www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 am



Reply to topic  [ 5501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 276  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Author Message
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 44881
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
opaline wrote:
I've never subscribed to the concept of "Countdown To Extinction" being the classic that so many people seem to. Perhaps I'm just much more into the thrashier side of Megadeth & to me the only Megadeth albums that are essential are the trio from 1986 through to 1990.

This. It was such a blatant cash-in on the commercial metal success of Metallica that it left a bad taste in the mouth and they never regained my respect after that. They have no decent albums outside those three you mentioned. Some good songs, definitely (which I've compiled and listen to a lot) - and yes, a handful of those are from Countdown... - but nothing worth shelling out for. A shadow of the band they were, and could have been.

_________________
http://cow.org/csi/


Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:26 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 1407
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Solaris wrote:
opaline wrote:
I've never subscribed to the concept of "Countdown To Extinction" being the classic that so many people seem to. Perhaps I'm just much more into the thrashier side of Megadeth & to me the only Megadeth albums that are essential are the trio from 1986 through to 1990.

This. It was such a blatant cash-in on the commercial metal success of Metallica that it left a bad taste in the mouth and they never regained my respect after that. They have no decent albums outside those three you mentioned. Some good songs, definitely (which I've compiled and listen to a lot) - and yes, a handful of those are from Countdown... - but nothing worth shelling out for. A shadow of the band they were, and could have been.


I'd agree with that, although let us remember Megadeth weren't the only ones: Testament did it with The Ritual as well.

For me, CtE was the end of my 'deth interest: not only were the songs pretty dull but we also saw Mustaine transform into a right-wing religious loon, which means I have no interest in giving him my money.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:51 pm
Posts: 4568
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Biggest sell-out attempt ever made by Megadeth was Risk. Endgame was a collection of riffs which weren't used to their full potential. Dystopia is the first decent Megadeth album since Countdown, which despite having a dated production and being an attempt to get the Metallica money, it still had some corking songs on it.

NP:

Tongue Party - Looking For A Painful Death.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21841
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Triggmartyr wrote:
Biggest sell-out attempt ever made by Megadeth was Risk. Endgame was a collection of riffs which weren't used to their full potential. Dystopia is the first decent Megadeth album since Countdown, which despite having a dated production and being an attempt to get the Metallica money, it still had some corking songs on it.


Youthanasia is damn good imo. Probably sounds better now than it did then.

What's strange though is how Mustaine kept misreading market signals. When Countdown did really well he thought 'we'll simplify the songs even more and sell more albums'. That was logical from the point of view of increasing popularity, but when Youthanasia sold less than half of Countdown, he just kept going further along that route, as if the real problem was that they hadn't gone commercial enough, so they put out Cryptic Writings then Risk. Each album was more watered down than the last.

Say what you want about Youthanasia, but they still retained their musical identity on that album. Cryptic Writings sounded quite fractured but still kind of like them, even if the essence was fading, but Risk was the sound of a band who were completely lost.

N.P Megadeth The System Has Failed

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 am
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
It looks like I may be one of the few who really enjoy Countdown To Extinction (and Youthanasia) around here. I think I do separate them from the albums preceding. It would be foolish to argue that they weren't angling towards wider appeal, but for mine it's no more commercially conscious than, say, Holy Diver.

I find it to be well-written, concise metal songs. I can definitely see people taking umbrage with Mustaine's voice and his various vocal tics, but I think the songs are there. And despite it's commercial bent, you didn't see them go the 'Nothing Else Matters' route here, so I'm not too cynical about the 'selling out'.

From what I've read, it appears that Mustaine became a bit maniacal about hitting #1 on Billboard, and I think that explains them devolving toward Risk, which is one thing, but the strangest part about that album is how gloriously out of touch it is with what was popular contemporary rock of the time. It's like a long lost Bon Jovi record with Mustaine guesting as vocalist.

Now Playing:

Image

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:45 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 6498
Location: Sydney, Australia
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

Warlock - "Hellbound" (1985)


Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21841
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Chinese Whispers wrote:
I find it to be well-written, concise metal songs. I can definitely see people taking umbrage with Mustaine's voice and his various vocal tics, but I think the songs are there. And despite it's commercial bent, you didn't see them go the 'Nothing Else Matters' route here, so I'm not too cynical about the 'selling out'.


Yep. Tons of great riffs and melodies, and Mustaine really pushed his vocals on both of those albums, especially Youthanasia.

Chinese Whispers wrote:
From what I've read, it appears that Mustaine became a bit maniacal about hitting #1 on Billboard, and I think that explains them devolving toward Risk, which is one thing, but the strangest part about that album is how gloriously out of touch it is with what was popular contemporary rock of the time. It's like a long lost Bon Jovi record with Mustaine guesting as vocalist.


That's part of what I meant by them being lost. They had no idea where they are going.

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 am
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:41 pm
Posts: 1915
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:41 pm
Posts: 1915
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21841
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII


^^Underrated album. Their 90's style was simple but good.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image

I'm feeling a bit scatterbrained tonight it seems.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21841
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII


^^Great performance.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 4229
Location: Australia.
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Stat_Rad wrote:


^^Great performance.


I did see this the other day. I know Corgan has done some solo acoustic tours of late (I think prior to the "original line-up" reunion). The production of '1979' on the album plays such a pivotal role, so it was always going to be interesting how it translated so stripped down. I agree, this was a great interpretation.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:27 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:41 pm
Posts: 1915
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21841
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Chinese Whispers wrote:
I did see this the other day. I know Corgan has done some solo acoustic tours of late (I think prior to the "original line-up" reunion). The production of '1979' on the album plays such a pivotal role, so it was always going to be interesting how it translated so stripped down. I agree, this was a great interpretation.


I'd go further and say that if you don't like that version then you don't really understand the song at all. That version cuts right to the 'heart', so to speak. Right to the feeling. Corgan has become better at acoustic stuff since his last solo album, which was surprisingly good, if a bit long.


N.P TIAMAT The Scarred People

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:41 pm
Posts: 1915
Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Image


Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 276  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.