www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists to 1
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists to 1 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Fall From Grace - bands that went straight from 5 fists
The Great Southern Trendkill was already viewed as a step down at the time, so it was only natural that they would keep dropping further. It's only on this forum that I ever read claims that it's their best album or one of their best etc. I also recall the reception being positive but even Terrorizer only gave it 3/5. Kerrang gave it 5 though I think.

Having said that, Reinventing The Steel was very ordinary, although not terrible.

I agree with Helloween, but Pink Bubbles Go Ape has a goofy charm to it that I can appreciate if the mood takes me (which isn't often).

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

FeedMeVibration wrote:
If that was the case it would never be used at all.

Exactly. All half marks show is the marker's indecisiveness and mealy-mindedness. They mean nothing about the subject.

Just look at Tez - the more half marks it's added, the further it's slid downhill.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:03 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FeedMeVibration wrote:
opaline wrote:
If the 5/5 rating is not kept for perfect records it is kind of meaningless.

I think if we bunched our fives together so to speak, there'd be a considerable gap between excellence and classic. Maybe too much. I think I'll revise my fistings from now on, reserving the 5 for personal classics only.

Refuse / Re-Fist it is then.

Edit: I think it's either/or though. If 5 fists is for classics only then you need to work with, whisper it, the half-fist too.

Since you are always so anal about terms, I'll set you straight here: there is no such thing as a personal classic. That is net speak. A classic album is an album that had an impact on a genre, was influential, represents the absolute pinnacle of achievment (to the extent that it's a reference point within the culture). A masterpiece, on the other hand, is simply a great/spectacular achievement. Most classics are also masterpieces but most masterpieces are not classics.

I'll leave my rant about the relevance of half fists for later.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:17 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:

Flotsam and Jetsam - From No Place to Disgrace to the recycled riff factory of When the Storm Comes Down.

More like a 5 to a 2 or 3. It's the tinny sound more than anything which lets down When The Storm Comes Down. And the shit cover art.

Spiny Norman wrote:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 to Pink Bubbles Go Ape.

Pink Bubbles Go Ape was the first Helloween album I got. I'd only heard the song "Future World" before that, so I was expecting more of the same. After I'd heard it I thought "What the bloody fuck is all the fuss about?" Next album I got was Chameleon, which doesn't even have Pink Bubbles... surrealist streak, and is just fucking boring. Masochist that I am, I had one more go with Helloween and got the Live in the UK album, which was fucking sweet. 8-)

Spiny Norman wrote:
Pantera - Going from The Great Southern Trendkill to Reinventing the Steel? Jesus.

Could never tell that much difference between those albums. I was just thankful Pantera had gone back to writing songs instead of just slowing down death metal riffs a la Far Beyond Boring.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

FeedMeVibration wrote:
robitusson wrote:
FeedMeVibration wrote:

Exactly. All half marks show is the marker's indecisiveness and mealy-mindedness. They mean nothing about the subject.

Just look at Tez - the more half marks it's added, the further it's slid downhill.

I was referring to their not being a 'perfect' album, not half-marks/ten fists.

The more I look at it, only the six gradations is really daft. If the 5 is absolute classics, and 0 the opposite of that, well you've got no middling because you can't have two and a half plus your gradations are village simpleton material.

If you think an album is above average it can only be one of three things: 3 (good), 4 (better) or 5 (best). Completely sortable that way, but if you took all your 4s there'd be one hell of a gulf between your considered best and worst ones.

So yes, finally decided on that, fuck five fists from this lad. Ten it is.

EDIT: One thing I do think Rob, on the out of ten front, is that the main problem is the fucking bewildering default state of reviewers to make 7 their average, which ends up leaving as much wriggle-room above as if it was an out of 5 system anyway. Haven't read Tez in a long time but I remember it creeping in towards the end of my bothering. Was one of the reasons I knocked it on the head actually.

Hence why ZT are marking out of 6?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

FeedMeVibration wrote:

I was referring to their not being a 'perfect' album, not half-marks/ten fists.

