www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Album Of The Year 2019
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Album Of The Year 2019 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Album Of The Year 2019
This is why we need to keep metal forums alive. Not just facebook or whatever popularity contest social media that's out there right now.

Threads like this is where we can share as a community what we're excited about and learn from each other. There are bands up there I didn't know released new albums this last year.

And the one that I do know of and agree is a top contender - Possessed! Just great to have an album after all this time that actually sounds like a Possessed album.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^This thread reminded me to pick up that Possessed album. For some reason I completely forgot about it!

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

SPINY: I haven't picked up a Devy album since Deconstruction. He is very hit and miss for me. Is Empath his best in a while?

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:28 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

If I had heard many things from this last year, Car Bomb ran away with the titular prize by a mile anyway. Also they done one of the best live performances I've ever seen/heard at the Animals As Leaders show in August. Ridiculously multi-dimensioned and complicated, going all-in on the cerebral aspect but somehow catchy and intriguing and tantalizing, basically this guy is the Mew Two of drumming (except: no cold heart) (probably). Once again a record fully stacked with things that are interesting to me - 3 CB records in a row that have straight floored me. I like these a LOT, wish they'd put out more frequently ('07, '12, '16, '19 - knockin a year off the lag each time) but I appreciate why that isn't a thing.

Also opposite end of the spectrum - I really liked Muerte by Will Haven. One of my favourite shouting vocalists and this record was a fookin barnstormer. Big, sloppy, goo-ey hardcore-adjacent goodness. They've hung onto the atmospheric elements that marked the later phase of the band, but still got that stripped back slamming thing. Very strong.

Didn't mind the Tool record but it's gonna take so long to just be able to take it at face value, I don't even feel like I can 'hear' it properly, my brain has just gone into noise mode a few times when I've put it on. I have no idea when the complication of the big gap and the expectations is gonna wear off, wasn't Album Of The Year but it... it sure happened.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Probably a 3 way tie between Devourment, Mayhem, and Cattle Decap

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 pm
Profile YIM
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
SPINY: I haven't picked up a Devy album since Deconstruction. He is very hit and miss for me. Is Empath his best in a while?

Empath is batshit mental tbh.
There's something for everyone on there, regardless of mental condition.

Seriously, it's mad as fuck.
I like it, but some of it makes Deconstruction sound commercial.

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Have you heard his latest material? Today he released a cover of We Like To Party by the fucking Vengaboys, and it's as bad as you'd expect.

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

To be fair I remember Devin Townsend talking about Vengaboys about 2 decades ago when he was making the Physicist album or when he was talking about a project with Jason Newstead. Don't want to hear it..

I saw him live in December and it was excellent, properly quality, but I find his records irritating nowadays. Fed up of his riffs and of the massively overused multilayer choral vocals. Empath is decent and the vision/scope is actually really impressive, but mitigated by wrapping them up in those same old ideas that make all of his bald era records sound so samey.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Have you heard his latest material? Today he released a cover of We Like To Party by the fucking Vengaboys, and it's as bad as you'd expect.

I have not.
I will soon though.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2