www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 7741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388  Next
 Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread
Cuchulainn wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Virtual XI is a fucking waste of time. Sure, Maiden did duff albums before it (No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark), but VXI was a new level of shite.

Dance of Death also got the same reaction, but only for the artwork.

It was originally supposed to be a Dave Patchett painting. You can even see that in some of the little characters in the final art. Now, that would have been fucking brilliant. No idea why they went with that computer shite.

The band settled for less, which has basically been their M.O for at least 20 years.

Live it's a different story though. They still spend big there and fans get their money's worth.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've been reading up on the whole debacle and apparently they wanted him to go with the computer art rather than his usual stuff (not wanting it to look like a Cathedral album). He did a rough design and the band (Harris, probably) decided that t(he)y liked it and left it as it was. Patchett was understandably more than a bit pissed-off that he wasn't allowed create a proper finished design for it so asked for his name to not appear in the album credits.

Last edited by Cuchulainn on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^They also allowed Shirley's rough mix of AMOLAD to become the final version, which he found a little perplexing. That info actually came out a while after the album was released, but I always suspected that there was something 'wrong' with that recording from the moment I heard it.

Apparently Harris and Dickinson wanted the album to sound more 'live' and 'raw', but it sounds flat instead. Their actual live sound is far more powerful than that limp shit!

Harris probably thought the Blaze albums sounded good for the same reason.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

Harris probably thought the Blaze albums sounded good for the same reason.

And the fact that he 'produced' them...He's a fucking shit producer. The Real Live/Dead One(s) would have sounded a lot better if he hadn't a hand in them

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:09 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I mentioned the whole DOD artwork debacle before here I think. Such a missed opportunity. Patchett would have done a great job if he'd been allowed to.

Harris can certainly make odd decisions when mixing stuff. Donington Live 92 is a case in point. The video mix for that it fantastic, really crisp and clear, but the CD mix is abysmal - guitars and vocals buried beneath the rhythm section. Such a shame because the performance is one of the best Maiden ones ever and a remix job would produce a great live album.

Never understood the AMOLAD controversy though; to me the production on that sounds fine. But NPFTD and VXI have dreadful production jobs.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^No Prayer For The Dying has bad production? I haven't heard it in years, but Birch generally did good work with Maiden sound wise.

Didn't Maiden try to coax Birch out of retirement for Brave New World? That might have been good.

I don't know why he retired so young. He was only in his 40's.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

NPFTD was recorded in Harris's barn and it sounds pretty amateurish for a band of Maiden's stature. I know they were trying to go for a back-to-basics approach, but it doesn't work very well.

BNW doesn't have that great production either - it's OK but a bit muted. Nothing special. Birch producing it might have been an improvement TBH.

I suppose Birch could afford to retire early given the amount of legendary albums he's produced.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:12 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Yeah, he was fucking minted.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

AMOLAD sounded dreadful from the get-go. You'd hope that this new bunch of remasters would improve it - and, given that it was never mastered in the first place, it can only sound better.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
NPFTD was recorded in Harris's barn and it sounds pretty amateurish for a band of Maiden's stature. I know they were trying to go for a back-to-basics approach, but it doesn't work very well.

Yeah but Birch produced it. Maybe Harris' facilities are the problem? Not just his ears? Although his ears are obviously fucked too ;)

BNW doesn't have that great production either - it's OK but a bit muted. Nothing special. Birch producing it might have been an improvement TBH.

No balls and too much flab.

I suppose Birch could afford to retire early given the amount of legendary albums he's produced.

Yes, but Rick Rubin is worth a lot more and still works.

Perhaps Birch was just sick of it.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:27 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'm 100% that that's the case. He came out of retirement to produce Maiden in the first place, and by all accounts only kept going with them because he enjoyed working with them.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I would enjoy working in the Bahamas too.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:48 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/andy-la-rocque-says-music-for-king-diamonds-upcoming-album-is-getting-back-more-towards-bands-classical-style/

^^2 new albums are being written, but they won't be released simultaneously. No timeline has been provided though.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Looks like a new Tool album really is coming:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tools-new-album-is-being-mastered-by-bob-ludwig/

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:52 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

They're touring this summer, maybe it'll be out by then?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^I think Maynard said they were aiming for a mid year release.

If it's being mastered now, a June/July release isn't out of the question.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Reading back through my previous posts and I should probably add that NPFTD was recorded with the Rolling Stones mobile studio which was a pretty vintage piece of kit even back in 1990, which could explain why the album doesn't sound very good.

But I still think AMOLAD has pretty good production, it seems to work fairly well.

Although I wish Roy Z had produced a Maiden album or two; his work on Dickinson's solo stuff and Priest's AoR is fantastic.

Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Die Antwoord among these metally bands! 8-) exe^

Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Quite a lot of non metal bands there. 5, maybe 6 acts there I'd be bothered about seeing.

Fri May 17, 2019 1:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It is a pretty good lineup really.

There are at least 6-7 I'd really like to see, and a few others I'd definitely watch, but I wouldn't bother going because I saw most of those bands in their prime back in the 90's (e.g Smashing Pumpkins, Rob Zombie etc) or early 00's (Tool), or at the tail end of their prime/early dip period (e.g Slayer in 95).

Technically Slayer weren't in their prime when I saw them in 95, at least not based on their recording output, but they were still an excellent live band, and signs of age had yet to set in.

When I saw them on the God Hates Us All tour they were also very good, but I did notice a slight dip in quality.

Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 7741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388  Next