www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250
 Film Thread VI 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Film Thread VI
It was on the Horror channel the other night, I recorded it on a whim. Might pass a couple of hours. That cheesy guy who I only remember from an episode of Star Trek TNG (Matt McCoy) seems to be the lead, but Ferrer is usually fun.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yeah, it's also got Taurean Blacque from Hill Street Blues, Greg Evigan from My Two Dads (and father of the rather lovely Briana), and Elya Basin (aka that actor they hire whenever they want an amusing, heavily accented Russian - see Spider-Man 2/3, Air Force One, Spy Hard, Moscow on the Hudson etc. etc.)

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Benchley = forgotten author.

Haven't seen The Deep on decades. I just recall the poster misrepresenting the tone of the film.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Spiny Norman wrote:
My favourite out of Leviathan and The Rift which came out around the same time. Most of the monster action comes in the last half hour but there's enough action to keep the interest up. Miguel Ferrer's character is such a fucking weasel.

And Ferris Bueller's mother!

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Favourite: imagine a poor man's The Draughtman's Contract shot like a Kubrick film mixed with a bit of Welles. Has its moments, but it's bloody overrated. 5.5/10

Suspiria (2018): this director likes Aronofsky more than Argento. Black Swan must be one of his favs. Has some moments but pretty drab and lifeless overall. Silly too. 4.5 or 5.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:54 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Agree about The Favourite (although I liked it a little more than you - and compared to the more recent Mary Queen of Scots, it's a masterpiece) but I loved the new Suspiria, even if it did go on too long.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^The big gory scene at the end was ruined by Yorke's crap music. The director was too concerned with being respectable. and that fat old witch with glasses was like something out of Star Wars :lol:

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
GREEN BOOK
At this time of year, one film always stands out as total Oscar bait, and this year it's Green Book. In fact, if there was a guidebook to winning Oscars, then this film read it from back to front and back again.
A true story (ding!) about racism (ding!) in the deep south, the story, brimming with social commentary (ding!) follows a black (ding!), gay (ding!) musician (Mahershala Ali) (ding!) and his racist Italian New York (ding!) chauffeur/bodyguard/gopher Viggo Mortensen as they tour across the states, beginning the film disliking each other but becoming friends by the end (ding, ding, ding!).

The thing is, although being as utterly obvious as it sounds, it's still a damn good film, with Ali nailing one standout piece of "Oscar moment" dialogue. It's dark, racist, and harsh, but also bittersweet and funny (ding!), and just a thoroughly enjoyable film, rather surprisingly directed by Peter Farrelly (There's Something About Mary, Shallow Hal, Stuck On You, Dumb and Dumber).
4 Fists.

I just watched this. I'd give it a strong 3 personally, but I can't disagree with anything you said. It is a well written and acted film. Viggo and Mahershala have good chemistry, and I didn't pick up on any ill intent by the film makers. The film seems slightly dated in some respects, more like the racially themed films of the 90's and early 00's, but not really in a bad way.

It's nothing special, basically the modern Driving Miss Daisy as Spike Lee says, but I much preferred it to BlackKklansman, and there are far worse films that have won best picture. e.g Crash etc.

The fact that it was a surprisingly big hit is good news for Farrelly who hasn't really had a real success in a long time. Dumb and Dumber To doesn't count, that was just a nostalgia piece. He doesn't seem at all uncomfortable directing this sort of material, and perhaps his future lies in middlebrow dramas like Green Book.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250