www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread
Formulas and Gateways are both really good (I'm more of a fan of the former at the moment) but their latest doesn't do much for me at all I'm afraid. I really wish it did though!

Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

While "Kingdoms Disdained" is certainly a better record than "Illud Divinum Insanus" & "Heretic" (which isn't saying much) I still don't think it makes for a rewarding death metal experience.

Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Formulas and Gateways are both really good (I'm more of a fan of the former at the moment) but their latest doesn't do much for me at all I'm afraid. I really wish it did though!

I thought you preferred Gateways? I guess you finally came to your senses! :D

Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Hold your horses. My opinion might change again in the not so distant future, mate.

But seriously, I used to regard Gateways as a much more consistent album than FFF, but nowadays the latter just does something for me the former doesn't. I could have done without the non-death metal tracks on the album though.

Also I've been really digging The Chasm's From the Lost Years... lately. It's epic, dare I say emotive death metal that's rather progressive (no choruses absent here) and full of adventure. Fucking great stuff!

Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Yeah The Chasm are a great band. I actually prefer their later material to "From The Lost Years...". I think "Procession To The Infraworld" might be my favourite.

Sun May 13, 2018 2:55 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
Hold your horses. My opinion might change again in the not so distant future, mate.

But seriously, I used to regard Gateways as a much more consistent album than FFF, but nowadays the latter just does something for me the former doesn't. I could have done without the non-death metal tracks on the album though.

I said this a while ago and I believe you disagreed with me: Formulas was the last really cohesive sounding M.A record that sounded like it was composed as a proper album.

Gateways, as good as it is at times, just sounds like a collection of a decent songs. I don't sense an overarching 'vision' (for lack of a better word) to it.

The last album was good but completely forgettable, which is pretty much what I expected it to be even if I was hoping for something more.

It's sad to see a once great band become another face in the crowd, but that's precisely what M.A are and have been for almost 2 decades. What makes it worse is that many of their contemporaries have either regained their previous form to some degree (e.g Obituary) or completely reinvented themselves (e.g Gorguts). and then you have the next generation of bands like Portal releasing stellar material that leaves their last 3-4 albums in the dust.

Sun May 13, 2018 5:01 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

opaline wrote:
While "Kingdoms Disdained" is certainly a better record than "Illud Divinum Insanus" & "Heretic" (which isn't saying much) I still don't think it makes for a rewarding death metal experience.

Exactly, one of the safest DM records I have heard in a long time. Trey not playing much of any leads for 3 and a half to 4 minute tracks of blasting DM.

Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53