www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 4209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 211  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
Paris Chrome wrote:
Alien: Covenant

Far too disappointed by this whole schmozzle to even muster up even a half assed review of sorts.

Misses so many opportunities and plays out like an afterthought - an added "chapter" tacked on to the end of Prometheus to stop the fan boys from whining so much.

Really there is no other reason for this film to exist other than "hey guys! Aliens!"

2 fists (just)

What did you think of the scenery? It was shot in Milford Sound here in NZ, which is supposed to be one of the all time great wildernesses. It's just a bloody freezing, windblown mountain with a bit of water in it and infested by sandflies as far as I'm concerned.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat May 13, 2017 8:29 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

The scenery was lovely.

Sun May 14, 2017 4:09 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This but I'm sure I watched it in the 80's. Best part is The Ramones off course.

Last edited by blacklorre on Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:42 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Alien Covenant had a softish opening weekend. It made 42 million in 34 markets. I had a feeling it wasn't going to make a killing.

It performed a fuck of a lot better than Guy Ritchie's King Arthur though, which cost 175 million to make and only grossed $14.7 million from 3,702 theaters in the US and 20 million in 50 or so other markets.

That film had bomb written all over it, and I still have no idea why these damn films keep getting financed. Barely any of them make any serious money. The last King Arthur film with Keira Knightley just broke even apparently.

Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am

What's even more unbelievable is that both Guy Ritchie and Warner Bros apparently planned to milk the King Arthur Universe for several more films in the coming years.

Baffling, considering the initial test screenings for King Arthur were so negative it was pushed back nearly 10 months. Not to mention the fact that no one cares about that kind of shit anymore.

Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I wasn't aware of that. 10 months? Jesus! Too many of these Hollywood asshole are counting their chickens well before they hatch!

HARD TIMES: Rewatch, new Eureka blu-ray. Looks great. One of Walter Hill's best films. Bronson is a total bad ass as a broke street fighter trying to get by during the depression, and he was in seriously great shape, especially for a man in his 50's. It's a simple story told in a completely unadorned way, and while you could accuse of it lacking ambition, it doesn't miss any of its targets. Coburn is also great as his shady manager, and the fight scenes are totally realistic. You can really feel the bare knuckle body blows delivered swiftly by aged brawlers. Great stuff.

Bronson makes The Rock and Diesel look like fucking pansies!

4/5

Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Just watch Excalibur, for fuck's sake. Although both the DVD and the Blu Ray editions have been utter shite

Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Stat_Rad wrote:
HARD TIMES: Rewatch, new Eureka blu-ray. Looks great. One of Walter Hill's best films. Bronson is a total bad ass as a broke street fighter trying to get by during the depression, and he was in seriously great shape, especially for a man in his 50's. It's a simple story told in a completely unadorned way, and while you could accuse of it lacking ambition, it doesn't miss any of its targets. Coburn is also great as his shady manager, and the fight scenes are totally realistic. You can really feel the bare knuckle body blows delivered swiftly by aged brawlers. Great stuff.

Incredible film, sadly it is often overlooked. Definitely one of Bronson's best films and performances.

Stat_Rad wrote:
Bronson makes The Rock and Diesel look like fucking pansies!

4/5

Amen to that. And he had some serious acting chops too, which makes all the difference.

Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Paris Chrome wrote:
Alien: Covenant

Far too disappointed by this whole schmozzle to even muster up even a half assed review of sorts.

Misses so many opportunities and plays out like an afterthought - an added "chapter" tacked on to the end of Prometheus to stop the fan boys from whining so much.

Really there is no other reason for this film to exist other than "hey guys! Aliens!"

2 fists (just)

^ Pretty much agreed. Like a compilation of all the previous movies - spot the bit from number 1! Spot the bit from number 2! etc. On the plus side I liked the opening sets and spaceships and all that. Some of the blood and death was pretty good. It had tits.

