www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Today is St George's day!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Today is St George's day! 
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Post Re: Today is St George's day!
It's also Shakespeare's birthday. They should combine the two into a piss up/theatre festival, which might turn it into a significant cultural event again while excluding a lot of those who hate brown people and use the phrase 'Broken Britain' every second sentence.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:22 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Benj wrote:
It's also Shakespeare's birthday. They should combine the two into a piss up/theatre festival, which might turn it into a significant cultural event again while excluding a lot of those who hate brown people and use the phrase 'Broken Britain' every second sentence.

Excellent idea.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:26 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Here's an interesting thing. I just went across the road to the 'shop' on our industrial estate. They have a Scottish parking attendant (this is in Corby, which has a large Scottish contingent). Outside the shop was parked an MPV with those flags that you trap in the doors. English flags. St George flags. As I came out the shop this parking attendant caught my eye and pointed to the flags, rolled his eyes and said to me 'should be BNP flags'.

What do you think he meant by that?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Anyone?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:17 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Pass.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Saint Vitus is better.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Now we are ignoring this thread and hoping it will go away aren't we?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:40 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I feel more 'a citizen of the UK' than I do 'English', but maybe that's because I've lived abroad and had to explain the difference between England, Britain and the UK plenty of times. I'm not ashamed of living in England, but I'm also proud to live in a country that also includes Scotland, Wales and Norn Ireland, as well as plenty of people with origins in other countries. Multiculturalism is one of the best things about this country I think, and I guess that's why I'd say I'm from the United Kingdom.

However, I mentioned this to Welsh and Scottish people my age, who I met living in France, and they told me there were definitely Welsh or Scottish, not British. How would you describe yourself Myrddyn, just out of interest?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Wolf Bender wrote:
I feel more 'a citizen of the UK' than I do 'English', but maybe that's because I've lived abroad and had to explain the difference between England, Britain and the UK plenty of times. I'm not ashamed of living in England, but I'm also proud to live in a country that also includes Scotland, Wales and Norn Ireland, as well as plenty of people with origins in other countries. Multiculturalism is one of the best things about this country I think, and I guess that's why I'd say I'm from the United Kingdom.

However, I mentioned this to Welsh and Scottish people my age, who I met living in France, and they told me there were definitely Welsh or Scottish, not British. How would you describe yourself Myrddyn, just out of interest?

I'm guessing 'Welsh'.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wolf Bender wrote:

Welsh first, British/UK citizen second, European citizen a close third.

I don't even like the terms Welsh or Wales as they derive respectively from Waelisc and Wēalas, Anglo-Saxon words calling us foreigners in our own lands where we were living before they came along. Strictly speaking I think of myself as a Cymro (Welshman) from Cymru (Wales), I don't introduce myself to people in these terms as I would then have to explain what they meant. It's bad enough explaining how to pronounce my name and that despite the fact I don't have a Welsh accent, yes, I am Welsh.

Pretty much all of my friends are English left-wing, Guardian reader types who describe themselves as British not English, although it's interesting how they will use Britain/England and British/English interchangably from time to time. It shows how much "Englishness" occupies the neutral space, much like Whiteness. This is why we Celtic Niggers get so tetchy and defensive.

If I were the same sort of person but English, I'd describe myself as British not English. It does seem to be that broadly speaking if you're liberal you're British, if you're conservative you're English.

Sorry for going on Ed.

