. He's had Spinal Tap on his TV program, and that was a piss take.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

He has no sense of humor that's true, but I wouldn't say that he is necessarily stuck in the past. Yes he likes to follow old bands, but he also wants to hear new music from them not just harp on about the greatness of old. His real limitation is that he is geared towards the more commercial end of the genre, which means he misses out on a lot of great stuff, but perhaps that just reflects his conservative taste

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:41 am

Trunk is often a humourless prick, and takes himself way too seriously, all that smug, self congratulatory "my good friend (name drop 80's metal musician here)" and his whole spat with Paul Stanley and Doc McGee. Also, for a guy who is supposedly a metal "expert", his knowledge is specific and limited.

That said, he does play and interview a lot of bands who are otherwise ignored, and he is spot on about Steel Panther.

Great musicians, particularly Russ Parrish, but their "humour" is fucking retarded and painfully unfunny, their songs are largely fucking gash, and frankly, I would have more respect for a band of young lads who were unashamedly celebrating that stuff, than late 40's/50 something year old men doing some "wink wink" half baked parody bullshit.

A parody band is only worthy of attention if they, y'know, display some actual wit.

"Hurrr, I fuck groupies and snort coke, and I know who CC Deville is" is not comedy gold.

If I wanted to hear a guitarist who wasted his talent on mediocre shite spout cringe-worthy bullshit, I'd watch a Zakk Wylde interview.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Paul Stanley came across like a bit of a dick during that 'feud', although his comment about That Metal Show was funny. He called it Wayne's World :lol:

As for Steel Panther, I've said it plenty of times on here: they would be more acceptable if they were a young band that started on YouTube and were put together by a bunch of guys that had no idea that hair metal was a completely redundant target for parody.

The founding members of Steel Panther are old enough to know better. They were teens in the 80s and therefore experienced that music firsthand.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 am

Stat_Rad wrote:
Paul Stanley came across like a bit of a dick during that 'feud', although his comment about That Metal Show was funny. He called it Wayne's World :lol:

As for Steel Panther, I've said it plenty of times on here: they would be more acceptable if they were a young band that started on YouTube and were put together by a bunch of gays that had no idea that hair metal was a completely redundant target for parody.

Gays? Or guys?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Heh. I was still editing it before I posted as usual. I laughed at that myself when I noticed. I'm using voice recognition software :D

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 am

Stat_Rad wrote:

True, but Trunks over inflated ego in regards to that stuff was absurd, when McGee canceled his appearance he acted as if he was some sort of "threat" to the band because of his views on Thayer playing the Spaceman character. He had no idea why McGee had cancelled, he could have been dealing with anything at the time, but he acted as if Stanley threw a hissy fit. Which isn't an impossibility I'll grant you, but the reaction was too much, and based on nothing but Trunk's self importance.

Stanley wasn't far wrong about That Metal Show either really. They had a handful of decent interviews, but they were very limited in scope.

The fact they refused to cover extreme metal and claimed it was because the show was centered on classic metal, but then they would have Corey Taylor and the young one from The Pretty Reckless on was fucking ridiculous.

Basicially it amounted to the fact that their knowledge of metal and rock generally, at least beyond the popular bands of their youth, or artists Trunk was involved with, seemed to extend to what was being pushed on MTV or in the general music media at any given time.

The whole "stump the Trunk" thing where he got to display his extensive knowledge of Kiss and fuck all else was one of the most absurd examples of ego stroking I've ever seen. There were very few questions that any of us on here couldn't answer, or your average metal fan who hasn't spent their lives living under a rock.

It was pure Wayne's World, because it was goofballs talking shite, rather than a proper music show giving exposure to metal, because VH1 were too fucking cheap to pay royalties, which is ridiculous for a supposed music channel.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next