SPOILER........SPOILER........SPOILER.....SPOILER........SPOILER........SPOILER.....SPOILER........SPOILER....
How did she know it was David and not Walter at the last second before she goes into hyper-sleep? She asks him will he help her build her log cabin. He says nothing. Then she realises it's David! :?:

Stat_Rad wrote:
Alien Covenant had a softish opening weekend. It made 42 million in 34 markets. I had a feeling it wasn't going to make a killing.
The cinema we watched it in was about a quarter full.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The One True Wretch wrote:
Amen to that. And he had some serious acting chops too, which makes all the difference.

Had a feeling you would agree with me on this. It's unfortunate that he didn't get the chance to act much.

ROBIT: Prometheus left a bad taste, so I think many people are probably a little hesitant. If word of mouth was stronger, I'm sure fans and casual fans alike would flock to the cinemas in droves, but reports seem to be mixed.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:12 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Mixed? Have there been any good reviews for this one at all?

It's way too long as well. It could've easily lost 20 minutes. There were loads of feelings bits throughout.

I forgot there is an excellent set based on the Arnold Bocklin painting in this new one. Some of the designs and sets in it are really great. That has to be said.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Mixed? Have there been any good reviews for this one at all?

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/alien-covenant

Tue May 16, 2017 10:23 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Somone on that page talks about it being a hybrid of all the other films - which was my point as well. But it just serves to remind you how good those initial 2 movies were compared to this one.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I liked Alien 3 a lot when I was a teen, but now it seems heavily flawed and kind of ordinary. I thought Resurrection was balls in 97/98 and haven't bothered revisiting it.

It has been over 30 years since they last made a great Alien film. I'm not holding my breath, and quite frankly I find Scott's decision to take ownership over the franchise more than a little odd after all these years, especially as he didn't make the only great Alien film. It would make more sense if he took that stance towards Blade Runner.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

So, Alien Covenant then...

Bit of a mixed bag tbh. The parts which serve as a sequel to Prometheus work a lot better than the parts which act as a prequel to Alien.

Also, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but there's more than a hint of studio interference about the whole thing.

The bad:
1. Takes too long to get going, and feels rushed when it does.
2. Far too many RANDOM LOUD JUMP-NOISES.
3. Some frankly laughable dialogue.
4. Cheesy use of the Prometheus theme tune.
5. Unsatisfying conclusion underscored by obvious thing at the end already being massively obvious.

The good:
1. SFX, cinematography, and interesting creature design.
2. Danny McBride.
3. James Franco's character.
4. Nice use of the original Alien score.
5. Lots of blood, acid, and drool.
6. The Fassbender

3 Fists

Mindhorn
Not as batshit bonkers as I hoped but still enjoyable silliness. Sort of like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace meets Jason King and Bergerac.
3 Fists

Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Spiny Norman wrote:
obvious thing at the end already being massively obvious.

Yes! Did they honestly think the audience did not know that THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME?

Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

When King Arthur pulls the sword out of the stone, it cuts to a shot of a pitbull growling :lol: :lol: Guy Ritchie is a fucking joke :lol:

starts at 7.48

Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

There are many films I'm looking forward to seeing at the cinema or watching on Blu ray.
This is not one of them.

There are many films which I'm looking forward to illegally downloading.
This isn't even one of them.

Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

robitusson wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
obvious thing at the end already being massively obvious.

Yes! Did they honestly think the audience did not know that THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME?

Just back from seeing it and this (and a slightly anticlimacric ending) aside, I loved it. Lots of nice nods to Alien, without them seeming intrusive. I probably should have watched both of the prologues, though.

Wed May 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Untouchable (Original title: Intouchables)

French comedy drama about a a wealthy quadriplegic called Philippe and his live-in caregiver Driss, an ex con who originally just goes to the job interview to get a signature showing he was interviewed so he will get his dole. Then they get up to all sorts of shenanigans involving hookers, pot, a car chase in a Maserati, and a souped-up electric wheelchair.

Genuinely one of the funniest and most touching films I've seen in years.

5 fists.

Sat May 20, 2017 12:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 4209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 211  Next