www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 2675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Author Message
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Stat_Rad wrote:
Yet you love Fighting The World.

Go figure!

FTW has 10 times the punch of SIT. Like I said, the sound is not necessarily the issue. In Somewhere's case it sure didn't help, but it lacked conviction, inspiration and originality. The music is weak. A different production could not have fixed it.

No amount of heavy, raw distorted guitars, or whatever someone might like, is going to get a turkey like Heaven can wait to fly.


Sun May 14, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Here's supposedly why Hallowed has been dropped from their setlist...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ong-legal/


Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9255
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
My son explained it to me - SIT is AOR. SSOASS is prog. FTW is glam.


Sun May 14, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44372
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Wretch posted that on the previous page.

Nothing weak about the sound on Somewhere In Time obviously, just shaking it up a bit and experimenting with synths, something they had in the very early days, if I'm not mistaken. It took me a loooong time to come around to it (it only 'clicked' for me 10 or 12 years ago) but it's certainly up there with their other '80s albums - though I'll admit only Piece Of Mind is inferior (now that album has a weak sound). Deja Vu is certainly one of their heavier tracks too.

Just because people don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean they're blinkered in their views, Rob.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Sun May 14, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
My opinion is entirely separate from the fact that Maiden get a massive, massive free pass on their sub par stuff. I'm a fan of them too - just not a member the Maiden fan equivalent of ISIS.


Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
I'm in no way a member of the Maiden brigade but I simply can't understand some of these negative comments towards "Somewhere In Time". It isn't just my favourite Maiden record. It's my favourite heavy metal record overall. I can't change the fact that it was the first Maiden album I ever heard back in 1987/88 but it definitely includes some of their heaviest material. Just listen to the main riff on "Stranger In A Strange Land" for instance. The synths on that album really added to the vibe they were going for with the cover & the general futuristic theme.


Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9255
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
I really liked SIT but SSOASS aces it! I remember when I got both tapes!


Last edited by blacklorre on Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:25 am
Posts: 3435
Location: Australia
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Somewhere In Time isn't exactly my favourite Maiden album, but it's a solid 4 fister. Some okay tracks and some great tracks; my personal favourite being the title track. Wasted Years is a very close second. Honestly, there aren't many Maiden albums for me that have a consistent collection of excellent songs. Often times, there will be some lacking tracks, but then some 5 fist belters that still bring the album to a 5 fist rating overall. That's very much the case with Powerslave and Piece of Mind, for instance.

_________________
Image

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.


Sun May 14, 2017 4:30 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:45 am
Posts: 3004
Location: On top of the Trans-Alpine faultline
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
RainbowPrince wrote:
I think Vim is obviously taking the piss with his 5 fister comment. At least you'd really hope so.


Fuck off RainbowBrite. :P :lol: I don't joke about Maiden. My favourite album with my favourite song (Alexander the Great). And please take note: I said "MY"
, not the most widely acclaimed or greatest of all time, but what I personally like best.
Here's what I think of it:
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/somewhere-in-time/311668
I've never ever given a shit what anyone else has thought of my taste in music. The rest of you can all go fuck yourselves sideways with a rusty rake for all I care.

_________________
I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.


Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5099
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Ould Vim. As casual as usual.

_________________
Image


Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8331
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
I've come to realise over the last years that I no longer give a flying shit about Iron Maiden. They've officially had thirty years to write something good, and they haven't. So fuck it, why should I care. I saw em on the Powerslave and SIT tours anyway, so what's the use.

My friend saw them the other night and said they were good, but... yeah, whatever.

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:25 am
Posts: 3435
Location: Australia
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Fair enough Vim; I genuinely thought you weren't being serious. You're still nowhere near as wacky as Cosmic when it comes to Maiden, though. ;)

Alexander the Great is an okay track. Definitely has the potential to be a real belter, but falls short of it through poorly written lyrics, as well as the song dropping off into the deep end around the 4 minute mark. I spent many years trying to like it a lot and almost over-listened it, but it just doesn't do it for me. It's like Bruce is reading from a textbook about Alexander the Great and is awkwardly fitting it into the song off the cuff.

_________________
Image

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.


Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8331
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
robitusson wrote:
Here's supposedly why Hallowed has been dropped from their setlist...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ong-legal/



_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5099
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Apart from one lyric and the intro sounding vaguely similar, they can fuck off. Song is shite. Hallowed is awesome.

_________________
Image


Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9255
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
RainbowPrince wrote:
Alexander the Great is an okay track.


Alex is my last favorite of the epic tracks - on a par with SSOASS - prefer it to Mother Russia, Fear Of The Dark, Brave New World etc. Do love Face In The Sand though.


Fri May 19, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8331
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Cuchulainn wrote:
Apart from one lyric and the intro sounding vaguely similar, they can fuck off. Song is shite. Hallowed is awesome.


I don't think they ever claimed anything about the music, clearly six lines of vocal were lifted straight from that song. No argument there.

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44372
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
New Maiden live album on the way, November 17th:

Image
(Apologies for the oversized image.)

Quote:
Produced by Tony Newton and Iron Maiden founder member and bass player Steve Harris, the album is based on this year’s set list and is a faithful record of the epic show, including six songs from ‘The Book Of Souls’, the band's most recent studio album, along with many other classics and fan favourites.

