www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - When did Chantler start writing for Metal Hammer?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 When did Chantler start writing for Metal Hammer? 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: When did Chantler start writing for Metal Hammer?
Moses The Prophet wrote:
Chantler should be EDITOR of Classic Rock.

Well I'd need to do a course or something, but I can start a week Monday?

Wed May 04, 2011 12:06 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
Chris Chantler wrote:
... is being published in Classic Rock, but I like to think I'm too young and inexperienced at the moment.

You could do that easy.

I'll say this without a moment's pause, Chris Chantler > Malcolm Dome.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

If not only because Chantlers reviews make me check out bands I know I'll dislike but he's spinning his words like a snake charmer. The prick.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Moses The Prophet wrote:
Chantler should be EDITOR of Classic Rock.

Well I'd need to do a course or something, but I can start a week Monday?

No you'd just need to go to happening, trendy tourist "rock" bars a lot, blow smoke up people's arse who you know you can piss over in terms of ACTUAL ability, accept the fact they will appear too busy to actually talk to you. Finally, get to the stage of writing for a magazine, continue to blow even more smoke up EVERYONE's arse, until eventually the serving EDITOR finally drops the ball or dies and you can take the mantle. I tried doing this years ago, it didn't work.

Nepotism; the place is riddled with it.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in journalism say anything good about the industry.

Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

We don't need journalists now we have the interweb.

Wed May 04, 2011 12:42 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I would like to say though, for every 3 or 4 self-important toss-pots there is one diamond person who is modest, friendly and really helpful. And that goes for the industry as a whole whether it be press people, band members and journos.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
I would like to say though, for every 3 or 4 self-important toss-pots there is one diamond person who is modest, friendly and really helpful. .

Suspect this applies to every workplace! I can't be doing with hanging out in rock bars, I just need to write because I can't do anything else except drive a van.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:40 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Lugzan wrote:
I would like to say though, for every 3 or 4 self-important toss-pots there is one diamond person who is modest, friendly and really helpful. .

Suspect this applies to every workplace! I can't be doing with hanging out in rock bars, I just need to write because I can't do anything else except drive a van.

Did you know Catherine Yates writes about metal for a living... as in proper metal (iron, steel, tungsten that kinda thing).

Just thought that was quite funny. Always liked Catherine but she was never really what I'd call a "metal" lover... and now she writes about it full time...!

Wed May 04, 2011 1:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Lugzan wrote:

To be honest Chris, I've always assumed that you're one of "those" people who are good enough that don't need to hang around shit-piss rock clubs. The only reason I get reviews chucked my way - I'm sure - is because I appeared desperate and bugged enough.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed May 04, 2011 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Well that is very gracious of you (and of Tom - I've never been more touched and flattered by someone calling me a prick!), but I suspect my own lack of self-promotional zeal will be my undoing... It definitely helps to mingle and schmooze, and not even in a bad way, it just obviously helps to get to know the people you want to work for/with. I did a fair bit of London schmoozing in the early 00s, but came to realise how it can compromise your integrity - as in, if you get friendly with promoters and musicians and label bods, then the pressure is on to cut them some slack when they release something sub-standard. For example, I'm sure I gave some early Rage Of Achilles releases an easy ride because Duncan was such a lovely chap. Nowadays, stuck out in the sticks, I know none of these people, and therefore can be more demanding and objective about the music... Which isn't necessarily the way to get ahead in music journalism!

Wed May 04, 2011 2:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I tell you one thing Chris, apart from the fact I might get to read some more well rounded and informed pieces on the lesser known NWOBHM bands or doom metal, I'd love to see you cover newer metal bands (with old school influences natch) for Classic Rock, the kind of bands they cover and promote are generally appalling, a lot of second rate retro stuff, bad alt country bands, or "new G'N'R" shite. Even when they do cover decent bands they often get it spectacularly wrong when it comes to reviews, or it seems they haven't even listened to the album they are supposed to be reviewing.

Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Well that is very gracious of you (and of Tom - I've never been more touched and flattered by someone calling me a prick!), but I suspect my own lack of self-promotional zeal will be my undoing... It definitely helps to mingle and schmooze, and not even in a bad way, it just obviously helps to get to know the people you want to work for/with. I did a fair bit of London schmoozing in the early 00s, but came to realise how it can compromise your integrity - as in, if you get friendly with promoters and musicians and label bods, then the pressure is on to cut them some slack when they release something sub-standard. For example, I'm sure I gave some early Rage Of Achilles releases an easy ride because Duncan was such a lovely chap. Nowadays, stuck out in the sticks, I know none of these people, and therefore can be more demanding and objective about the music... Which isn't necessarily the way to get ahead in music journalism!

Couldn't have put it more perfectly...which is the usual fare when you post on here.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed May 04, 2011 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

not to blow smoke up your arse chris, but you are one of the most honest journos i have ever read the works of, and quite possibly the least pretentious.

Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

No way! Must try harder on the pretentiousness front then. I've never come across this "blow smoke up your arse" phrase before this thread, I like it, even though if someone really was blowing smoke up your arse it wouldn't be flattering or pleasurable, it would be disturbing and dangerous. But thank you all for your kindnesses... I am put through the wringer on this forum, I was being called a troll last week!

Wed May 04, 2011 5:17 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

you need to work on your thank you speeches though. you need to thank your mum. and god/satan. and not use words like 'wringer'.

i wonder if stevo knows what pretentious means. either that or you've toned it down over the last 10 years - it used to be a pre-requisite of writing for T to be a pretentious know-it-all with shit/weird music taste and a penchant for using the word 'gay' as a descriptor... (I remember me and Whalen getting a bollocking from Nick for using 'gay' as a descriptive word, until the next issue when he went and did it himself!)

Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

hahahah, yes i know what it means, but chris is nothing at all like say some one like *** *******(edited for legal reasons) whom every review is a self serving and ego pumping 'look at me i know about metal,if i dont like it anyone who does is clearly an idiot,i AM music' or twats who blatently get paid to give good reviews,or indeed use there position to attack and try and ruin peoples carreers. chris doesnt have a chip on his shoulder so to speak,his reviews are simply his opinion, take it or leave it,but even the negertive ones give you cause to check the bands out for yourself.
where as *** ******'s reviews are more akin to.LISTEN TO THIS,DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT,THIS BAND ARE SHIT AND NEED TO DIE.

plus chris genuinly makes me laugh and has a good style of writting.

horse is much the same jimmy hoare as well.

Wed May 04, 2011 5:57 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

True I haven't got a chip on my shoulder... it's the entire Walkers plantation!

Wed May 04, 2011 6:25 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

:lol: lets just say that said journo drove me to the point of wanting to remove his skull with his arrogance and genral knobiness.

there are not many decent people in the music biz, too many forget that at the end of the day they are still just a metal head like the rest of us, mr tovey,was dean and yourself have all played in decent bands as well as contribute to the scene in genral and i would happily have a pint with any of ya, regardless of how many records you sold or who you areb friends with ect ect. the world of metal is a better place with peeps like you lot, and a great example to the yoof of how to be.

any hoo, keep it up yo.
(end of 'arse kissing :lol: )

Wed May 04, 2011 6:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Well my arse is happier being kissed than having smoke blown up it. Actually it'd probably rather be left alone. But cheers again squire, at last someone agrees I am a good role model for young people! x

Wed May 04, 2011 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next