www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favourite News Story
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 139  Next
 Favourite News Story 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Favourite News Story
Sounds harsh. I just got lazy, my own fault. I can't even imagine studying again now, though I'm going to have to do something in that regard, and soon.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
robitusson wrote:
:lol: That's often used as a slur. It is pretty cutting though, gotta admit that. Even within Ireland there's huge parochialism and people from Dublin are "West Brits" and Irish speakers in the West turn their nose up at the non-Irish speaking rest of the country. We hate ourselves even!

My friends who are Dubs call posh Dubs or Protestants "West Brits".

Sure you cant trust them or them castle catholics and shoneens! :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:38 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Sounds harsh. I just got lazy, my own fault. I can't even imagine studying again now, though I'm going to have to do something in that regard, and soon.

I'm lazy anyway, so all that didn't help! I've done some third level stuff for jobs I was in and I enjoyed it, it was nice to be treated with a bit of respect and learning what you need under your own steam, I will go back eventually, but between my old mans health, moving house etc I just couldn't the last two years.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

wretched_metal wrote:
I've done some third level stuff for jobs I was in and I enjoyed it, it was nice to be treated with a bit of respect and learning what you need under your own steam, I will go back eventually, but between my old mans health, moving house etc I just couldn't the last two years.

Similar story here. Once we're finished fixing up the house I'm going to look into it. Work's dried up here so I have to do something with my time. Getting old, too.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:19 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Jungle Woman Returns to Wilderness Amid Continued Controversy

On January 13, 2007, Rochom P’ngieng, 29, emerged from the Cambodian wilderness completely naked and incapable of uttering a single word. In late May 2010 she then fled back into the jungle. So who is this mysterious jungle woman and from where did she come?

The Kingdom of Cambodia lies in Southeast Asia, cramped between Thailand to the west and Vietnam to the East. Within its confines are countless jungles that house ancient temples and villages long abandoned, save for the occasional band of hungry macaque monkeys hunting for grub.

Among these monkeys was Rochom, a “half animal girl” who in January 2007 stumbled into a Cambodian village in Rattanakiri province naked and hunched over like a macaque. Her conspicuous activities, like scavenging for food like a lost puppy, soon caught the attention of local villagers like Sal Lou, a local police officer who came forward to claim her as his daughter after identifying a scar on her face.

Two years later Rochom popped back up in the news when the Telegraph presented a piece concerning her inability to adapt to civilized life. Despite living two years with her parents, she had been unable to learn how to either speak or wear clothes. Her father Sal said, “Her condition looks worse than the time we brought her from the jungle. She always wants to take off her clothes and crawl back to the jungle.” She later stopped eating for a month, prompting her father to admit her to the Rattanakiri provincial hospital for four days.

According to the Agence France-Press, Rochom once again went missing in late May 2010 while bathing in a well behind her father’s home. Most likely she has returned back to the jungle. “There is no sign indicating that her disappearance could be foul play. I am sure she went back to the forest,” said her father.

Added to that, Sal told the Associated Press that Rochom “tried several times before to leave home,” but was unsuccessful up until now.

The only question that remains is why did she flee. As is evidenced by photos her of her, Rochom doesn’t appear all too happy. This could however merely be due to her inability to adjust. Or could it be more?

Sal claims that Rochom went missing in 1988 while herding water buffalo near the border to Vietnam. However, reporter Jonathan Watts from the Guardian noted that she bore scars on her left wrist and ankle that may have resulted from being held in captivity. His impression was that she was a “girl brought up in captivity, who somehow escaped, and then found her way to a father who desperately wanted to recover something he had loved and lost.”

Either way, it doesn’t help her father’s case that he refused to allow her to be DNA tested.

The video below goes into more detail regarding Rochom’s 2007 return to society.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Solaris wrote:
wretched_metal wrote:
I've done some third level stuff for jobs I was in and I enjoyed it, it was nice to be treated with a bit of respect and learning what you need under your own steam, I will go back eventually, but between my old mans health, moving house etc I just couldn't the last two years.

Similar story here. Once we're finished fixing up the house I'm going to look into it. Work's dried up here so I have to do something with my time. Getting old, too.

Irish class in school meant Brit-bashing, nationalist indoctrination, plain and simple. ...and no, that's not hyperbole. Never was a language so abused for a political agenda as the Irish language. Thankfully, now, they're starting to teach it as a communicative language through the four skills, instead of a vehicle for "look what they did to poor us, but our noble forebears resisted the tyranny with pride and dignity, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam, load of fucking nationalistic SHITE".

My father's gone back to learn it for the last 10 years. It's hugely refreshing to hear the new way they're approaching teaching it. He's worked his way steadily through the grades to upper-intermediate level now, without a trace of a mention of the fucking potato famine or fucking 1916 or any of that crap!

....sorry, got a little het up there.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Solaris wrote:
wretched_metal wrote:

Irish class in school meant Brit-bashing, nationalist indoctrination, plain and simple. ...and no, that's not hyperbole. Never was a language so abused for a political agenda as the Irish language. Thankfully, now, they're starting to teach it as a communicative language through the four skills, instead of a vehicle for "look what they did to poor us, but our noble forebears resisted the tyranny with pride and dignity, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam, load of fucking nationalistic SHITE".

