www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Why is metal music popularly considered a “phase” ?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Why is metal music popularly considered a “phase” ? 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Why is metal music popularly considered a “phase” ?
For me it's just all about the music. I've got plenty of interests not related to it, so I consider myself to be a fan at best. I dress like a lamestream person, too.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I’m also curious to whom of us would consider themselves participants in the metal sub-culture?

Personally beyond an interest in the music, and by extension the odd live show, I must admit that I don’t feel particularly connected to the sub-culture. I’m interested if the sub-cultureis maybe bigger than the music, or at least more than just the music. Something people get involved in in their teenage years before moving on it as they enter post-schooling life.

It's weird: I would consider myself a metaller, but I am the least metal looking person in the world, other than the t-shirts. I have been part of a "scene" but was always on the periphery (not the band), by choice. I love talking music, and it really frustrates me I don't have anyone I can have in-depth, drunken conversations about metal with at the moment.

Am I part of the sub-culture? I guess so: Mainly due to the fact I buy the music, go to the shows, [try to] play the music, I like hanging out in metal bars etc., but I'm not of the devil horns-throwing, loud, raucous behaviour type, and never have been.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
It’s interesting that you bring up the ‘age’ of rock and metal (and I guess it ties into Cuchulainn’s comment about the Beatles). As a comparison, a genre like jazz was maybe just starting to move beyond being music for rowdy youths and into a more ‘mature’ audience. I’m just pondering thoughts on this. Does this happen to metal eventually (I think a lot of what would be considered ‘classic rock’ already has become somewhat revered even in a more mainstream culture - just look at the recent success of the Queen biopic)? Or the fact that metal was never part of ‘pop music culture’, or the very least, not at more than a very shallow level, like jazz, rock, dance, rap, etc. have managed?

Metal never achieved the same status as rock, but classic metal bands are more respected by the mainstream press than ever before. Whether this translates to what you are talking about though is a whole different story. Hard to say.

Re: subculture. It depends on how you define participation. Going to shows and keeping up with news might be considered enough depending on one's definition. If metal is nothing more than music, and it's the music that increasingly defines the culture, then I guess if you follow it keenly and buy metal albums you are part of the culture. We are posting on a metal forum btw :D

It's a bit harder to participate more nowadays than it was in the past when you had metal stores around etc. You could meet people that way and become more actively involved, but with age that sort of thing matters less.

Even if there were metal stores still around, I probably wouldn't go to them much anyway. It's a different era, and I'm no longer a young kid with time to burn, but once upon a time that was something I looked forward to. i.e late teens/early 20's.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:02 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Well, to quote Wikipedia (which granted, is not always the most reliable source of information) on the subject of ‘Heavy Metal Subculture’

Quote:
Fans of heavy metal music have created their own subculture which encompasses more than just appreciation of the style of music.

Which I would tend to agree with. Apart from attending the odd show, and the few band tees that still fit, I probably wouldn’t qualify as what would generally be considered metalhead, or the very least that cliched stereotype that is generally associated with subculture.

Maybe I just feel that way because I was never part of a community like that. All those that I associated with were quite diverse with different interests and backgrounds, just that we had a common bond over heavier music (I would probably have to include hardcore in that equation as well - to me it’s part of the same family tree, but I know for some metal and hardcore are oil and water). So it never really felt like a homogeneous subculture for us. There was not one battle vest amongst us.

Short aside, I would occasionally go to the metal nights at various bars in Sydney to see bands, in amongst the metal DJs’s sets, and a lot of the people there seemed more engrossed in the subculture than my friends and I. I remember seeing one band, and one of the guys I got talking to mentioned he liked the band, and they were the only band with clean singing he didn’t mind.

Anyway I think I’m rambling, stringing thought bubbles together now. Just dealing with my own Metal Warrior inadequacies :D

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I reckon that is an old fashioned idea now that comes from the days when metal fans were required to wear a uniform and there was a more rebellious working class aspect to it.

There was an anthropologist that was big into metal that used to post in various places online back in the late 90s and early 00s and he basically said that metalheads aren't really part of a culture or community because they have no shared values other than vaguely aesthetic ones. i.e they vary on politics, education etc

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

That’s probably a fair accessment. It’s certainly not much Heavy Metal Parking Lot these days.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'm getting out of here if we're anything to do with the New Romantics!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
That’s probably a fair accessment. It’s certainly not much Heavy Metal Parking Lot these days.

A lot of stereotypes were reinforced in Arnett's book from 1996, Metalheads: Heavy Metal Music And Adolescent Alienation, whose research has been heavily criticised since that time.

People like to cling to these old stereotypes because they seem to make intuitive sense, but I think the whole alienated/socially maladjusted thing only really applies on the fringe, just like it does for many other subcultures. Metal is no exception in this regard.

For most people I know, metal is entertaining and/or provides stress relief. In the latter case, it is no different from going to the gym or taking up boxing, but we don't tend to psycho-pathologise people who participate in these activities.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

SLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEEEERRRRRRR

That is all.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:

That is all.

You's only init for the machismo. :|

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Moth wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:

That is all.

Are you coming on to me?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Moth wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:

That is all.

Are you coming on to me?

Playing the old socratic method game, eh?

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I wonder if I'm going through a Balkan turbo-folk (pop) "phase". First Katarina, then Jelena & now Emanuela!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-folk

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47543875

...in other news, bears do, indeed, shun indoor washrooms in favour of more external facilities.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

doomrider wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47543875

...in other news, bears do, indeed, shun indoor washrooms in favour of more external facilities.

This just in, water is wet.

I guess the PMRC was wrong?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2