www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Norwegian ambassadors to be trained in black metal
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Norwegian ambassadors to be trained in black metal 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Norwegian ambassadors to be trained in black metal
Quote:
Ambassador, with this black metal you are really spoiling us

BRIAN BOYD

WHEN YOU think of Norway you think fjords, Ibsen . . . and that’s about it. But the enterprising country has just discovered a new tourist magnet, and it couldn’t be further removed from geographical beauty and literature.

TNBM, or True Norwegian Black Metal, is a local musical delicacy that comes complete with ultra-fast heavy-metal guitar playing, banshee-style vocal stylings and blast-beat drumming.

Norway is the world’s leader in black metal, and its foreign ministry has begun training diplomats in the ins and outs of the heavy-metal subgenre. This is, they say, in response to the questions they get at their foreign embassies about the death-metal scene in Norway, but more likely it’s just a tourist marketing drive: “Come to Norway – the home of death metal!”

Kjersti Sommerset, head of the Norwegian foreign ministry’s centre of excellence, says: “We now have 106 foreign-service missions, and they get many enquiries from people who want information about Norwegian black metal as a phenomenon. In the training programme, we give the trainees a good understanding of Norwegian culture and the cultural industry. Black metal is clearly a part of this.”

The ministry is taking all of this very seriously, and it brought in the leading black-metal author, Havard Rem, to lecture diplomats about the history and cultural significance of death metal. The genre has always been controversial as it has an avowedly anti-Christian stance, and there were incidents in the 1990s of members of black-metal bands being charged with burning down churches.

Norwegian diplomats seem to be relishing the chance to highlight something contemporary about their country instead of banging on about fjords all the time. Silje Bryne, who works for the Norwegian mission in Paris, says: “I see the value in not just talking about Ibsen and fjords when one talks about Norway, but also about the export product that is black metal. Having such a strong brand means that we stand out among the Nordic countries and this is worth its weight in gold. It’s black gold.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 16490.html

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Norwegian ambassadors to be trained in black metal
Terrible article filled with lazy hack journalism.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Huh? It's an interesting turn of events I think. They're recognising this culture at a governmental level and seeing it as a brand, which it is of course. What's lazy and hack-ish about it?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The writing of the article, rather than the story - lazy bag of cliches for describing the music, interchangable use of "Black Metal" and "Death Metal". I know, expecting a mainstream journalist to spend a weekend with De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas to research a single-column article is a bit much, but that kind of thing just tires me. Metal fan in Taking It Too Seriously shocker.

Interesting story, though hardly a shock, really. It seems to have been creeping up on us for a while.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I chuckled a bit thinking they're not in the slightest bit irked or troubled by bm and just see it a s a chance to make $$$$ for the country. :D

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

To be fair, it's taken pretty much two decades to reach this point. During Varg's trial you'd never have believed that would happen.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:26 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
interchangable use of "Black Metal" and "Death Metal".

I know, but let's get some perspective here - in the real world, they are the same thing. How would you describe the difference to someone who'd never heard either before? The difference is academic really isn't it.

Quite unbelievable that they're really telling ambassadors about this shit. Is there really that much money in it? Do that many people care?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:18 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Of course when ocean life is "at high risk of entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history" they've got to fall fall back on exporting something that isn't Herring.
Or fossil fuels.

Well that's bleak. When the hydrocarbons and herring have been extinguished, black metal still remains. Black metal and awful knitted sweaters.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Richie H-R wrote:
interchangable use of "Black Metal" and "Death Metal".

I know, but let's get some perspective here - in the real world, they are the same thing. How would you describe the difference to someone who'd never heard either before? The difference is academic really isn't it.

I hope Morf sends you counterfeit money for that Shat album.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Context, RHR. If someone on here got the two mixed up I'd join you in telling him off, but in the real world, there isn't really a huge difference between death metal and black metal is there? If someone asks me to tell them the difference the best I can usually do is "black metal tends to be more about atmosphere than DM, and tends to have more tremelo riffs." It's hardly like the difference between grind and doom, even, is it?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It would be easier to say "For the most part, black metal is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYARGH, whereas death metal is more WOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRGHHH."

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

A friend who doesn't like Metal asked me the same question recently, there's a bit more to it than that. BM originally more tinny, had deliberatley bad production*, had lyrics concerning folklore, history and landscape, had more of a "spacious" feel, employed orchestral and folk elements very quickly into the genre. DM is bassier, the riffs are more percussive, the vocals are much deeper, lyrics tend tobe vilent or morbid, generally speaking tracks are shorter than BM ones. There's also the fact that BM* was a reaction to DM, not to mention the differences in image/presentation.

OK that goes more for the earlier incarnations of both and the two genres grew closer years ago and both havemade simialr innovations, although BM far more so. I did say also say "really, there's not much in it".

* Fuck you Was, only "Second" Wave BM is real.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Hmm, while I agree that the hack's mixing up of Death and Black Metal is shocking, it's not as shocking to me as those cunts who can't tell the difference between Crossover and Thrash. They have about as much in common.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yeah but Crossover isn't used anymore as a term where as Black and Death is.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Not much happening in the Norwegian fine arts scene then? ;)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

When half the Norweigian Emmys go to BM/metal acts it's a sign it's big business for them.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Either way, (Norweigian) Benjamins rule the roost.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

M0))) wrote:
Or how utterly shite the rest of Norwegian music is .. ..

It's not though! Norway has an incredible scene for folk music, a lot of African and Asian musicians have relocated there for some reason, loads of jazz and experimental stuff goes on there. They must have pop music too.

It is still weird how metal is apparently big bucks there too. Same for Finland I guess, though far fewer people live there.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
It would be easier to say "For the most part, black metal is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYARGH, whereas death metal is more WOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRGHHH."

This is very accurate. I wish I could make concise statements like this instead of rambling on senselessly.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
It's not though! Norway has an incredible scene for folk music, a lot of African and Asian musicians have relocated there for some reason, loads of jazz and experimental stuff goes on there. They must have pop music too.

it may be strong on a local level, but how much of it is actually world class? any idea?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]