www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Melancholic/Depressive Music
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Melancholic/Depressive Music 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Melancholic/Depressive Music
Does anybody else find said kind of music uplifting?

Personally when I hear My Dying Bride or Woods Of Ypres I feel 6 ft tall ( I'm pretty short)

Which bands/albums/songs do you all like to play when you're in the mood for this kind of music?

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:08 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Melancholic/Depressive Music
This is hilarious:

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I've described While Heaven Wept as happy doom before.
not sure Chris (Chants) agrees.
but they do use a lot of major key chord progressions

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

major-general heavy wrote:

I'm not sure that's quite what he's getting at. I think the point is that even the deepest, darkest, dirgiest doom can leave you feeling uplifted, which I kind of agree with: There's nothing like plumbing the depths to realise everything isn't as bad as it seems (yes, I have been at the wine tonight).

One prime example for me is Neurosis, especially Through Silver in Blood: That is a hard journey, but it's worth it when you come out the other side.

Another one: I always used to find Shades of God by [that band] quite uplifting.

*** I may also have missed the point.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:47 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

My go to albums for melancholy are

Warning - Watching From A Distance
Trespassers William - Different Stars
The Cure - Disintegration
Henryk Gorecki - Symphony Number 3

I would say I find them cathartic rather than finding them uplifting.

Though I agree with While Heaven Wept being uplifting doom.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

doomrider wrote:

I'm not sure that's quite what he's getting at. I think the point is that even the deepest, darkest, dirgiest doom can leave you feeling uplifted, which I kind of agree with: There's nothing like plumbing the depths to realise everything isn't as bad as it seems (yes, I have been at the wine tonight).

One prime example for me is Neurosis, especially Through Silver in Blood: That is a hard journey, but it's worth it when you come out the other side.

Another one: I always used to find Shades of God by [that band] quite uplifting.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I'm only familiar with Disintegration. I shall check the others out in due course.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I remember Aaron from MDB being asked about the band's music being "depressing" and he said something along the lines of any music you enjoy, whether it's happy or sad, is uplifting, because you are enjoying it. Most Metal is not especially "happy" and most music other than pop or dance deals with negative emotions to some degree. So called "depressing" music is a moot point.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:16 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Corrupted and Greymachine.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I certainly understand where you're coming from handmadegod. I've always found stuff like Mournful Congregation's "Weeping" demo & dISEMBOWELMENT's "Transcendence Into The Peripheral" to be extremely empowering. It can take me outside of my own life & give me some relief from any day to day problems I might have.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:26 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Lycia are one band that has no happiness whatsoever. Absolutely miserable - and not in the same way that other depressing music can be uplifting.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:25 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Low are the most depressing band on the planet, and the main two members are a Mormon husband and wife

This on the other hand is hilarious, one man Black Metal band who obviously just got dumped

Seriously DSBM is Emo for Black Metal kids

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:33 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

doomrider wrote:

Ah ok fair enough. I always liked The Nephilim by Fields of the Nephilim for that sort of mood. Not metal I know

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I was listening to Arcane Coelestia's Nomas lately and it was the most uplifting doom/black I had ever heard. Not really sad sounding or bleak but rather overpowering as it would take me somewhere else.

Katatonia's Dance of December Souls has to he the saddest sounding metal album I've heard so far. Although I love it I don't recall ever getting sad because of it though.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:31 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I think "A Sunrise At Your Feet" by Longing For Dawn fits the bill here. I wouldn't describe this song as particularly depressing, though.

Also recommended: The first two Shape Of Despair albums. They fit the bill better.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:41 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Last night I listened to Warning and thought it was brilliant.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:50 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

opaline wrote:
I certainly understand where you're coming from handmadegod. I've always found stuff like Mournful Congregation's "Weeping" demo & dISEMBOWELMENT's "Transcendence Into The Peripheral" to be extremely empowering. It can take me outside of my own life & give me some relief from any day to day problems I might have.

Doesn't any music you enjoy do that? Is depressing music a special case?

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:07 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I remember Lee Dorrian made this point a few times. He said he found going into the depths to be cathartic both in his own music and in the music he listened to. I think he cited Trouble's first two albums as records which were cathartic for him in that sense.

In my own case, I don't think it always works like that. Everyone is different I guess. When I'm feeling very down I tend to just not want to listen to music at all, or indeed do anything I normally like.

There are a few exceptions to this though, and for me the main one is Maiden's X Factor album, which for me is VERY cathartic for when I'm in that type of mood. This is one of the reasons I always stick up for it.

Also I've found myself gravitating towards a couple of Pink Floyd songs for the same reason, but interestingly they're not Waters ones. The live versions of Comfortably Numb and High Hopes on P.U.L.S.E. are very good for when I'm in a melancholic frame of mind. High Hopes is slightly strange in this regard, as it's more of a wistful song than a melancholic one, but sometimes I get broody and look back into my memories, and it fits for that purpose. Comfortably Numb I played about three times in a row recently when feeling down. The solo on the live version is something else and just works, I can't put into words how.

Last edited by Cosmic Equilibrium on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:14 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I find it uplifting! Thats why TPW is my AOTY! (MDB can be too 'romantic')

Last edited by blacklorre on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:17 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I've heard a few people say Anathema's Eternity is very cathartic for times of low moods, but never tried it myself.

The main thing is that catharsis isn't something one forces, it just happens. I've tried to use music for cathartic purposes at times when feeling low and it just didn't work because it has to be something I do naturally.

With The X Factor I would say that I kind of wallow in the gloom of it and let it all resonate in me. I can't describe it more than that.

Although my favourite bands is Black Sabbath, I can't say I've ever listened to their music for a purely cathartic way, despite the fact that it's quite dark. I mainly listen for the sheer core energy in the songs. Perhaps I find that cathartic in itself, I've never really considered it.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next