www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 6799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 340  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
I find their gothic stuff to be alright background music (certainly better than what other bands did at the time) but it just doesn't impress me much. I'd like Clouds if it weren't for those goofy vocals and Wildhoney, while having some ideas floating around, seems a bit too mellow for my taste - at least the harsh vocals sounded a bit better on there though.

NP: Image

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:01 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Watching/listening to Steven Wilson 'home invasion'

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
opaline wrote:
I didn't find them very interesting until 1992's "Clouds" but their mid-90's gothic material was much more impressive in my opinion. They made a much better gothic metal band than a death metal one for mine.

Don't tell Colin that. His head will explode! I'll go one step further than you and say that I actually prefer their post 97 work to their first two albums as well, and if I'm being honest, when I'm in the mood for Tiamat I mostly reach for one of the following 3 albums: Skeleton Skeletron, Prey and The Scarred People.

I recognise that Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber represent the peak of their creativity, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to them now, especially Wildhoney. I probably overplayed it in the mid 90's. Both albums were quite innovative for their time and they have considerable nostalgia value for me too.

I would go so far as to say that I think "Wildhoney" is the finest expression of the gothic metal sound I've heard to date.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

While I like plenty of death metal, Bolt Thrower are one of those bands that never clicked much. I haven't heard this album before but I can safely say that it actually makes me want to bang my head instead of just move my head like their other albums that I've heard did.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^It is probably their most aggressive sounding album. It was also the last essential album they did until their last one too. The drumming is better and so is the guitar work. I find myself reaching for it more than The 4th Crusade, which is a bit overrated, especially by old school types.

N.P J MASCIS Elastic Days

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:11 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Erotic Cakes stood out like a sore thumb among what you've been posting :) I like instrumental music a lot - but I've personally never been able to really enjoy Guthrie Govan's music. I always feel as though I'm very aware of him deploying things like restraint and tastefulness and discordance - he's too good at it. Unfortunately it sorta doesn't work for me, maybe because of his amazing gift as a teacher - and amazing generosity and transparency with it - has deflated much of the pressure behind his decisions in composing music. It hurts how I perceive his music to know so thoroughly that he is a master. His playing on that record (and in Aristocrats) is beyond astonishing, but no more so than the thousands of multiple-minute snippets I've watched over and over of him simply picking up a guitar and doing something interesting. I think he'd need to create a very fresh sounding musical environment, to overwhelm me with his original material, otherwise he is truly the instrument's martyr and the actual guitar Jesus. I get so sick of hearing the played out, smooth, polite, pedigree grooves on all his stuff. Stuck half of Erotic Cakes on while I was thinking about it and it is OK - hate 50% of the beats and sooooo many instances of telegraphed musical resolution. The lead playing is mindblowing and to be fair I've always liked "Ner Ner", best tune Steve Vai never managed to write. Fucking frustrating dualistic experience of having both witnessed greatness and wasted my time :lol: COME ON GUTHRIE STOP FUCKING ABOUT WITH RETREADING ON CASIOPEA!

Understandable though.

np Casiopea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOekWuzk3o

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Regarding BT I found TOL to be more melodic and even somewhat restrained sounding, FV seems to be a more vicious version of that and it's just what I was looking for. Tried RoC too, but that one despite its gritt really goes one ear in our one ear out.

NP: Image

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:32 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

"The 4th Crusade" was an absolutely epic death metal record & is Bolt Thrower's best work for mine. It followed off the back of two very strong releases & the tour to support the album was amongst my most cherished live death metal experiences so I was very excited to see what "For Victory" had to offer when I bought it immediately upon release. But unfortunately I never quite got into it as much as I'd hoped because (although the band were under enormous pressure to come out with something different) the album didn't take any real chances & simply sounded like more of the same. That's not to say that it was a bad record as such though. It just seemed like I'd heard it all before so it didn't have the impact that their previous three full-lengths did for me. I find it quite strange to see "For Victory" held up in such high regard these days because I don't recall anyone raving about it at the time. Perhaps a revisit in a different context will change my opinion.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FlockaJawaka wrote:
I think he'd need to create a very fresh sounding musical environment, to overwhelm me with his original material, otherwise he is truly the instrument's martyr and the actual guitar Jesus. I get so sick of hearing the played out, smooth, polite, pedigree grooves on all his stuff. Stuck half of Erotic Cakes on while I was thinking about it and it is OK - hate 50% of the beats and sooooo many instances of telegraphed musical resolution.

