www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398
 Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week! 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week!

Warlock - "Burning The Witches" (1984)

Can - "Tago Mago" (1971)

Grave Digger - "Heavy Metal Breakdown" (1984)

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:36 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

^^The new Clutch sounds better than the last one to me. It's tight as nails and sounds great.

They are so consistent.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Switched it up from the usual horrorshow and listened to some rock and metal stuff from 2003/4. Thought I may as well share thoughts on them.

Mastodon - Remission - haven't listened to this for years now, since I went off Mastodon generally (Blood Mountain time). I rate them, it's just not really moving me. This is heavy as fuck but the tail end of it seems less remarkable now, just those kinda meandering nice guitar compositions jammed out that sound uniquely Mastodon, but also a bit too-much-so considering how much of *that* they've put out since this. I liked it when they went in real hard between those jams, the rocking stuff on here kicks ass and the opening 2 tracks are devastating. Insert Gojira RE:"From Mars To Sirius" for almost identical breakdown of said record (track 6 for that one!) and my impressions of the output afterwards.

Carry On - A Life Less Plagued - OK, didn't totally neglect the usual choices. This has been out ages, can't believe that such a short record has had such resistance to diminishing returns and still gets me amped up. It's so deliciously luxuriously ironic that this might be explained by me receiving a dopamine response from listening to a straight edge band's straight edge record. Not out of nastiness or disrespect, but as a cynic and a cunt that is some real value there. Best of both worlds.

Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder - curiosity, this one, with what seems a bit of a forgotten record. Production (Brendan O'Brien) is so on point on this, I love the sound and a lot of the playing. Unfortunately a bit spoiled by a lyricist (who's actually decent, but...) who constantly steers things into WET.. Sensitivity in your artistry is one thing, but encroaching on such wet territory diminishes any impression of ever being not wet; it it spoils the theatre of e.g.aggression, anger, talking tough and all, which actually accounts for the majority of the rest of the record. A lot of that stuff misses the mark for me, I'm not usually affected by lyrical dynamics but they're really disparate here. So personally there seems to be a black dog experience that stops the question of whether Incubus are good group from mattering. I'm mostly just regarding them, feeling distanced and not that involved in it. At this point in their discography at least. But also I'm struggling to fault this in an objective way, it's a well-made record with a handful of fat to trim. The title track really is a great tune.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

FlockaJawaka wrote:
Switched it up from the usual horrorshow and listened to some rock and metal stuff from 2003/4. Thought I may as well share thoughts on them.

Mastodon - Remission - haven't listened to this for years now, since I went off Mastodon generally (Blood Mountain time). I rate them, it's just not really moving me. This is heavy as fuck but the tail end of it seems less remarkable now, just those kinda meandering nice guitar compositions jammed out that sound uniquely Mastodon, but also a bit too-much-so considering how much of *that* they've put out since this. I liked it when they went in real hard between those jams, the rocking stuff on here kicks ass and the opening 2 tracks are devastating. Insert Gojira RE:"From Mars To Sirius" for almost identical breakdown of said record (track 6 for that one!) and my impressions of the output afterwards.

Carry On - A Life Less Plagued - OK, didn't totally neglect the usual choices. This has been out ages, can't believe that such a short record has had such resistance to diminishing returns and still gets me amped up. It's so deliciously luxuriously ironic that this might be explained by me receiving a dopamine response from listening to a straight edge band's straight edge record. Not out of nastiness or disrespect, but as a cynic and a cunt that is some real value there. Best of both worlds.

Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder - curiosity, this one, with what seems a bit of a forgotten record. Production (Brendan O'Brien) is so on point on this, I love the sound and a lot of the playing. Unfortunately a bit spoiled by a lyricist (who's actually decent, but...) who constantly steers things into WET.. Sensitivity in your artistry is one thing, but encroaching on such wet territory diminishes any impression of ever being not wet; it it spoils the theatre of e.g.aggression, anger, talking tough and all, which actually accounts for the majority of the rest of the record. A lot of that stuff misses the mark for me, I'm not usually affected by lyrical dynamics but they're really disparate here. So personally there seems to be a black dog experience that stops the question of whether Incubus are good group from mattering. I'm mostly just regarding them, feeling distanced and not that involved in it. At this point in their discography at least. But also I'm struggling to fault this in an objective way, it's a well-made record with a handful of fat to trim. The title track really is a great tune.

I like Remission but I thought Leviathan rendered it largely irrelevant, with the exception of a couple of tracks.

As far as Gojira are concerned: I love their talent, their ethics, their live performances, their song writing, their adoption of less "metal" aesthetics; however, I do find their albums a little inconsistent, with some tracks disappearing into the background. From Mars to Sirius is an awesome record, though.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:11 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Boston Strangler : fire

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:38 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FlockaJawaka wrote:
Mastodon - Remission - haven't listened to this for years now, since I went off Mastodon generally (Blood Mountain time). I rate them, it's just not really moving me. This is heavy as fuck but the tail end of it seems less remarkable now, just those kinda meandering nice guitar compositions jammed out that sound uniquely Mastodon, but also a bit too-much-so considering how much of *that* they've put out since this. I liked it when they went in real hard between those jams, the rocking stuff on here kicks ass and the opening 2 tracks are devastating.

Agree that the album is pretty front loaded. After "Ol'e Nessie", there isn't much real greatness to be found, but I still find the material to be quite strong on the whole, just less impressive than it's on the first half.

The album has stood up pretty well, although it perhaps seems less impressive now than it did in 2002, mostly because this type of fluid mix of styles is more commonplace today and they were an unknown entity back then who hadn't really spread their wings or fulfilled their potential. It's only natural that 16 years later the album will carry a different 'message', regardless of whether you heard it at the time or not.

doomrider wrote:
I like Remission but I thought Leviathan rendered it largely irrelevant, with the exception of a couple of tracks.

I like Leviathan a lot, but it's completely different album really, and I must confess that I found it somewhat disappointing when I heard it, possibly because it was less heavy.

I guess many Mastodon fans would argue that Remission was the sound of a band finding its way, so to speak, and they became better songwriters over time. I get where they are coming from, but Mastodon's 'songwriting' is often hit and miss, and one's response to their more straightforward material will largely depend on their attitude towards the clean vocals, which is perfectly understandable.

doomrider wrote:
As far as Gojira are concerned: I love their talent, their ethics, their live performances, their song writing, their adoption of less "metal" aesthetics; however, I do find their albums a little inconsistent, with some tracks disappearing into the background. From Mars to Sirius is an awesome record, though.

I don't think they are great songwriters. They have cool riffs and a big sound, but nothing sticks for me, even after repeated exposure

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Def Leppard - "High 'n' Dry" (1981)

Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force - "Rising Force" (1984)

Gotham City - "The Unknown" (1984)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398