My father's gone back to learn it for the last 10 years. It's hugely refreshing to hear the new way they're approaching teaching it. He's worked his way steadily through the grades to upper-intermediate level now, without a trace of a mention of the fucking potato famine or fucking 1916 or any of that crap!

....sorry, got a little het up there.

It wasn't about Brit bashing with most of my teachers I must say, they were just useless horrible bastards who filled you with loathing for your own language, gave you no understanding of it, and treated you like a piece of shit when you fell behind or didn't understand. I loved it in primary school, but by the time I did the junior cert I just couldn't learn. The only real Brit bashing teacher we had was a geography and history teacher, who was the most unbearable human being on earth. Mentioning anything British, tv, music, comedy, literature, and especially sport was cause for a bollocking. Especially soccer and rugby - "foreign games lads, forget about them, you wont ever play them while I'm teaching here"

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

wretched_metal wrote:
and especially sport was cause for a bollocking. Especially soccer and rugby - "foreign games lads, forget about them, you wont ever play them while I'm teaching here"

Fuck, remember The Ban? Ridiculous shit. Irish class gave I gained a very strong distaste for nationalism which I don't regret, but an indifference for the language also (and ignorance of it as well) which I do regret.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
wretched_metal wrote:
and especially sport was cause for a bollocking. Especially soccer and rugby - "foreign games lads, forget about them, you wont ever play them while I'm teaching here"

Fuck, remember The Ban? Ridiculous shit. Irish class gave I gained a very strong distaste for nationalism which I don't regret, but an indifference for the language also (and ignorance of it as well) which I do regret.

The ban was beyond ridiculous.

Nationalism in itself, as in the proper definition, from my point of view, of seeking to achieve self-determination, is not what they thought. They thought small mindedness, hatred and mistrust of "The Brits" and that if you weren't properly Irish or patriotic if you didn't embrace certain aspects of your culture simply because they said you should. That sort of attitude ruined learning Irish, listening to even good folk music, and playing Gaelic games (which I enjoyed playing for fun as a kid) for me.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:29 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Woah...did that mean you lot had to do Hurling in PE?
In which case I'd have to respect you as much as someone who's fought in war.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yakvlt wrote:
Woah...did that mean you lot had to do Hurling in PE?
In which case I'd have to respect you as much as someone who's fought in war.

Yes, I did anyway, it was like that in the Christian Brothers and the primary school I went to, I'm not sure about people who went to vocational schools etc.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:41 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

We didn't have to play hurling, we had a choice between that, Gealic football, soccer, rugby or cross country running in secondary school. In primary school they alternated between Gaelic football, hurling, basketball and running about for a bit, you did whatever they decided at the time. I was a decent little hurler in my youth.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
We didn't have to play hurling, we had a choice between that, Gealic football, soccer, rugby or cross country running in secondary school. In primary school they alternated between Gaelic football, hurling, basketball and running about for a bit, you did whatever they decided at the time. I was a decent little hurler in my youth.

Loved hurling, but I was terrible at it.

We got basketball and, em, table tennis later on for a while before I left, but I didn't like either of them, I stuck with Gaelic football for a while as I was fairly ok at it, before I started mitching to drink cider and shift young ones. Not sure if they kept the same PE setup after I left, they built a gym. We had no gym, no cafeteria, no heating, and no lockers. They have it all now the little cunts, and some of them have a half day on Thursday for some reason.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I could never get the hang of soloing in football, never took to the game as a result. Of course now it's as bad as soccer with all the diving and primadonna behaviour. I gave up watching it altogether, I've lost interest in hurling lately, too.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Being a proper south Dublin school, we did rugby. I was ok at it before I had to get specs. Gaelic games were looked down upon in Dublin. Boggers, Muckers, etc. played them. With the way the language and "true" Irish culture was rammed down our throats by teachers west of the Shannon, it was no wonder Dublin ended up resenting rural Ireland. Coming from Wicklow and going to school in Dublin meant I had the worst of both worlds, a bogger in school, a jackeen outside the Pale.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Rugby was the sport at my school (Garbally) and it was generally played by the wanker contingent. The sad thing is, I would have played if I wasn't so blind (this was before I got contacts). Tried it a few times and enjoyed it but without my glasses I was a complete liability.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It is for the wanker contingent (sorry m0))))rF), most definitely. It brought out the worst in my classmates as far as I could tell. Lowest common denominator mentality abounded. Individual sports were always much more interesting to me.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Too many Maurices, Clives and Simons - the Heino/Indo brigade. That said, it's the only field game I'll watch but I donn't really follow it. I'll set out to watch Connacht, Six Nations and World Cup games, anything else I'll watch as it comes along but I'm not a fanatic about it.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I like the fact that rugby and football are horrible foreign games, but basketball was considered just as good as hurling!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not really. We only played basketball when it was raining, there was an indoor court next door. We used to play indoor soccer there, too. Rare occasions.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 139  Next