This is a strange objection. Most instrumental electric guitar music is this way, and Guthrie's playing is more varied than most, so if you find his music too contrived, who isn't contrived? Marty Friedman? Allan Holdsworth? Al Di Meola?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

How many more Martin van Drunen imitators does death metal need? :lol:

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Is that band called Trenchgoat?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

TrenchRot. Good (if unoriginal) album.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
I find it quite strange to see "For Victory" held up in such high regard these days because I don't recall anyone raving about it at the time. Perhaps a revisit in a different context will change my opinion.

The consensus on For Victory in the mid 90's is that it was a really good album but just another Bolt Thrower album that wasn't as good as the previous two. I recall it getting 4/5 reviews on average, but The 4th Crusade got a few 4.5's and 5's from memory. So yeah, it was business as usual, but business was good. Keep in mind that the shine had gone off death metal in the mid 90's too, which may have impacted on its reception. Very few people were raving about Suffocation's Pierced From Within in 1995, yet look at its reputation now. Things change, and it's not always the innovative and forward thinking albums that are appreciated more as time goes on. It's also the ones that didn't strike us as being particularly special at their time of release for various reasons. i.e other genres becoming more prominent, perceptions of stasis/stagnation etc. Not saying that For Victory has a comparable reputation to Pierced From Within (or Obscura, to use an example from the opposite end of the spectrum), but I do get the impression that it's more liked now.

I'm not sure how BT albums are ranked nowadays though. I really have no idea to what extent the younger generations have picked up on them or whether their preferences differ from ours, but I find myself continually revising my opinion of some bands as I get older. Sometimes the album you loved in 1994 just doesn't sound as good now for whatever reason, even if it has considerable nostalgic appeal.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sounds pretty yummy so far.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Stat_Rad wrote:
FlockaJawaka wrote:
I think he'd need to create a very fresh sounding musical environment, to overwhelm me with his original material, otherwise he is truly the instrument's martyr and the actual guitar Jesus. I get so sick of hearing the played out, smooth, polite, pedigree grooves on all his stuff. Stuck half of Erotic Cakes on while I was thinking about it and it is OK - hate 50% of the beats and sooooo many instances of telegraphed musical resolution.

This is a strange objection. Most instrumental electric guitar music is this way, and Guthrie's playing is more varied than most, so if you find his music too contrived, who isn't contrived? Marty Friedman? Allan Holdsworth? Al Di Meola?

I know, right? It is a duality. I like all sorts of wank guitar music. Maybe it's that I want him to be more than another one of those guys. Not that I don't love Allan and Al. I have all the respect for GG in the world, just leaving it as "it's contrived" would be very harsh. It's more a nuanced issue.. It's not that I have a problem with contrived or very stylised music.

I mean - I hardly ever go to his recorded output to experience Guthrie Govan, and that is a shame. The best thing I can say about him is that he has apparently mastered and consolidated every electric guitar technique and style, and has a deeply developed philosophical eye in music. That quality bites the butt of his music for me, it gets applied similarly, but doesn't really fly in the same way. It comes off more as a homogeny than breadth and mastery. Maybe it's just that, in itself - it is mostly material that has a strong reference point, it's quite backwards-looking. With just-fresh-enough spins ideas-wise, sonic palette-wise (not playing wise - that shit is top tier) to have made it stand out enough. Same goes for Aristocrats, it is quite staid and learned. A little bit vehicular for the marquee players. Allan Holdsworth was his own universe, I wish Guthrie was. What do you think of the Cakes record, do you like it?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FlockaJawaka wrote:
Maybe it's just that, in itself - it is mostly material that has a strong reference point, it's quite backwards-looking. With just-fresh-enough spins ideas-wise, sonic palette-wise (not playing wise - that shit is top tier) to have made it stand out enough. Same goes for Aristocrats, it is quite staid and learned. A little bit vehicular for the marquee players. Allan Holdsworth was his own universe, I wish Guthrie was. What do you think of the Cakes record, do you like it?

Songs like 'Waves' to me don't sound like they are strongly referencing anything in particular. They sound quite 'progressive' for guitar rock music.

I like Erotic Cakes quite a bit. I first heard it years ago, but I didn't get a copy until just recently.

Holdsworth and Di Meola were pretty much islands onto themselves, especially Holdsworth, although I don't like the new age-y aspect of some of his music at all.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 340  Next