Glad you put it in inverted commas Mali.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Interesting.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I don't remember any stage of my life where St George's Day was ever widely celebrated. No idea why, but it's just never really caught on with my family or anyone I've ever known. This was the case before phrases such as "political correctness gone mad" and "Broken Britain" existed within the English lexicon, so all this chest-thumping about how we're suddenly not allowed to display our England flags is just ridiculous IMO. The reason the flag is now associated with the BNP, EDL, UKIP and all the other evil acronyms is that they are the only people who display a die-hard American-esque allegiance to it, which is a shame for the majority of people who want to put it up on St. George's Day to show that they quite like it here.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Cornish celebrate St Pirans day more than the Welsh or the Scots celebrate their patron saints days.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Hmm, it is interesting isn't it. Personally when I see an English flag my first thought isn't usually 'BNP', it's 'football fan'. I've never really wanted to display a flag myself, but I just think that people should be able to without fear of being belittled for it. I think my attitude probably comes from the fact that I've worked in Corby all my life and there are a lot of Scottish people there and I've seen all the car stickers like 'Keep Scotland Tidy, Drop Your Litter in England' and stuff like that. Which is actually quite funny on one level, but at the same time not really acceptable if you can't take as good as you give (if you know what I mean). Of course it doesn't help that the whole thing is such a bloody cock-up, what with the United Kingdom, the British Isles etc... all meaning different things, not to mention that the Scottish have their own Parliment but are still represented in the British Parliment. All this for a country smaller than Texas!

I guess Steve's right about the flag being associated with the BNP and all that, which is a shame. It just seems a bit odd that we in England are kind of expected to be 'inclusive', whereas no one bats an eyelid when someone describes themselves as Scottish or Welsh.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

St Georges flag is atrocious. Many other countries have better designed flags. I like our original White dragon (which is flipped opposite to be facing the welsh red dragon) flag which is infinitely cooler.

I describe myself as European first, British Second and English last. I don't care for St George's day, or any other Patron saint worship other than if you want to go ahead and celebrate it, feel free but don't be a dick in the process.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIBUMAN wrote:
not to mention that the Scottish have their own Parliment but are still represented in the British Parliment.

The Scots and Taffs often dominate the Tories and Labour too. :lol:

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Morf wrote:
ITT - Mali gets it wrong. Again.

Well, yes, probably.
I'm not terribly up on politics or history.
If I'm honest.
But I'm not a default Tory or a Daily Mail reader either.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:24 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

No one thinks you are, bro. You seem to be (if you'll forgive me being patronising) an older person who hasn't got his finger dead on the pulse, and so is now never sure whether people think you're racist or not, and so presume that "it's political correctness gone mad" because you presume there's certain things you can't say any more.

I'm not explaining very well, but hopefully you see what I mean. The majority of people who say "you can't even do [x] any more!" aren't racists, they're just a bit confused.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I remember seeing something in Viz comic, like an mock TV scheldule... it included 'CBiddies' and the description was 'bed wetting and casual racism'.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Hmm, it is interesting isn't it. Personally when I see an English flag my first thought isn't usually 'BNP', it's 'football fan'. I've never really wanted to display a flag myself, but I just think that people should be able to without fear of being belittled for it. I think my attitude probably comes from the fact that I've worked in Corby all my life and there are a lot of Scottish people there and I've seen all the car stickers like 'Keep Scotland Tidy, Drop Your Litter in England' and stuff like that. Which is actually quite funny on one level, but at the same time not really acceptable if you can't take as good as you give (if you know what I mean).

I don't automatically associate the English flag with the BNP, like you I associate it with football fans; and I associate them with foul mouthed, cuntish behaviour. Obviously most football fans are not like that. As to those bumper stickers, driving around England with them is more than a bit off. You get similar merchandise in Wales, Ts that say things like "I support two teams, Wales and whoever's playing England" and worse, that sort of thing is not common, but is about. The reasons for it's existence is the fact that the British media national media is mostly if not entirely based in England and is completely Anglo-centric. Welsh people for example are seldom represented and a large number of the occasions when we are, we are stupid, fat, ugly, provincial, poor, backwards etc. You can be openly offensive and derragatory to the Scots and Welsh in a way you simply cannot to ethnic minorities anymore, people have just found new ways to express to same cuntishness. These cottage industries in mildly racist tat are a way of having our own back.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
I guess Steve's right about the flag being associated with the BNP and all that, which is a shame. It just seems a bit odd that we in England are kind of expected to be 'inclusive', whereas no one bats an eyelid when someone describes themselves as Scottish or Welsh.

I think you're right about the English having a burden of inclusivity in a way the Welsh and Scots are not. This is because you are by for the most populous, wealthy and powerful and UK is utterly dominated by England.

I don't think you are racist or a Mail Reader Mali, you just enjoy whinging and feeling hard done by.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next