Steve comments, "We spent a huge amount of time working on this as I wanted to get it as close to the Maiden live experience as I possibly could and to represent our fans from different parts of the world. This meant listening to literally hours upon hours of tapes from every show, to select material and construct a sound that would run consistently across the whole album and capture the excitement of a new country like El Salvador alongside such regular favourites as Donington or Wacken.”

Maiden manager Rod Smallwood adds, "’The Book Of Souls World Tour’ was a huge undertaking, not least for Bruce who started the tour singing in public for the very first time since recovering from throat cancer. He also piloted Ed Force One, upgraded last year from a Boeing 757 to a 747 so we could go further and faster to visit some fantastic cities and fans all round the world. This year continued that excitement bringing us our most successful North American and UK tours ever. It was a very special tour in a great many ways so we felt we wanted to document it for both ourselves and for our fans. Steve has done an incredible job putting together this set from cities around the world and we’ve made sure the deluxe CD will be available in a matching book format to ‘The Book of Souls’ release.

"On top of all that the release will be celebrated by an event that is a Maiden first: a free live streaming premiere of the concert film, as a thank you to our loyal fans around the world. We hope that the global Maiden community will all enjoy coming together to watch this special event online. Many of you will be in it as there is footage from a whole host of the places we played on this momentous tour. ”

The full tracklisting and the cities they were recorded in, is as follows:

If Eternity Should Fail – Sydney, Australia
Speed of Light - Cape Town, South Africa
Wrathchild – Dublin, Ireland
Children of the Damned – Montreal, Canada
Death or Glory – Wroclaw, Poland
The Red and the Black – Tokyo, Japan
The Trooper - San Salvador, El Salvador
Powerslave – Trieste, Italy
The Great Unknown – Newcastle, UK
The Book of Souls – Donington, UK
Fear of the Dark – Fortaleza, Brazil
Iron Maiden - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Number of the Beast – Wacken, Germany
Blood Brothers – Donington, UK
Wasted Years - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


http://ironmaiden.com/news/article/theb ... ivechapter

No Hallowed Be Thy Name, for obvious reasons, I suppose. Shame, though. One would assume that the video version will eventually get a physical release.


_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 1264
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Solaris wrote:
New Maiden live album on the way, November 17th:

Image
(Apologies for the oversized image.)

Quote:
Produced by Tony Newton and Iron Maiden founder member and bass player Steve Harris, the album is based on this year’s set list and is a faithful record of the epic show, including six songs from ‘The Book Of Souls’, the band's most recent studio album, along with many other classics and fan favourites.

Steve comments, "We spent a huge amount of time working on this as I wanted to get it as close to the Maiden live experience as I possibly could and to represent our fans from different parts of the world. This meant listening to literally hours upon hours of tapes from every show, to select material and construct a sound that would run consistently across the whole album and capture the excitement of a new country like El Salvador alongside such regular favourites as Donington or Wacken.”

Maiden manager Rod Smallwood adds, "’The Book Of Souls World Tour’ was a huge undertaking, not least for Bruce who started the tour singing in public for the very first time since recovering from throat cancer. He also piloted Ed Force One, upgraded last year from a Boeing 757 to a 747 so we could go further and faster to visit some fantastic cities and fans all round the world. This year continued that excitement bringing us our most successful North American and UK tours ever. It was a very special tour in a great many ways so we felt we wanted to document it for both ourselves and for our fans. Steve has done an incredible job putting together this set from cities around the world and we’ve made sure the deluxe CD will be available in a matching book format to ‘The Book of Souls’ release.

"On top of all that the release will be celebrated by an event that is a Maiden first: a free live streaming premiere of the concert film, as a thank you to our loyal fans around the world. We hope that the global Maiden community will all enjoy coming together to watch this special event online. Many of you will be in it as there is footage from a whole host of the places we played on this momentous tour. ”

The full tracklisting and the cities they were recorded in, is as follows:

If Eternity Should Fail – Sydney, Australia
Speed of Light - Cape Town, South Africa
Wrathchild – Dublin, Ireland
Children of the Damned – Montreal, Canada
Death or Glory – Wroclaw, Poland
The Red and the Black – Tokyo, Japan
The Trooper - San Salvador, El Salvador
Powerslave – Trieste, Italy
The Great Unknown – Newcastle, UK
The Book of Souls – Donington, UK
Fear of the Dark – Fortaleza, Brazil
Iron Maiden - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Number of the Beast – Wacken, Germany
Blood Brothers – Donington, UK
Wasted Years - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


http://ironmaiden.com/news/article/theb ... ivechapter

No Hallowed Be Thy Name, for obvious reasons, I suppose. Shame, though. One would assume that the video version will eventually get a physical release.



I might have to get that: I saw them at the O2 on that tour and they were excellent, as usual: however, the sound was a bit shit, so it would be good to hear it as intended.

_________________
Image


Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:39 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44372
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Saw them in Dublin and they sounded great, looking forward to this. Terrible title though, and a bit shit that the video version's online only (so far).

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 17318
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Saw them three times.

Download = Excellent.
Notts = Shit sound but they were still good.
Brum = Bloody brilliant.

Will wait for the Blu ray.

_________________
Image


Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stat_Rad and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.