www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Coroner vs. Voivod
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Coroner vs. Voivod 

Coroner vs. Voivod
Coroner 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Voivod 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

Coroner vs. Voivod 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Coroner vs. Voivod
Which technically skilled scifi thrash band did you love more in the older days?
Which band wins out for albums that you still play consistently today?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Coroner vs. Voivod
Voivod pretty easily. Coroner were a band I liked but never really warmed to somehow... on the other hand Voivod were awesome from 1984 til 1993 taking me on a journey from total garage thrash to Indie rock via Pink Floyd. Plus the artwork was great too.

Coroner, well... oddly enough I'm reading the book about Noise records at the moment and it's already made me listen to Helloween again, so maybe when I get to Coroner it will inspire me to dig those out as well. Punishment for Decadence was always my favourite although Grin is quite cool in it's own little way.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Voivod. I've never been pushed about Coroner and even though I think the first few Voivod albums are nigh on unlistenable, Nothingface and Phobos are two of my favourite metal albums.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

As much as I love Voivod, I came upon Coroner first and quite early in my metal experience, and they were always a big part of my listening. I've just always loved Tommy T. Baron's style, and how the band managed to make some complex ideas come across as really simple, both in their playing and in their arrangement.

I suppose you could say the same with Voivod in that regard as well - Piggy's guitar and riffing style was always very unique and helped define their sound - but in the end familiarity has got the best of me.

I still listen to both of them these days at any rate.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:47 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

It's a very close call but I'm gonna go with Coroner simply because their peaks were a touch higher in my opinion. "Mental Vortex" is my favourite record from either band.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Coroner benefits from their shorter career span as well. They really didn’t release anything sub-par (depending on how you feel about their groovier, industrial-tinged Grin from 1993). Not that Voivod had any stinkers, but the variance in quality fluctuates, especially once you get past their classic 80s and early-90s material. The last decade they feel a bit like a legacy act (that sounds more disparaging then intended, but once they lost Piggy, they lost a big part of their identity).

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Voivod by a light year. Fuck Coroner.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]