Yes. Understood. That's what I was agreeing with.

There is no "perfection" or "perfect classic". That's an utterly silly notion. 5 means excellent - simple as that.

FeedMeVibration wrote:
If you think an album is above average it can only be one of three things: 3 (good), 4 (better) or 5 (best). Completely sortable that way, but if you took all your 4s there'd be one hell of a gulf between your considered best and worst ones.
Then a lot of your 4s are actually 3s. 3 is a generally underrated fisting. It's a good, solid album.

And this is why 5 makes the most sense. 8-) Marks just don't lend themselves to being specific. They are inherently a general thing. It's difficult enough to use 5 alone and leaves massive room for error for people to even do this. You give a general indication and then describe. That's how it's properly done.

But when halves, marks out of ten and other such nonsense come in it automatically makes the person become measly and pernickety. :x :x It becomes all about comparison, slotting it into some nerdy taxonomy and nothing else. "Hmmm, is this a 6.5 or a 7. The last one was a 7.5 so that means...." IT'S NOT FUCKING REAL! Just give a broad indication and then tell us, if it's any good or not.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
I agree with Helloween, but Pink Bubbles Go Ape has a goofy charm to it that I can appreciate if the mood takes me (which isn't often).

Chameleon is way worse than PBGA. Mankind is a good song as well..

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Quote:
Game Over is a 5/5, no question. Anyone who thinks otherwise can sit on a fucking cactus and spin.

My biggest problem with it was a massive fucking scratch on the record which turned Brain Death from a seven minute song into anything up to a 30 minute epic. It was right in the middle of one of the fast riffs and fitted perfectly, so I didn't suspect it the first time I listened to it, but got a bit suspicious when it had been playing the same thing for about 15 minutes. I thought the band had incredible stamina. :lol: I now have a pristine CD copy which also has The Plague and some live tracks tacked on the end. The sound is perfect, but a little of the character is gone. :|

Incredibly, the same thing happened to me with an Exodus album, but on cd! :D And in fact, I think it was the player playing up. It was one of the newer Exodus, Exhibit B if I'm not mistaken, and I quite like the album, but if latter day Exodus can be accused of anything, it is sounding exactly like the record is stuck on a riff several times per song - so it took me quite long to notice, too :D As far as I remember, the player even kept showing the play time of the song correctly instead of skipping back.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Game Over is safe, corporate, 'crunchy' thrash. May the fucking thing rot in Hell.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

Chameleon is way worse than PBGA. Mankind is a good song as well..

You don't like Keeper part 2 that much do you? Because the drop from that to Pink Bubbles seemed far greater to me than the drop from Pink Bubbles to Chameleon. They were already on the downward slide, after all.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:46 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Does Xandria count? I loved the 4 albums with Lisa M but then they turned into a poor-man's Nightwish.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Cuchulainn wrote:
Game Over is safe, corporate, 'crunchy' thrash. May the fucking thing rot in Hell.

Insanity, Cuchulainn! Insanity. Handle With Care maybe, but Game Over? No way.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:20 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

24 hour ban.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:21 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

5 fists.

1 fist. At fucking best.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:51 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Here's one which will cause some spluttering:

Limp Bizkit $3 Bill Y'All - 4 1/2 fists

Limp Bizkit Significant Other - 0 Fists.

If any band fits this criteria, it's them. Tr00, bruv.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

HappygoLucky wrote:

My opinion of Limp Bizkit is that they're a band of great musicians but the frontman is a fucking cunt who can't rap and doesn't know what type of frontman he wants to be. It seems he's going for the comedy showman angle with the way he mugs up to the cameras in the music videos then he starts acting the hardman angle. It's like having David Lee Roth and Phil Anselmo in the same band.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

HappygoLucky wrote:

If ever there was a band in need of negative fist ratings, it's that one.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:04 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Matsui wrote:
Danzig

Four standout albums albeit a bit similar then he sacks the band and comes out with some electronic bullshit

Quoting myself because this is a perfect example of the thread title

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I agreed the first time I saw this, the last one I liked was 4.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next