www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 7709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386
 Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Strongbow Steve's Random Music Thread
Spiny Norman wrote:
Eddie Trunk up there acting like an old man frightened by the prospect of change. The thing is, it's not even a new change. Every few years, a band arrives with a fancy new image, but because Ghost don't scream, grunt and mouthfart, he seems to take exception to them because they don't live up to what he imagined them to be.

The Kiss comparison is valid to a point, but Ghost have really taken their imagery from more extreme forms of music yet don't play anything resembling it. There is a slight air of goofiness about Ghost's image though that could be compared to The Misfits, another band Trunk dislikes.

I do agree with you that his objection to Ghost basically boils down to 'I don't like them and I don't get why others do either', but as an 'old fart' he should be embracing Ghost because there is nothing really new about them. They are the epitome of what's wrong with culture today, even if they are damn good. i.e just content to recycle and recombine elements from past forms.

There is a valid objection to be made against Ghost. He just didn't make it.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:52 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

So Tim Owens has been moaning lately that his work in Judas Priest has been completely ignored by the band in question following Halford's return. He questions why they never play any of the songs he recorded with Priest, saying that he's been 'erased from the band's past'. It's a bit of a shame really, because it means that he has absolutely no concept of how bad the two albums he recorded actually are. They aren't being left out of live setlists to be disrespectful to Tim's past involvement; it's much less personal and much more objective than that. The songs are shit and the fans don't want to hear them. Simple. Here's hoping Tim realises this one day.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:45 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Cathedral Spires > any song from the Halford reunion records.

Also, Owens is kind of justified. Maiden don't forget the Bayley era as much and play the odd song from it live, but JP haven't bothered to do that, although given that Owens sang even higher than Halford I wonder if it's also down to technical demands as well as personal choices. The Metalogy box set had about 2 tracks from the Owens albums which was a pretty poor thing to do given that he was in the band for a good five or six years.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cathedral Spires > any song from the Halford reunion records.

Judas Rising is far, far superior to that song. I would rather listen to the entire Nostradamus album than listen to Cathedral Spires in full, and I do not like Nostradamus at all.

As far as Blaze's songs getting more recognition, there's a simple answer to that as well: the Owens albums were even worse than the Blaze albums. At least The X Factor had the benefit of Steve's emotional composition and lyrics. All I hear on the Owens albums is a whiny American accent accompanying "heavy" music - as in, music that thinks it's heavy but really isn't. It's truly awful. I believe that Priest did a disservice to Owens by squandering his talent on those two awful albums; that is what he should be getting upset about. If he had a hand in writing the songs, then he should take responsibility for the fact that none of them are good enough to be on a live setlist.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Owens doesn't sound good on Jugulator imo. Sounds totally unnatural, like he is forcing it or something and it's also a bit robotic too.

The Blaze era of Maiden was obviously a failure, but The X Factor was at least musically ambitious and it's certainly a distinctive album in their catalogue, for better or worse. If Blaze had sung on those albums like he did on Silicon Messiah, and Harris hadn't insisted on producing, it would have been a really good album.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Have come to the conclusion that ALL metal is relevant!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

I honestly didn't think that Jugulator was that terrible or outrageous in the way that some of the Blaze era Maiden was. It just wasn't rightly Priest, it's no (better, or) worse than Iced Earth or Annihilator or Savatage or anything like that. I wouldn't put a silly song like e.g."Bullet Train" past Halford either. Whereas honestly, Virtual XI is embarrassing to behold from the ground up to me, it sounds like tards made it. But it wasn't, it was Iron Maiden literally wasting everyone's time.

Fuck, forgot what I came to share now.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Virtual XI is a fucking waste of time. Sure, Maiden did duff albums before it (No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark), but VXI was a new level of shite. As mentioned before, if The X Factor had a decent producer behind it, and Blaze turned in a performance that he's perfectly capable of, it wouldn't be half-bad at all. They could have dumped 3 songs off it and it would have been all the better.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

"Virtual XI" is just about the worst metal album I've heard in my life & "The X Factor" isn't much better. "Demolition" & "Jugulator" are both poor excuses for Judas Priest albums but neither are complete & utter shite so they aren't really in the same category in my opinion. Having said that though, you can easily understand why the band have ignored that material in a live environment when they have such a wealth of classic material to choose from.

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386