www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Album You Downloaded III
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 271  Next
 Last Album You Downloaded III 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Last Album You Downloaded III
Christ on a bike :lol:

Listening to it now, it's pretty decent. Definitely not a bad record, but no where near the hyperbole in that review.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Golden Fang wrote:
Here's a link to a scan that the band are not ashamed to have on their website:

http://www.mithras.org.uk/images/scans/ ... 202003.jpg

:lol: Fucking hell. I'd heard about this but had never actually read the review before. I'm tempted to listen just to see how off the mark it is.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Annihislater wrote:
...ok. Well that bodes well...

I can't help but feel I'm missing an in-joke here.

Infamously insane Tez review of it back in the day, where it got full marks and was declared as the best album in any genre ever, which redefined music and gave everyone who listened to it superpowers. It was later revealed that the editor was in a relationship with one of the guys in the band, and had maybe influenced it a little.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:40 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Can't find the full thing, but here are some excerpts:

"Worlds Beyond the Veil"

Rating: [10/10]

There is an old adage that goes: the best things come to those who wait. As a narrative to the climate of UK death metal internationally, it's a perfect way to describe the last decade at least. Yeah, sure we have produced bands like Benediction and Bolt Thrower and of course, Desecration.

Now the UK is producing acts that seriously threaten the Yanks' and Swedes' domination. Bands such as Akercocke with their blackened death; Gorerotted, yeah okay, they're more goregrind; the superb technically progressive darkness of Detrimentum and many others now clawing their way up.

Then there is Mithras.

With their second album, they have just delivered probably the best release of any artist in the UK, of any genre of music - ever.

With 'Worlds Beyond the Veil', Mithras have conquered not just death metal's throne but all of metal's as well.

Bold words? I suspect there will be some shaking heads in disapproval, but witness it's sheer power, gargantuan scale, and the mind-melting sounds and you'll be scraping yourself up off the floor afterwards in shocked awe and you will testify.

If the basis of music is to move, connect and emote the listener, then "Worlds..." does exactly that. And then some. This album is emotional depth charge of sheer concussion, literally draining you as slab after slab of sound crashes in on you with such compositional daring and flare rarely seen in the genre. The rush starts fomr the feet and consumes you in searing waves of adrenalin charged electricity leaving you covered with goosebumps.

Where death metal has this dark, furrowing feeling in its sound, weight and punishment, Mithras takes you where the sky meets the mountains; it's vast and timeless in effect - check out the instrumental "The Sands of Time".

The guitars are gonna be the main talking point; they mirror some mythological behemoth in scale. Death metal as a style has never sounded so, well, HUGE. Mithras back that sound with intent and substance. How? After the chasmic atmosphere of "Portal to the..." your ears melt at the unbelievable drum speed as the fastest double bass blast I have ever heard propels the title track - you have to listen agin just to catch it all. It's like looking into a tornado, you need time to get your head round the blast to see all, and it's topped off with god-like death vocals.

[...and then some track by track discussion...]

Mithras have single-handedly brought a new dimension and conciousness not just to death metal but to extreme music as a whole. "Worlds Beyond the Veil" is an album not just of its time but one for the ages, and Mithras will rise in the annals of music alongside such names as Sabbath or Maiden, or Metallica circa 'Master of Puppets', or Morbid Angel for the sheer far reaching influence their music brings to the world.

Mithras have not just re-defined death metal or even, the wider world of extreme metal, they have marked in the fabric of time an essence which will go before all as a totem to how powerful, individual and life affirming the feeling of our music is.

I've said it before and I will say it again: this is beyond. In fact this is beyond the ability of most bands. Not just for now but for evermore.

Essential.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Bollocks, just noticed that Dee already posted that.

I did it better.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:
The Golden Fang wrote:
Here's a link to a scan that the band are not ashamed to have on their website:

http://www.mithras.org.uk/images/scans/ ... 202003.jpg

:lol: Fucking hell. I'd heard about this but had never actually read the review before. I'm tempted to listen just to see how off the mark it is.

I remember reading it in the shop and actually feeling embarrassed, like you do when you see something excruciatingly shit on TV or film, like I would feel if Darth Vader ever went "NOOOOOOO!!"

But fortunately that has never happened.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I actually bought it.

I was conned before that was even a thing.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Worse than Dancing Under Glass?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Christ, no.

Sorry, Steev... but, you know - not really.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

if Morbid Angel had never existed, then Mithras would be a top ten DM band...but they do...I actually prefer the debut album (remastered version), it has more proper riffs and songs...

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've got the first one and Worlds Beyond The Veil. Very good tech DM but really nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

major-general heavy wrote:
if Morbid Angel had never existed, then Mithras would probably not exist either.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Another new album I give a shit about this month! Something's going to slip through the cracks.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I hope it's a concept album based on the film.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The last-but-one paragraph of that Mithras review made me laugh. That is truly astonishing.

I'm also surprised at how many proofreading errors there were there. Just couldn't get the staff, etc.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

major-general heavy wrote:
if Morbid Angel had never existed, then Mithras would be a top ten DM band...but they do...I actually prefer the debut album (remastered version), it has more proper riffs and songs...

Yeah, Mithras' debut is their best, the synthy/ambient bits go on for too long on the later albums.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I'm only just struck by how amusing the line "and, of course, Desecration" is. No mention of CARCASS, but 'of course' there was that Taffy pub band. The rest of the review is still an infuriating travesty.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:28 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chantler wrote:
I'm only just struck by how amusing the line "and, of course, Desecration" is. No mention of CARCASS, but 'of course' there was that Taffy pub band. The rest of the review is still an infuriating travesty.

Didn't read that but Desecration were a good DM band. You Taffy-hating cock.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:43 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Process Of Decay is among my favourite second-tier DM albums evah.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I wanted to go see them live about a week ago but couldn't as I had to wait for a delivery that never came. Would have imagined them to be fun live!

What I actually wanted to say (besides this being a cool-story-bro of course) is that Desecration are still around.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 271  Next