www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 294  Next
 What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol. VIII
Stat_Rad wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Isn’t a lot of people’s defence basically if you take the DM tracks, and throw away the rest, it’s a good EP’s worth of material?

Yeah, there's a few on here who hold that opinion. I'm not one of them.

:lol:

did you like the last album? Seems like it has already been forgotten. Made no lasting impression whatsoever.

I do like it. It's no Formulas, that's for sure but it's a solid album and about what you'd expect from a MA record these days, IMO. Anyone expecting anything truly innovative from them at this stage is going to be disappointed.
NP

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

^ How do you feel about Morbid Visions?

Maybe I should revisit the last MA album.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:51 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
^ How do you feel about Morbid Visions?

Still love MV. I still have a great deal of time for all the Sepultura stuff up to Arise. After that they're none of my business.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
I do like it. It's no Formulas, that's for sure but it's a solid album and about what you'd expect from a MA record these days, IMO. Anyone expecting anything truly innovative from them at this stage is going to be disappointed.

I wasn't expecting innovation. I was hoping for good songs. There weren't many on there imo. Some cool riffs though.

N.P MEGADETH Youthanasia

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Speed/power/thrash from Norway.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Great speed/power metal from Hungary.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The last Morbid Angel was just very vanilla. Nothing really awful (apart from maybe the unbalanced mix), but nothing really spectacular either. It may as well have been a Hate Eternal album :P

Now Playing:

It surprises me that this is 15 years old. It just came at a time before this flavour folky Metal shtick really became a big thing, but here it is at least earnest enough to not come across as hokey as some of the European acts that would follow. The death vocals are a bit flat, but the rest of the performances are so lush and colourful that it really helps lift the songs, despite the long runtime.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

All of the Tucker MA albums are rubbish. Utterly generic at best, dull as dishwater at worst.

The five decent tracks on Illud are a better EP than anything released with Tucker.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

In the mood for some proggy wankiness whilst doing the house chores :D

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

My personal favourite Darkthrone, but that probably has a lot more to do with my personal preference to early Swe-death over raw black metal. I would definitely accept the fact that it’s certainly not as original/cutting edge as the albums that followed, all of that objective stuff, but it doesn’t do anything for me. Next on Justify Your Shitty Taste... :?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
It surprises me that this is 15 years old. It just came at a time before this flavour folky Metal shtick really became a big thing, but here it is at least earnest enough to not come across as hokey as some of the European acts that would follow. The death vocals are a bit flat, but the rest of the performances are so lush and colourful that it really helps lift the songs, despite the long runtime.

I'm surprised it's that old too and that it took them 8 years to follow up their second album. I recall thinking the production was too sterile and that the vocals were bland at first, in addition to their style being more 'generic' than it was in the 90's, but it eventually grew on me.

Their output is hit and miss though imo, but they were really ahead of the curve on the folky/metal thing. They have been doing it since the mid 90's. Sahara is a bit of a wash, but El Norra Alila was a huge step up.

N.P LES CLAYPOOL Of Whales and Woe

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
I'm surprised it's that old too and that it took them 8 years to follow up their second album.

I think that prolonged silence, as well as being somewhat exotic by metal standards, added to the mystique of it.

Stat_Rad wrote:
I recall thinking the production was too sterile and that the vocals were bland at first, in addition to their style being more 'generic' than it was in the 90's, but it eventually grew on me.

I don't recall how the production compares to their debut, as I don't own it and definitely have not heard it enough to critique. Another Israeli metal band I was familiar with at the time, Asgaut (who had some personal ties to Orphaned Land), released an album I am very fond of around that time as well, and it's production is severely lacking in comparison, so the fact it was as competent as it is, I was willing to go with it. I think apart from maybe the harsh vocals, the aggressive guitar parts maybe lacked some bite, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Colin posted this before. I've listened to it a few times, and I really dig. Very Atheist-y. What a shit cover and album name, though.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
All of the Tucker MA albums are rubbish. Utterly generic at best, dull as dishwater at worst.

The five decent tracks on Illud are a better EP than anything released with Tucker.

There are no 'decent' tracks on that fucking pile of shit.
This is very possibly the stupidest post you've ever made. Which is some achievement considering your track record... :roll:

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:02 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I think that prolonged silence, as well as being somewhat exotic by metal standards, added to the mystique of it.

Do you know why it took them so long to make another album? I'm sure that the situation over at Holy Records had something to do with it because they lost most of their roster in the early 00's, including Septic Flesh, but there was obviously more to it.

N.P MERCYFUL FATE Melissa

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:

My personal favourite Darkthrone, but that probably has a lot more to do with my personal preference to early Swe-death over raw black metal. I would definitely accept the fact that it’s certainly not as original/cutting edge as the albums that followed, all of that objective stuff, but it doesn’t do anything for me. Next on Justify Your Shitty Taste... :?

Nothing shitty whatsoever about Soulside.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Oh, I’m aware of that. Just having a jab at some of the serious black metallers I used to know.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

And honesty, how many death metal albums do you know that resemble Soulside Journey? The production might be Sunlight, but musically it was and I'd argue still is rather unique. My only complaint about the album is that it gets a bit same-y eventually, but what the hell.

NP:

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
There are no 'decent' tracks on that fucking pile of shit.
This is very possibly the stupidest post you've ever made. Which is some achievement considering your track record... :roll:

I disagree & fall firmly into the camp of those that believe there were 4 or 5 decent tracks to be found on "Illud Divinum Insanus". I really don't think it's much worse than the disappointing "Heretic" album in all honesty although I'd likely choose "Heretic" if my I had to pick one to save my life.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

And Tucker still sounds good. Vincent sounds like an annoying tough guy nowadays. His last good performance was on Covenant.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 294  Next