www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 252  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
I'm suspicious of a film that claims to be a long take that lasts for 138 mins. Mostly because I get the impression that it's trying to simulate 'real time', which doesn't interest me.

A long take is a great tool to shatter our perception of time/space. That's why Russian Ark worked. It was a long take through time, not in time. There is a difference.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:21 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yeah, my understanding is that it is a 'night in the life of...', with it being in real time. Like I said, it could be a really drab gimmick. I think a lot depends on your DP, and you're preparation, to fully utilize the run time.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Doesn't sound like it's for me.

HIGH AND LOW: The best police procedural/thriller ever made? Yep. Screw Fincher and Friedkin. This is on a whole different level. Kurosawa was great with visuals and story, and the ending is just devastating, taking the meaning of the film in an entirely new direction, casting a huge shadow on preceding events. It's better than most of his Samurai films too. 8.5/10

DRUGSTORE COWBOY: Very good, but it has lost something over the years. It's definitely better than Trainspotting because it feels more realistic and is less concerned about being sensationalist. Matt Dillon is very good and Lynch isn't too bad either. Van Sant also balances the drama and offbeat humour in a way that seems right, a skill he seems to have unfortunately lost. 7 or 7.5

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Because I love lists more than life itself....

my top 10 films from 2018 (based on Uk releases)

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I liked First Reformed, but it was really just a remix of a whole bunch of Schrader's influences and older films.

I've never even heard of a few of those films

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

REVENGE
(2018)

On the face of it, Revenge is just another yawnsome rape/revenge tale. A story from a genre which has already been done to death, resurrected, and done to death again many, many times over. However, underneath a blandly unoriginal title, Revenge is armed not only with all the prerequisite gut-punching violence, but a serious sense of style. Sort of like I Spit on Your Grave if it had been directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, it jumps effortlessly between dirty grindhouse cinema of the '70s, the flashy and trashy '80s, and more contemporary influences.

Basically, the unbelievably sexy Jen (Matilda Anna Ingrid Lutz from some stuff I haven't seen) is having an affair with a wealthy business/political type called Richard who really doesn't want his wife to find out. Having his way with Jen, Richard's plan is to send her away so he can go on a hunting trip with two of his business buddies but those plans change when they turn up a day early at his secluded desert sex den.

After flirting with one of the friends (a mustachioed, weasely type you definitely wouldn't trust around your hot, sexy girlfriend), the next day becomes a bit uncomfortable when Jen realises Richard has gone off for a few hours leaving her to entertain Weasel Tache and his overweight chocolate-munching friend. Before you can say "there's been a rape up there", there's been a rape up there and Jen is left sobbing on her bed, crying to go home and threatening to tell Richard's wife.

As it turns out, threatening her nice, even-tempered boyfriend isn't the best move and Richard leaves her for dead in the desert minus about five pints of blood. Somehow surviving, Jen escapes and hides from Bad Boyfriend, Chocolate Fatty, and Weasel Tache before fixing herself up and turning the tables on her attackers.

From the moment Jen wakes up in the desert, Revenge becomes an unrelenting bloodbath. A film so violent and bloody that it soon transcends reality and becomes a brutal, garish comic book. Lifelike authenticity takes a nosedive and you're just in it for the savagery. Who cares if each character spills what looks to be more than ten pints of blood? Who cares that it's probably twenty minutes too long? Who cares that the final scene goes from genuine suspense to a Scooby-Doo chase? Just go along for the ride and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Full frontal nudity, gore, guns, blood, more gore, and the worst case of glass in foot since Bruce Willis in Die Hard, Revenge begins in reality and ends in a cavalcade of viscera, earlobes and shotgun blasts, all topped off with some fantastic camerawork, lighting and direction.

4 Fists

*waits for Stat to splutteringly disagree*

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm in.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The only Revenge I've seen is the underrated now forgotten one with Kevin Costner and Madelaine Stowe, directed by Tony Scott.

I've heard of that one though. Looks ok. Might get to it eventually

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Beauty and The Beast (1978):

This is a criminally underseen film. Kills the Disney versions and it's probably better than Cocteau's one too. It's a Czech production that bears some resemblance to other morbid fantasies of the time like Valerie and Her Wonders, although this is decidedly less surreal and off the wall than that and it was made after the Czech New Wave had effectively ended.

Herz was great at creating fantasy worlds that were gritty and dark. He did this with Morgiana in 1972, which was about a wicked sister's murderous jealousy of her younger more beautiful and popular sister. This gothic fairy tale delves more deeply into the monster's self loathing and torment than other versions, and the beast resembles a bird like creature ala Judex. The costumes and set designs are excellent, and the relationship between the beauty and the beast is intelligently drawn.

It's only in its final moments where the conventional nature of the source material gets in the way of Herz's gloomy unorthodox vision. I wouldn't be surprised if this restriction was imposed on him by the producers, but even then the emphasis on mood is so strong that you probably wouldn't be able to follow it as well if you weren't familiar with the original story anyway.

7.5 or 8/10.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT
(2018)

I know some of you will disagree, but I''m happy to admit I've never been a fan of Lars von Trier. I first became aware of the Danish director's work during an old episode of Eurotrash where he was interviewed on the set of The Idiots. His work intrigued me, and that lovely word "controversial" already seemed to be following him around everywhere. Thanks to films like Antichrist and Nymphomaniac, controversy still follows him around to this day - as do all the now almost compulsory "Cannes audience outraged" headlines. Unfortunately, everything of von Trier's that I've seen to date has only managed to elicit the same /partridgeshrug.gif response, and THTJB is no exception.

Matt Dillon plays a serial killer, who over the course of two and a half excruciating fucking hours, relays five different stories of how he killed certain people. Uma Thurman gets beaten to death, some woman gets strangled (twice), and some other rubbish people get killed off as the hideously overlong character study (complete with at least twenty minutes of wildlife photography and piano playing) progresses at a pace at which only a snail dragging a brick would be envious. At one point, Dillon even has to virtually turn to the audience and explain "this represents art". If you have to explain it, then you're doing it wrong.

The controversy this time seems to be over the murder of two young children, and a leg being snipped off a duckling during a flashback sequence. These scenes apparently caused "horrified audiences to walk out" as only audiences at Cannes seem to do. Although, as usual there were always just the right amount of people left in the theatre to give von Trier his mandatory standing ovation.

Although tortuously tortoise-like in pace, THTJB does actually have a few things going for it. Some of the extremely black humour works well, Dillon's performance is occasionally excellent, and some of the visuals during the rather surreal final twenty minutes are nothing short of fantastic. Other than that though, just insert /partridgeshrug.gif again.

2.5 Fists

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^^The running time kind of put me off, plus Von Trier is really hit and miss.

It's good to see Dillon in an interesting role again though. He is often a bad actor, but with the right director he can be a unique and compelling.

EDIT: changed right actor to right director

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

He's the only reason I persisted with it. His performance is far better than the material.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

HEAVY TRIP
(2018)

After twelve years of practicing in a dingy basement, a Finnish heavy metal band decide to record their first original song. After writing their magnum opus, they hand the demo tape to a Norwegian festival promoter who promises to give it a listen. Having not heard anything for a while, the band's singer - not wanting to dishearten his friends - tells them they were booked and the band immediately become celebrities in their little town.

Of course, their path to metal immortality is strewn with obstacles, the most problematic of which happens to be their singer's stage-fright which manifests itself in the form of projectile vomit every time he sets foot on stage. Falling in love with the girl who works at the local flower shop, having a run-in with a local lothario, and being regularly abused by the small town chavs, the singer pulls himself together and the band set out to change the face of Finnish heavy metal forever.

Being a metal fan, I actually found Heavy Trip to be a lot more enjoyable than I expected. There have been a few attempts at heavy metal comedy over the years, but none have come close to Spinal Tap or Bad News. Mainly because films about heavy metal usually only tend to appeal to fans of heavy metal. While Heavy Trip definitely requires a certain level appreciation towards the genre (if you don't like metal, the songs are going to be nothing but horrible noise in your ears) no real background knowledge is required. There are plenty of in-jokes to keep the trve and kvlt types happy, but nothing that gets in the way of the story. Each character is well defined, and anyone who has been in a band will find it easy to identify with one of the members. I certainly did anyway.

Considering the music being blasted out by the band is extremely heavy Death Metal (sorry... Symphonic Post-Apocalyptic Reindeer-Grinding Christ-Abusing Extreme War Pagan Fennoscandic Metal), the film itself is relatively easy going, good-natured and sympathetic, only going for the real laughs during the last half an hour when things go a bit more bonkers. That said, an aggressive mental patient, two litres of vomit, and a large bucket of reindeer blood being emptied over someone is hardly gentle Rom-Com territory.

Guaranteed to not appeal to everyone (general public in not flocking to see a subtitled Finnish film about an obscure heavy metal band shocker), Heavy Trip is just stupidly entertaining, noisy fun.
All hail Impaled Rektum.

4 Fists

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny, have you seen Let The Corpses Tan? I watched it today and am curious to see what you think of it. You seem the most likely person I know to have seen it.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I have not.
I will investigate.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny, have you seen Lords of Chaos yet? Looks pretty bad to me. A bit too late for this kind of film too imo

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I haven’t seen it, but I’m under the impression that it would be much like the book and waste far too much time focusing on nefarious acts, rather than anything of substance (and take a few liberties of those events as well).

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Was there anything of 'substance' with these arseholes? The fact that they're speaking in American accents is enough for me...

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

That and the fact that none of the bands let their music be used, so you can imagine what generic shite will be used in its placr.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I decided to give The Cat o' Nine Tails another go today. I still don't think it's anything more than just alright. Definitely one of the weaker of Argento's that I've seen.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 252  Next